Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel bad for what I am about to do

Love Life

I feel bad for what I am about to do

Good morning members. A while back I posted that I had worn out my Uber cool S&W 327 PC TRR8, and that I was looking for a Ruger to replace it. I got much advice from the forum on both Rugers and a couple models of S&W that should hold up better. As I have explained before my guns are not safe queens. They are my woods and bumming guns and get a good amount of scratches and holster wear in short order. The following is the reason I feel bad:

I have decided on a new pistol. A MINT S&W model 27. It doesn't have the pinned barrel or recessed chambers, but it is pre-lock with good lockup and a double action trigger pull that is smooth as butter. The bad part is that it is nickel plated. The reason I feel bad is because it is MINT, comes with the box, and did I mention MINT. I just feel bad buying a gun this nice knowing full well what is going to happen to it. Oh yeah the out the door price is below $500
    Last edited by Love Life; 10-04-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Master

I've never owned an M27 but have owned a couple of M28s and IMO you might possibly wear out some of your own parts before a properly maintained N-frame gives up the ghost. My first one was a brand-new pre-Punta Bangor with the "duty gun" finish and it was the gun that caused me to begin casting for more than just my MLs. My best guess would be that I put 25-30,000 rounds - mostly .357s - through that gun before trading it in an M57. (btw: 40 years later, I still own...and use...the same Lyman 358156 mould I bought to feed that gun.)

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I had, given to me, a pinned mod 27 that was nickel plated. The guy that GAVE it to me also gave me the original box of Speer ammo that he bought with the gun. There were 30 rounds left unfired. Anyhow, I hate nickel, had no money invested - so I called S&W and got a price to strip and blue. Two hundred bucks. They did a beautiful job. I'm an action job away from a really, really nice piece. I love N frames. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Hold on a minute... take a deep breath, do not let your emotions get the better of you. Stay the course, stick with the plan:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...6&postcount=28

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Hold on a minute... take a deep breath, do not let your emotions get the better of you. Stay the course, stick with the plan:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...6&postcount=28
    Oh man you have a good point. It probably doesn't shoot straight anyway. I always have been a sucker for nickel plating though.

Well, on the other hand, a M27 as you describe would increase in value over time, and it's probably less than you would spend for a new GP100 or Blackhawk. Just to further muddy the waters a little.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Well, on the other hand, a M27 as you describe would increase in value over time, and it's probably less than you would spend for a new GP100 or Blackhawk. Just to further muddy the waters a little.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I bet EdK is googling gunshops in my are as we speak!

Boolit Master
    Get whatever you want. Over time I know we all toss the what-ifs around in our minds... just some faster than others

Boolit Grand Master
    There are only two downsides to a Model 27 that I can see--
    1. You can't load a 358429 in .357 brass, and
    2. They are uncomfortably large in my hands. This is strange since a Ruger Redhawk fits wonderfully.

I have had a couple of N frames, a 6 1/2" Model 25-2 and a six inch Model 28. They were accurate revolvers, but they felt just a little too big to be comfortable.

As long as you are happy, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Robert

On Heaven's Range

The S&W 27 is a wonderful piece, whatever its vintage. It will give you excellent service and ENDLESS pleasure when used as intended.

Holster it, carry it, SHOOT it....and enjoy. Guns are made for shooting, so let your descendants worry about the paltry few hundred bucks' "loss" you may incur by firing the revolver. The pleasure derived from the use of the 27 is worth a whole lot more than the monetary "loss" that might be involved.

I speak as the previous and current owner of several fine M27s. Each one is a gem!

The price you quote is an absolute steal....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Good morning members. A while back I posted that I had worn out my Uber cool S&W 327 PC TRR8, and that I was looking for a Ruger to replace it. I got much advice from the forum on both Rugers and a couple models of S&W that should hold up better. As I have explained before my guns are not safe queens. They are my woods and bumming guns and get a good amount of scratches and holster wear in short order. The following is the reason I feel bad:

I have decided on a new pistol. A MINT S&W model 27. It doesn't have the pinned barrel or recessed chambers, but it is pre-lock with good lockup and a double action trigger pull that is smooth as butter. The bad part is that it is nickel plated. The reason I feel bad is because it is MINT, comes with the box, and did I mention MINT. I just feel bad buying a gun this nice knowing full well what is going to happen to it. Oh yeah the out the door price is below $500

If you just can not bring yourself to shoot it, I will take it off of your hands, for $50 more than you paid.

Love Life
    I just got back from the gunshop. I held it, fondled it, squeezed that superb trigger again, admired how shiny it was, and...put it back. This little voice in the back of my head (probably Ed K) kept saying "what you really want is gp100. So After all the heel dragging and soul searching I put my money down on a 4 inch stainless GP100. The nickel plating was a double edged sword here. I just couldn't bring myself to put that beautiful firearm through what my hiking guns go through. I will admit that it was nice to hold a firearm that you could tell had some quality put into it.

Boolit Master
    You are beginning to sound a lot like my wife. Just kidding of course.

Boolit Master
    What's that gunshop's phone number.

EdK's younger brother...

Boolit Master

M-27 3.0

LoveofLife -

Howdy !

BY ANY CHANCE... ARE YOU RELATED TO BRETT FAVRE ?!

My gooness'.... thought we had you talked back from the brink; there !

GP100 vs M-27. For me.... apples and oranges. Or... Buick vs Cadillac, et al.

I'm not sure you ever did comment on your hand size. Those "N" frames do hold appeal for many of us larger-handed fellows. A GP100 is a whole diffrn't ball game, all-together. Even a Python ain't the same thing, as-far-as fit in the hand goes versus a M-27.

For as superb a gun as a GP100 is, I can't imagine any version of it will ever approach the accomplishments of a classic M-27 5" for perfection in balance; and control-ability when shooting full-tilt .357Mag loads. And, those 4 " and 6" .357Mag "N"-frames have virtues all their own to offer.

I'm probably in the minority, having carried some version of a .357Mag "N" frame
    for over 36yr. It's what I used in Clint Smith's handgun class ( before he went off to start " Zesty Ranch " ) when all others were campaigning .45 auto's.

It's what I shot in local competitions against the Jeff Cooper's minions, all of whom simply had-to have a "massaged" 1911. And, I shoot no-kiddin .357 MAGNUM loads.

Hope that GP works out for you !

Best of luck in your endeavors !

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Grand Master
    N-frames......just an hour ago, I was fondling a Model 625-3 at the local shop. Model of 1989, no glory hole, no MIM, but $799. And dirty from firing. Kinda rolling that one around a little, still.

I can understand your concern about cosmetically marring that nickeled M-27, but the N-frame 357s are just so darn nice. And that price was excellent. Gotta make yerself happy, though--and if the GP-100 trips your trigger it isn't our place to second-guess your selection.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    What's that gunshop's phone number.

EdK's younger brother...
    Look at the address....I didn't move to New Hampshire!

In the past 40 odd years, I've had a few Model 27s and a bunch of Model 28s. A few of them became 44 Specials back in the early 70s. They are a little heavy, but try one of the original 627s from "the gun of the week" period of the late 80s and early 90s from S&W...that's one heavy duty piece of hardware.

Your GP-100 is a 41 frame...the Model 27 is a 45 frame...overkill in a 357, but your grandkids could be shooting it with a minimum of repairs. There ain't no flies on the GP-100, but Uncle Ed would have grabbed the 27 for $500 and digging out the MILT SPARKS holster for it....d*** belt shrank in the past 15 years!

Love Life
    Idaho Sharpshooter- I regret to inform you that the revolver is no longer available. I called my buddy can't get right and described the pistol and price to him. He immediately proceeded to say many things to me that can't be typed here without me going on a 10 day vacation. Immediately after work he sped to the gunshop and bought the revolver.

Sadly to say it does shoot straight. I don't have the largest hands but the N frames are really easy for me to shoot. Especially if they don't have the finger groove grips. Now back to the story. So as we are shooting and marveling at this fine firearm, my buddy continues to rag on me. The worst part is at the end of all of it he asked me to load a couple boxes of ammo for him. He also took a picture of me shooting it on his phone and swore to e-mail me that picture everyday until either I die, he dies, or his phone dies. So soon I can conform to the picture rule.

Final price out the door. Wait for it....$489

Boolit Buddy
    Shoulda' bought and sold it. Probably would have been within' spitting distance of getting your gp100 for "free"

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Shoulda' bought and sold it. Probably would have been within' spitting distance of getting your gp100 for "free"
    That crossed my mind as well, but I know if I had bought that gun I would have held on to it for a while and the value would have decreased significantly after it took a couple dips in the river, slid down the hills with me, and got shot a ridiculous amount. Like I said. My guns see alot of use which is why I tend to shy away from nice wood, bluing, etc.

Eventually I would have been here again a couple of years from now asking the same questions and kicking myself for not buying a GP100 while they were still under a $1,000.