Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is The Lee Perfect Powder Measure Accurate?

In Remembrance

I have several Perfect measures and really like them. I also have two RCBS and a Lyman 55. I don't like the Lyman and haven't used the RCBS ones in years. The Lee doesn't cut grains, has the cut off feature, hopper is easily removed, and mine don't leak even with W231 or H110.

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee and the 55 and don't really like either of them. I use the 55 more often but my procedure for both is to throw the charge a little under and trickle it up on the scale.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    I have several Perfect measures and really like them. I also have two RCBS and a Lyman 55. I don't like the Lyman and haven't used the RCBS ones in years. The Lee doesn't cut grains, has the cut off feature, hopper is easily removed, and mine don't leak even with W231 or H110.
    +1 and I use mine for Black Powder also.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

I really have never had a problem with consistency of throw as long as I am consistent with my technique. I just tap my thumb or forefinger againist the hopper before every throw (I mean every time I pull the handle down - without fail) and the little sucker does a heck of a job.

regards,

I see lots of posts on this board about the Lee measure. Most are about how to fix it, what plastic parts to replace and how to get it to work correctly.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    I see lots of posts on this board about the Lee measure. Most are about how to fix it, what plastic parts to replace and how to get it to work correctly.
    What's your point?

For $15 - $25 I can get a KIT that makes the finest measure available.
    Or I could spend Big $ and get something else that, by the people who use it own admission, does no better but only costs more.

Many LEE products are like Ruger firearms - the only reason it comes assembled is because that is the best way to ensure all the parts are there. YOU still have to finish it.

Boolit Master
    How "accurate" a measure is depends on how closely it's set for the desired weight AND how consistantly the operator's technique is. Nothing is accurate if the user is sloppy.

No single measure is 'best' nor do they all work equally well with all powders. Most are quite consistant with ball powders and other fine grained types but nothing works well with most flake powders because the thin flakes get between the body and drum and cause binding. And none of the iron measures are highly consistant with coarse tubular powders, they can't possibly be.

I've owned or used most every common measure available and like 'em all. Those that look alike, are alike - Hornady, RCBS, Redding. All three work well enough but we need both large and small chambers for best results AND we all like the extra cost micrometer stem heads. Lyman's 55 is unique in that it has three adjustable slides that allow us to match the chamber to any powder and quanity - it's a great measure IF we take the time to learn to use it properly.

Lee's inexpensive measures, disc and Perfect, work great for what they are intended for but the Perfect puts some demands on the user to obtain best results. The plastic body and slightly tapered drum are well cast but no cast mechanical part dimensions are absolutely flawless so some wearing in is necessary and careful adjustment of the drum retaining screws is required. However, it is perhaps the most consistant measure available for coarse powders, at any price.

So, are Lee's measures of either type worth using? Well a lot of knowledgeable reloaders think so. And a lot of progressive press users have one on each turret head set-up they own. But, the people who just can't get passed plastic and low cost of anything or can't get them adjusted properly will disagree. Me, I like 'em pretty well ... but I like my old iron measures too.
    Last edited by 1hole; 09-30-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Just how accurate is the Lee Perfect Powder Measure?
    Judge for yourself ...Grain Weight Statistics Between 4 Different Powder Measures

I reload 22LR with black powder and the Lee drops consistently 4.2 grs more accurately then my other chargers and it is vintage about 2004
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Judge for yourself ...Grain Weight Statistics Between 4 Different Powder Measures

I reload 22LR with black powder and the Lee drops consistently 4.2 grs more accurately then my other chargers and it is vintage about 2004
    Wonder what the results would be using smokeless powder. A test of only one powder only proves what the results are with that powder, and nothing else.

Well Frozone I guess you have a point, if you want a powder measure kit that you put together work on, tweak and so forth so it can be used.

I never saw those things as a kit, I just saw them as a powder measure that gives problems. But it is a matter of perspective I guess.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by metweezer View Post
    Just how accurate is the Lee Perfect Powder Measure? Is it worth purchasing?
    Larry Potterfield tested the Lee measure against the most expensive BENCHREST powder measure they carried and he said the Lee won hands down. I don't think there are many folks willing to call Larry a liar and he sure isn't choosing favorites. If you get one that leaks it's a defective one and should be returned. A properly functioning measure doesn't leak with powders such as blc 2 and aa #5, but it doesn't work well at all in progressive mode with ball powders.

In Remembrance

I agree with 1hole, Nothing is accurate if the user is sloppy.

I started out on the LEE and later aquired an Ohaus Du-o-Measure and I actually like the LEE better when it comes to stick powders. I will admit that I had a long learning curve on "my" being consistant to get good results out of either measure.

Boolit Master
    John: "Judge for yourself ...Grain Weight Statistics Between 4 Different Powder Measures"

JC: " A test of only one powder only proves what the results are with that powder, and nothing else."

I'm sure the author of that test means well but JC is correct, and using only ONE example of each type measure only proves for that measure so statistically the whole test is irrelivant. Then, as Lead1 points out, learning to use an individual measures correctly counts a LOT, easily enough to explain the variations quoted. And 3 of the 4 tested measures haven't been made for decades.
    Last edited by 1hole; 10-01-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by metweezer View Post
    Just how accurate is the Lee Perfect Powder Measure? Is it worth purchasing?
    I agree with some of the others that the plastic adjustment piece is kind of a pain to get where you want it to be. However, as far as throwing charges, I have found the PPM to be repeatable & sufficiently accurate.

Like most powder measures, the Lee PPM works well enough if the operator is consistent in throwing the charge. I also found it was much more consistent and accurate with some powders, and believe it or not, it was MOST consistent with black powder (FFg).

i use to never use mine. i found out you can place it on the flare die and start cranky powder off of that. it saves a bunch of time comparing it to the yellow scooper. it consistent enough
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I haven't seen anything about replacing any parts, only lapping the drums/cones to smooth them out. I don't need another powder measure but if I WERE looking for one, seems to me for 25 bucks and an hour or so of my time to get a measure that will drop powders as accurately as my Uniflows (which cost a heck of a lot more) would be worth investigating. Saving money..isn't that why most of us started this hobby anyway ? As far as a plastic micrometer, at least it has one. I think the ones I purchased for my Uniflows were around 60 bucks each a few years back. Also, "plastic" seems to be just fine on our AR's, Glocks, and a bazillion other things we use everyday, so why the problem with a powder measure made from the same stuff ?? I have and use the Pro disc models on a turret press and have had zero problems with them. That said, I'm certainly not gonna pull my Uniflows off and replace them with a PPM..

Boolit Master

I have a Redding 3BR, a Harrell's, a Lee Perfect and many Dillon powder measures. Set up for a powder and weight and left that way, the Lee throws as well as any of 'em. And it ain't been worked on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    What's your point?

For $15 - $25 I can get a KIT that makes the finest measure available.
    Or I could spend Big $ and get something else that, by the people who use it own admission, does no better but only costs more.

Many LEE products are like Ruger firearms - the only reason it comes assembled is because that is the best way to ensure all the parts are there. YOU still have to finish it.
    EXACTLY! A $400 Ruger ain't a $1300 S&W...until you do a little finish work, then it is better than the S&W will ever be because of superior design. You just have to do the final fit-finish for them.

Same with Lee products. Considering I have to tweak and futz with just about every product I buy to get it to work correctly these days, I buy the cheap stuff that I know will work right with the same tweaking and feel good about saving money.

For me, this is a hobby, not a profession. Sometimes I need to load large quantities of ammo, and for that I have my cheap progressives that work, and my cheap disk measures that also work. Usually I don't need that kind of volume. For professional shooters and reloaders, by all means invest heavily and wisely in your business equipment.

BTW, I have an RCBS Uniflow that only gets used for measuring filler, it's not very useful as a powder metering device.

Gear

Super Moderator

.............Years ago I used to subscribe to "Precision Shooting" magazine. Not too long after the Lee 'Perfect Powder Measure' became available they published an article that had the new Lee and several other outfits' metallic measures, including a Harrel and I forget now the name of the other benchrest 'biggie' The test was very comprehensive using extruded, flake, and ball powders in small, medium and magnum type charges. The result were probably what you'd expect.

That is some measures did better then others with some powder and charge combinations. But when all was said and done they all proved to have the same statistical results from the least expensive to the most expensive. They were all volumetric measures and they were all suseptable to hiccups if operated inconsistently. Those with baffles were faster to settle down after having the powder dumped in and then throwing charges, then those without baffles. Finally those measures with rubber wipers he found more pleasant to operate with extruded powder vs those without the rubber wipers, yet at the end the shearing of powder grains finished up within the pack. He did say that a smaller sample of charges through the wiper, no wiper measures MIGHT show the wiper equiped measures to have a slight edge. However that would depend on how many times you had to shear powder grains.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast