RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 lr bpcr !!

A bulk box of the primed cases will last most a lifetime. I been working on mine since the early 80's and I still have more then 1/2 left and I gave a bunch away.
    The long range .22 silhouette shooters used these primed cases to get a more powerful long rifle load before the .22 mag was excepted for this type of shooting.
    Baja that is a fine looking bullet. Let us know how they shoot.
    4 grains of 3F KIK seems to work very good for me with out fouling control.
    I give the bullet a light coating of straight lanolin by rolling them over a case lube pad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    Now, THAT'S cool!
    +1! Really neat.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I give the bullet a light coating of straight lanolin by rolling them over a case lube pad.
    Thanks Lead pot for the idea. Pan lubing is a pain and Alox doesn't seem to work well, even though the velocity is less than smokeless.
    Believe I'll mix the lanolin with some jojoba oil and mix it with graphite - then roll them. Harry Pope used graphite in his lubes - so why not give it a try too!
    Regards
    John

I tried the graphite all it goes is make a mess.
    I would use a very light coating of STP or motor honey straight before using Graphite.

Boolit Master

Question

Baja, I have looked at the barrel liners on BACO's site, thought it might be a fun thing, now you really have my interest up. I'll be following your thread to see how well it works.

Was there a reason you picked that one over the Lee Shaver's ?

Also why do you sift the BP ? I know nothing about loading BP other then what I've learned here. This is so KOOL.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master

UNREAL Test Results!!

So went to the range this morning for the big test day - it was packed! No room on the main range, so I was sent up to the pistol range. This limited my testing to only 50 yards this outing - no fancy benches, no sandbags - just my elbows propped on the pistol bench doing my best to stay still.
    The first thing I did was insert a ring in the Lyman 17a front sight to match the 50 yard black. That worked awesome to keep me near exact on center. I made no sight adjustments to the williams rear - it started a touch high, so I just left it there.
    My first 10 shot group in the upper left was with the Walmart bulk I used to shoot - it works well in this rifle at short range, but gets the occasional flier at 100 yards. Next was the aguila I'm shooting now in the upper right, short range about the same, but it maintains its group out to 100 yards.
    Now comes the fun part - I fired 10 fouling shots in the lower right target. They are the ones that tended to string out to the left. Next I reloaded the 39a and placed 10 careful shots for score in the lower left target. I was nearly jumping out of my skin at the result - to say I'm thrilled with the results is an understatement! After that, I shot the remainder of the box back on the right target looking carefully for any accuracy fall off due to fouling. 50 shots and no loss in accuracy at all! I honestly think I could have shot another 50 no problem! Gotta get the pot fired up - next time long range testing at 100 and 200 yards!
    Shooting black powder in a .22 is so fun! A nice small puff of black powder smoke - more black powder smoke wafting in my nose when I cycle the action - just like grampa used to experience!
    I have to say the lube recipe given to me by an old geezer up at LASC is the best - 1 pound Beeswax, 1/2 pound Lanolin and 1/2 pound Canola Oil - all by weight. Works great in the 45-70, and now great in the .22

Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 10-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Boolit Master

6.5 Mike -

I picked the Crossno liner over the Lee Shaver because the Lee Shaver uses a little adapter cartridge to put the .22 in, while the Crossno uses a little screwdriver to pick the case out of the chamber (no extractors on either of them). One is just as accurate as the other from what I've read, but the Lee Shaver takes a bit longer to reload because of that adapter. I felt that in a match when you have a certain amount of time to make your shots, the quicker cycle time of the Crossno is a benefit.

I didn't sift any of my powder. I used it straight out of the container as sent by Swiss. The theory of sifting it to get uniform granulations for consistent burn. I feel if you have a compressed load it will burn the same regardless.
    Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 10-22-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Master

Cleanup -

It took 9 Hoppe's soaked patches to get the bore clean - all fed with no resistance on the jag start to finish. Another Hoppe's soaked patch wiped around the action with a pair of hemostats showed no fouling at all - which I suspected as there was zero blowby on any of the spent cases I examined.

Now to the pot to cast more!

Here's how it all started - w44wcf pulled the heads on original UMC 22LR rounds and reloaded them with black powder:

Then w44wcf used the Lyman 225438's ...

The I loaded some Lyman 225438's - 40 shots @ 50yds: Stevens Favorite with FAT Beech front sight

Next test, I shot 25 Lyman's @ 50yds: JM Marlin Ballard

Now it's switch over time with the Mos custom mold of the UMC bullet ... Traveler with the 1st reload targets - W44wcf will be shooting his reloads next week and bringing up the rear: me when my mold arrives!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Cool

Thanks guys, now you've really got me thinking about this. This is the most fun thread I've read in awhile.

Mike, believe that UMC and Peters stopped making BP 22LR's about 1915. That's why w44wcf named this project ... Stepping Back Into Time!
    Regards
    John

Back about 1953 I could still buy Peters blk powder .22's for about 11-12 cents a box. The cases were nickel cases not brass at the local Farmers Elevator, plus a lot of less smoke ammo was to be had too.

Boolit Master

John Boy, my wife is going to be REAL unhappy with you three,LOL.

Boolit Master

Just tell her it keeps you off the streets and out of the bars - works for me anyway...

I got into a real casting rhythm yesterday afternoon - cast up 300 more. Lubed and loaded 100 today. The more I load these, the easier it gets as I find little short cuts and make better tools to speed the assembly process up. Today I soldered up a handle to a spent case to make a powder dipper, then used a little gadget intended for pouring medicine in pill caplets to fill the case. I'm getting a good system down.
    Now I'm kicking myself for not collecting up used .22 boxes out of the trash cans at the range!

Boolit Mold
    G'day from down-under.
    We are just getting into BPCR silhouette here and are yet to shoot a .22 match. Went to a shoot ( RMS ) in Tumut NSW on the week-end and a couple of us took our BPCR guns with Lee Shaver inserts to have a play and show others. We used them in a novelty shoot which was basically CLAS smallbore.

Question- How do you fellas go knocking over the rams at 200m?
    Plenty of folks down here are having trouble with them at 100m with their CLAS smallbore rifles.

Taps

P.S. Can someone confirm the distances for .22 BPCR for me please.

Boolit Master
    This is one of the neatest things I've seen in a while. If there was a way to get primed brass without having to pull bullets from bulk ammo, I would be doing this. Way too cool, too bad the primed brass isn't easier to get.

Taps, I won't swear to the distances for the .22 BPCR, but normal smallbore silhouette that is shot with 22 rimfire uses 1/5 scale targets at 1/5 distances from highpower. Or Chickens - 40m, pigs- 60m, turkeys- 77m, and rams at 100m.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Can someone confirm the distances for .22 BPCR for me please.
    Taps, the NRA 22LR smallbore silhouette distances are:
    * Ten Gallina (chicken) targets at 40 meters (or yards).
    * Ten Javelina (pig) targets at 60 meters (or yards).
    * Ten Guajalote (turkey) targets at 77 meters (or yards).
    * Ten Borrego (ram) targets at 100 meters (or yards).

Here's what w44wcf did with these new fangled 22LR reloads can do at 100 meters on the Rams:

Here's the NRA Rule book for Silhouette Matches ...
    http://www.vc4hss.com/Air_Rifle/info...ette_Rules.pdf

Question- How do you fellas go knocking over the rams at 200m?
    I use a Winchester 30-30 with a Williams receiver site and a Lyman 17A fore sight. A lot of shooters use Marlins
    Last edited by John Boy; 10-23-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

The long range match held at Pala uses 1/4 scale targets from the one shown above. The 200 yard ram is only 6-8 inches tall - it is a very tiny target! But it has to be - there is hardly any energy left in a .22 long rifle at that range...

It's not the same match as the usual silhouette shoot normally topping out at 100...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    Baja, I have looked at the barrel liners on BACO's site, thought it might be a fun thing, now you really have my interest up. I'll be following your thread to see how well it works.

Was there a reason you picked that one over the Lee Shaver's ?

Also why do you sift the BP ? I know nothing about loading BP other then what I've learned here. This is so KOOL.
    6.5 Mike -

Just got my liner, and did a test fit. Discovered that my BP rounds stop short of the chamber by over 1/10 inch. Reading the instructions (yea, I admit I did it after the fact) I discovered that these liners are match reamed, and even with regular ammo it is advised to make a push stick out of 3/8 dowel and a cabinet knob to seat the bullet into the rifling with the heel of your hand.

These boolits have a much fatter nose than out of the box stuff, and I felt it would be too much effort to go through that, so I tried my Sharps Camming Tool. Mine is aluminum and slotted so no contact is made on the primer, but I found if I flipped it over the round can be very easily cammed in with little effort using the smooth side. The plastic one I linked to would work even better I think.

If you go the Crossno route - get one of these also. I pushed the bullet out with a piece of welding rod and found complete breech seated rifling coverage over the whole length of the boolit.

We'll see how it shoots this weekend.
    Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 10-26-2011 at 10:48 AM.

I pushed the bullet out with a piece of welding rod and found complete breach seated rifling coverage over the whole length of the boolit.
    Traveler, sitting on the workbench is a tray of 50 charged primed cases capped with a very thin cardboard wad. In a little clear plastic vial a spent case and a brass rod that will seat the bullets with 1/16" back in the leade .... breech seated rounds when the Mos mold arrives. Shooting 22's this way was never done to my knowledge

FYI, talking with David today, he said don't you live in PA? He shipped my 2x mold to w44wcf and was wondering who gets the single cavity. So I get a free single cavity by Saturday and w44wcf got a free 2x mold per David. When he cuts more blocks, a single goes to John and I get my two 2x molds. We both offered to pay for the erroneous mix-up but he said it's on the house after what we have gone through with the overall orders. Very nice of David
    Regards
    John

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast