Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle update "if your interested"

Rifle update "if your interested"

Hello All

WOOOHOO,,, ok I am calm now,,, Following some of your advice, I contacted Mr Goodman about a Shiloh he had in stock,,, Long story short I am sending funds next week (Early) and should have my fat sweat soaked fingers on it in a couple of weeks...

Sorry I am bout ta bust Bear Claw
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Boolit Master
    BC,

So which one did you get?

Jon

What Cal?
    How long a pipe?
    Don't keep us in suspenders!
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

Details Boy! DETAILS!!

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hartford Sporter .45-70, 32" heavy oct. barrel, full buckhorn rear sight (pewter tip and Hartford collar standard on this model), extra fancy hand select walnut for dark color and dense burl grain, steel shotgun butt plate, brass escutcheons (note: this one came through with better than standard wood finish- near AA quality probably because of the high wood grade. Per Bill Goodman

Bear Claw
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Boolit Grand Master

Bear Claw;
    I'll tell you one thing, you got the right caliber. The first one should ALWAYS be the 45/70 IMHO . It is the easiest to get to working well, there are tons of components, brass, and bullet moulds at reasonable prices. It is also a grand caliber in general.

Now, you need to order up a case of Black Powder. If you can afford it after buying a Shiloh, I can recommend Swiss Black 1½. If you are feeling faint in your wallet area, then Goex 2F or Cartridge will work well. In the Goex line, I prefer Cartridge for Black Powder Cartridge Rifles.

I can also recommend that you buy Steve Garbe's and Mike Venturino's book, "The Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer". It is a bit dated but just chock full of relevant information. SPG lube is fine but White Label Black Powder Lube will work well, also, and is MUCH less expensive. I use Emmert's Home Mix (50% pure natural Beeswax, 40% Crisco and 10% Canola Oil. Melt the lube in a double boiler to prevent overheating of the lube.

I also recommend a lead/tin mix (I used 30/1 lead/tin) for a bullet alloy.

Hope some of this information is of help to you.

Dale53

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Claw View Post
    Hartford Sporter .45-70, 32" heavy oct. barrel, full buckhorn rear sight (pewter tip and Hartford collar standard on this model), extra fancy hand select walnut for dark color and dense burl grain, steel shotgun butt plate, brass escutcheons (note: this one came through with better than standard wood finish- near AA quality probably because of the high wood grade. Per Bill Goodman

Bear Claw
    When you get it we will need pictures of the rifle.

Thanks for the kind words,, & yep I will post some pics.... Bear Claw

Moderator Emeritus
    Bearclaw,

Now you've gone and got me real jealous!

I hope it works for you; and as the others have warned er' said now you need a mold, another mold, still another mold, don't forget another mold and still more molds and the metal to pour them.

On a serious note; SPG lube and their reloading primer book would be a good start. I have the book now I NEED the rifle. Shiloh or C. Sharps?

Good luck and keep asking those questions.

Don't forget the pictures or we will haunt you.

John.

Bearclaw,

The really cool thing is that it just keeps gettin' better, even if you keep gettin' poorer!

Boolit Bub

Awwwwwww!!!!

Its so much more fun to wait 14 to 16 months Once you look down that long heavy octagonal barrel and see that beautiful shiny rifling youre gonna have second thoughts about using those nasty WW's hahahaha! Just kidding Use what works. Congratulations!!!....you think you're happy now, wait till you pop open that case and see her just lying there.................

Boolit Master

Sounds like a nice one for sure! Dale, I believe, mentioned that goex is not too bad a choice of powder and I'll second that choice. I use Cartridge grade and it works nicely. Swiss is the top drawer stuff, but it comes at a premium.

BTW if you need some cast boolits to get started, let me know. I'll send you some MATCH GRADE annealed WW Lyman 457125's that weigh in at 520gr and are .460 diameter.

Keep us posted.

SS

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpsShooter View Post
    Sounds like a nice one for sure! Dale, I believe, mentioned that goex is not too bad a choice of powder and I'll second that choice. I use Cartridge grade and it works nicely. Swiss is the top drawer stuff, but it comes at a premium.

BTW if you need some cast boolits to get started, let me know. I'll send you some MATCH GRADE annealed WW Lyman 457125's that weigh in at 520gr and are .460 diameter.

Keep us posted.

SS
    SharpsShooter; I think that is indeed an honourable offer there Sir, and really shows the spirit of this board. Excited as Bearclaw is, I think he will be walking around in a stupor for a week or so, now he has his rifle sorted.

John

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bear Claw, here's the best buy for BP in the US. Trust me, I did the math ... http://www.uppermotradingco.com/black_powder.html
    You might want to consider a split case of Swiss and Schuetzen. Recognized by some but not known by many ... Schueztzen is good powder.

Both Swiss & Schuetzen use Alder Blackthorn charcoal - the best there is

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Shiloh. Fine, fine rifles!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    bear claw,

Check these out:

Go here:
    http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/

Have Fun,
    Jon

Boolit Buddy
    Purde boolets

Boolit Master

Quick question, I've seen this mentioned twice now. How do you anneal the bullets? Never though of trying that sort of thing.

Thanks
    Bob

Boolit Master

I sort after casting and place the weighted and visually inspected boolits in a shallow piepan. Not the thin ones that come from frozen pies, but the thick heavy weight model. Set them in the oven and set to 400*. Walk away for an hour and then turn off the oven and crack the door. Allow the boolits to slowly return to room temperature. Easy to do and makes those nasty WW plenty soft for BPCR shooting. I get very good accuracy and zero leading with them.

SS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Thanks SS. I actually have more pure right now than WW, so I save it for my smokeless guns. But I go through periods when the opposite is true, and that will be good to know. I used to have several friends that worked for the phone companies and cable sheathing and solder was easy to come by. Unfortunately they have all retired so things might get critical somewhere down the road. I need to stock up for my own retirement, after that occurs money sure won't be plentiful. Down side to having your own service business with a limited clientel.
    Might have to throw my hat in the ring as father of whats-her-faces baby, I think I could struggle along on 480 million.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I actually have more pure right now than WW

Bob
    I am currently in the same shape with regard to WW supplies. I am mixing 4 pounds WW to 16 pounds pure. My boolit weight went up just 3 to 5 grains, depending on the design and one of the gents here on the board calculated it was nearly 35:1 ratio. I know it makes a dandy boolit.

I picked up the annealing of WW alloy boolits here. I cannot recall who posted the information, but it has served me well.

SS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast