WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: "Handi-rifle in 7mm-08..."

Boolit Master

"Handi-rifle in 7mm-08..."

I was at a gunshop the other day and found a Handi-rifle in 7mm-08 in a youth model on sale for $ 249.00. Any thoughts? How easy would it be to get another barrel say in .357 magnum? This seems like a rare chambering (although I don't know).

I have had several bolt-action rifles but did not shoot them that much (that was before we moved to where we are near my father-in-law's farm). I have always thought 7mm-08 would be a good cartridge.

I have read that sometimes chambers may not be cut well in this caliber, wondered if that would be an issue in a Handi-rifle? Anyway, a single-shot sounds like fun.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Buddy

Wink "Barrel Accessory program"

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

this link for the barrel program, do call ahead to check that the serial number range of the rifle you have will be fit with barrel you want (pressure-rating wise) AND to check the "in stock" status/ availability of the barrel you are wanting...

I've done this at least twice,

I now own 3 or 4 H&R or NEF (Depends on vintage) Handi Rilfe frames with barrels in .410, 20g, 12g, 12g rifled iron sights, 12g rifled scoped, .308, .243, .30-30, .223 heavy barrel, .45-70, and .25-06 (and .357 mag - destined to become .357 MAX). I think I have a problem... The barrels just kept following me home Honey!?

If you want to learn tons about this platform check out GreyBeard Outdoors Forums.

Boolit Master
    Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

I only have a couple, but love em both. 7mm-08 is a really good deer cartridge and guys report good luck with em out to about 200 yards. Pretty good accuracy too. Other good calibers that are talked up lots are the .357, .30-30, 44 magnum and .45-70.

Here are mine (I'm a big bore fanatic):

.45-70 Buffalo Classic

.45LC Classic Carbine

Boolit Master
    Cool!

Boolit Master
    Tacklebury,

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for your .45 LC Classic Carbine? That is what I really want, if I could find one. Did you have to order it, or did you find it in a shop? What kind of luck have you had with it? Have you shot a deer with it?

Thanks.

exile

Sorry for the delay... Been salmon fishing. I paid $265 for the carbine from Davidson's when it was on sale. They are getting more rare now and none have been made since 2008. It is basically being discontinued, albeit they are still offering the accessory barrel some. Currently the only one's I personally have seen in stock are at Buds and this price might be beatable, but they are pretty good to work with.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/41772

I have not shot a deer with it yet although a lotta folks over at Graybeard Outdoors forums can tell you about their performance. I'm itching to get sight on critter this coming season. I did take one with the .45-70 Buffalo Classic Last year and it definitely put it down with authority.

These are the 300 gr. XTP magnums I'm shooting over 23gr. Reloader7

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I was at a gunshop the other day and found a Handi-rifle in 7mm-08 in a youth model on sale for $ 249.00. Any thoughts? How easy would it be to get another barrel say in .357 magnum? This seems like a rare chambering (although I don't know).

I have had several bolt-action rifles but did not shoot them that much (that was before we moved to where we are near my father-in-law's farm). I have always thought 7mm-08 would be a good cartridge.

I have read that sometimes chambers may not be cut well in this caliber, wondered if that would be an issue in a Handi-rifle? Anyway, a single-shot sounds like fun.

exile
    This link may help you, here you will find additional barrels offered . Keep in mind that the guys that answer the phone number on the Accessory barrel program do NOT have these numbers.....So if you send in your rifle action, send it to (Remington) Illion NY and they will install the barrels.
    I just bought three barrels from them in May, .35 Whelen,35 Remington, .222rem. Installed on two different actions...
    Grey Beard Outdoors is where you will find all the info on Handi Rifles !! Look thru the FAQ and the Handi 101 threads, very helpfull ! Good Luck ! PJ

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...,224285.0.html
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Master
    Thanks, tacklebury and papajack. Sorry to hear they are not made anymore, but that information will keep me from wasting time at gunshops looking for one. Hope the salmon fishing was good.

exile

Caught my first salmon. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by tacklebury View Post
    Caught my first salmon. 8)

Is that your blood or...

Where you fishing?

7-08 is a good cartridge. Lot like a 270, just different.

No, blood is his. lol I had to stick my finger and thumb through his gills to try to keep hold of him while the guys got the stringer out. We'd just arrived at this spot and I caught him first cast.