Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 1892 Winchester Take-Down...update!

Boolit Master

1892 Winchester Take-Down...update!

I had to rebarrel the Winchester 1892 TD as the factory barrel proved defective.

Read all about it here:

http://rvbprecision.com/
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Roy: Great write up and the pictures were excellent. This is the best write up on takedowns I have seen!!! your work looked real nice also. So many make that button on the mag tube look bad yours is nice.

I have been going to do this conversion on various Marlins for a while now, just waiting until other projects are finished.

Damn nice job!!!

Randy

Buchanan Precision Machine
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Thanks Randy..........
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice work. It is pretty tempting to make a Win 94 TD from one of mine.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I've been working on it since 6am. The forend and forend cap came in. I'm just waiting for the tenon hanger before I cut the final dovetail for it.

It really looks sweet with the octagon barrel and Numrich sent me a beautiful forend.

I sanded it down to remove the checkering as the stock has no checkering and it looked strange with just the forend being checkered, Under the Marlin spray on finish and under the checkering was a beautiful piece of walnut....

Stay tuned!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    What an incredible peice of work, well done!

Don't kid yourself, you've got some mighty fine talent to pull off a project like that.

Of course, I need to quit looking at threads like this. I never knew about all the cool stuff that I needed until I found this place.

Roy: Nice job. You ended up with a 20" barrel?

The cool thing about this thread is that is shows others how to follow along and do this type of work.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Yes, I chopped it at 20" as I already have two 45LC rifles with 24" (Rossi 1892 454/45LC and Marlin 1894 45LC)

I think a 20" barrel is better for woods hunting. And being a TD it will pack 4" smaller.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    Oh BTW, I appreciate all the kind comments from you folks.........But some fellow named Alex sent me this message:

"I applaud your ingenuity. Guess my main question is: why did you spend so much time “trying to reinvent the wheel”? Winchester had a well engineered, proven system that has been around for over 100 years. It worked, and worked well. You took that, put on your thinking cap, took out all the good aspects, then cobbled together something that might work.
    Seems to me the only thing missing is some Elmer’s glue and duct tape."

Illegitimi non carborundum

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Oh BTW, I appreciate all the kind comments from you folks.........But some fellow named Alex sent me this message:

Guess my main question is: why did you spend so much time “trying to reinvent the wheel”?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Why? Because you can.

Don't let em beat you down, it looks fantastic.

Roy: He's jealous!!! He obviously thinks he knows something about what you're doing. I doubt he actually does as if he did he'd know you can't buy a Winchester takedown just anywhere except for the new one that is about $2000 and is hardly available.

He also doesn't know that any older Winchester take down rifle was a custom shop gun and Is probably worth more than the new ones are.

I have a pretty good idea of how all of the different rifle take down systems work, and I fail to see the relavence of his comment. Especially the part about "taking all the good points out?" What good points did you leave out? They all have essentially the same things going on, a barrel block that is timed to the threads and some way to slide the mag tube in and out to lock it in place. The only thing yours doesn't have is a way to take up slack, and neither did the Winchester Rifles! The shotguns did, but the rifles didn't,,, you sent them back to the custom shop if they ever got loose.

I doubt he knows what he is talking about. Send him over here, we'll plumb him up!

Fagedaboudit !!!!

Randy

Boolit Grand Master
    Alex is a TROLL. Very fine work, sir.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow. Nicely done. Never had more than a passing interest in TD's but I really like what you've done. Like Alex, I have no idea what I'm talking about but I know an attractive well-built rifle when I see one.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Some people are just butt heads. Alex is amazingly narrow minded.

Looks really nice and a simple conversion. Well done.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.