Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My Single shots...........

Boolit Master

My Single shots...........

Just to get the ball rolling, I will go on record as loving single shots and lever guns.

My single shot collection consists of:

4 Ruger #3's - 223, 30-40 Krag, 375 Winchester, and 45-70. All except the 223 wear #1 wood, which makes them #2's or #13's I guess.

H&R Target in 38-55.

Ruger #1 in 375 H&H.

Encore Frame with barrels in 243, 350 Rem Mag, 444 Marlin. Have a 30-40 Krag barrel on order.

3 Contender frames - Pistol barrels in 35 Rem Rimmed and 444 marlin. Carbine barrel in 22 LR.

I think thats it for me.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Cast Boolits Owner

Ruger Single Shots

I have #3's in .44, 30-40, 375 win and 45-70. All are scoped with the exception of the .44 which has a peep on it. I have shot all with j's as well as cast. I will say te 30-40 was almost boring with j's as I got tiny pin hole with the first test load. The others have been a challenge.

I also have started my #1 collection with a 6mm rem. I believe they offered the #3's in the calibers mentioned above and also the 22 hornet, 223's. Am I wrong? Are there more than that? I would like to round out my #3 collection before heading into the #1 collection.

Robert

Forgot one: Martini Cadet in 22 mag.
    Last edited by No_1; 02-03-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Forgot one, CRS kicking in....
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

Ruger #3's

I am always casually watching for the two I am missing. I see some 22 hornets from time to time, I just never pulled the trigger on one. Never even have seen a 44 Magnum.

They were made from the factory in 6 calibers.

22 Hornet
    30-40 Krag
    375 Winchester
    44 Magnum
    45-70

They are really nice guns, I always struggle between shooting and enjoying them, or putting the original wood back on, putting them in their boxes, locking them in the safe, and letting them help with my grandkids college.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 30-30 Contender, and a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott. Casting for the Lott makes it usable in everyday life. Glad to see the new forum for single shots.

Boolit Master

1885 Highwall 40-65
    1875 Sharps 38-55
    Martini Henry 577-450
    Martini Enfield 303 Brit
    Martini Cadet 310
    Martini BSA 22
    Martini BSA 357 Mag
    Martini BSA 7MM Waters under construction.

Used to have a #3 in 45-70 and 22 Hornet but sold both of those. Also had a 7X57MM #1 for awhile.

Bob

Oops, forgot the Sporterized Swede Roller in 8MM plus 50 cal Hopkins and Allen underhammer, 58 cal Hawken under construction, and 40 cal Ohio Squirrel Rifle.
    Last edited by Boz330; 02-04-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Ruger #1b, 270 Win
    Winchester (Miroku) 1885 Low Wall, 22lr.
    Contender frame, soon to be a 30-30 carbine.

54 caplock
    45 flintlock

A 45-70 is high on my 'wanted' list. Been mulling over the various Hi-Wall/Sharps options.

Would have a hard time walking away from one of those Low Walls in 45 Colt/454 Casull if I ran across one in a gun shop.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    I have three single shot rifles. All are Ruger No. 3's. One in .375 Winchester, one in 30-40 Krag, and one is a wildcat 7mm/30-40 Krag Improved.

The only one set up for cast right now is the .375 Winchester. My wife loves it and loves black powder, so I am loading it as a faux 38-55. 250gr plain base case, a couple of fiber discs and a lube wad between them. The rest of the case is Swiss BP. She loves it. Not much recoil, but lots of smoke. The rear sight is a Williams peepsight and the front is a Redfield target "barrel".

I have tried it with two different GC bullets and one jacketed bullet and smokeless powder. Kicks like an SOB. I found out from the wildcat that restocking it with a No. 1 buttstock cuts down on the felt recoil substantially. I intend to restock the .375 when I can find one. Most of the takeoffs I have seen go for half the cost of the gun. I will keep looking.

The wildcat was purchased complete, after the owner/creator died. It was very little used. A 26" Lilja barrel, two sets of dies, and a laminated No.1 type stock (with checkering). I have managed 3-shot groups down to 1" at 200 yards with hunting bullets. It is rarely over 2" at that distance.

The 30-40 Krag originally strung vertically, but I added the shim recommended by Frank De Haas. It stopped. It has a Leupold compact scope on it and will do 1" to 2" at 100 yards easily. I added a recoil pad to the No. 3 stock and it worked well enough. I probably won't have to restock it.

Cast Boolits Owner

Boz,

You got some exoctic stuff by my standards. A very nice collection for sure!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    1885 Highwall 40-65
    1875 Sharps 38-55
    Martini Henry 577-450
    Martini Enfield 303 Brit
    Martini Cadet 310
    Martini BSA 22
    Martini BSA 357 Mag
    Martini BSA 7MM Waters under construction.

Used to have a #3 in 45-70 and 22 Hornet but sold both of those. Also had a 7X57MM #1 for awhile.

Bob
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Harry O,

You are missing something fun not shooting that Krag with cast. The first gun I ever used cast with that is harder to find a load it doesn't like than it is to find one it does.

Cast Boolits Owner

I got the 30-40 with fixed 12x scope at the local shooting range chili cook-off / junk show for 3 c-notes. The rest I picked up on one of the auction sites within 6 weeks of each other for an average of $500 each. All are in like new condition. I would love to have the other 2 for a complete set.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I am always casually watching for the two I am missing. I see some 22 hornets from time to time, I just never pulled the trigger on one. Never even have seen a 44 Magnum.

They were made from the factory in 6 calibers.

22 Hornet
    30-40 Krag
    375 Winchester
    44 Magnum
    45-70

They are really nice guns, I always struggle between shooting and enjoying them, or putting the original wood back on, putting them in their boxes, locking them in the safe, and letting them help with my grandkids college.
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Bub
    Swede Rolling Block, 12.17x44
    Rolling Block sporter, 50-70
    2 Swede RB's M67-89, 8x58R
    Savage 24V, 222 over 20 Gauge
    Building a Rolling Block in 45-70
    German 1880's Hammer Gun, 3 sxs barrels
    20 Gauge Mod x 20 Gauge Imp Cyl
    20 Gauge Cyl x 10.5 x45
    Double 9.3 x 65 Collath

I guess the last one's a single shot even though it's got 6 tubes. Going to sell a couple of the rollers and look hard for a Martini-Henry and a trapdoor.

MM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Harry O,

You are missing something fun not shooting that Krag with cast. The first gun I ever used cast with that is harder to find a load it doesn't like than it is to find one it does.
    I have done some cast bullet shooting with the Krag single-shot and my Krag bolt-rifle. Interestingly, each likes different bullets. The Krag likes the Lee 303B bullet (a large diameter bore rider). The Ruger likes the Lyman 311413. By seating it a little bit forward of normal, I can just kiss the lands with the bullet. I will have to spend some more time on both of them with cast, but there is just not enough time for everything.

2 Contenders with barrels in: .22 Hornet, .223, 6MM TCU, 6.5 MM TCU, .256 Win Mag, (other small and mid-bores) finally ending with .45-70 and .475 Cooper.

Encore with .22-250, .308 Win., and .45-70

NEF .30-30 Handi Rifle

H&R (or H&W?) Target .38-55

NEF .45-70 Handi Rifle

Currently lusting for the new Classic .45 Colt (goto hr site). Not a classic chambering, but sure a classic cartridge. I better stop there with the "lust" portion!
    PPpastordon
    pastordon.wordpress.com
    "And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Cor. 8:2, NKJV

Boolit Buddy

Thanks

All I shoot anymore is a single shot pistol, got 5 encore frames and 14 barrels. Also got 4 tender frames and 9 barrels, single shot shootin is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Hope to start trying to cast my own bullets soon.

Good Shootin

Boolit Buddy
    One 1878 Sharps, smithed by C. C. Johnson in .219 improved Zipper
    One original Rem. Rolling Block in 50-70
    In the process of building a number 5 rollling block into a 45-90 if my bqrrel ever gets here, been on order for over a year and a half

Quote Originally Posted by buffalohunter View Post
    All I shoot anymore is a single shot pistol, got 5 encore frames and 14 barrels. Also got 4 tender frames and 9 barrels, single shot shootin is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Hope to start trying to cast my own bullets soon.

Good Shootin
    Do I understand that all your Encore and Contender barrels are "pistol" length? Just curious since I am a great fan of both of these and have barrels for both in the Contender and only rifle in the Encore.
    PPpastordon
    pastordon.wordpress.com
    "And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Cor. 8:2, NKJV

Boolit Buddy

Makin' me think?!!

I don't have any of that "fancy stuff",
    Martini ex 303, now a 38-50 rem
    roller in 43 Span
    Bisley martini action (22rf)waiting for build (something .35 mild)
    new NA roller action in the white, waiting
    Savage 219 in 25-20
    Savage 112j 22-250 T16 weaver
    scratch built southern mountainrifle, all forged iron, .45 flint
    scratch built .36 target pistol
    enough BP barrels locks and wood for "a few" rifles and shotguns
    assorted shotguns, have to unload the safe, see what's lurking back in the dark corners.
    guess theres a few more than I thought!!!

Hmmm, see iffin I can list them without opening the door. Tender with 4 barrels. 2 Trapdoors,1884s. 2 Rem rollers in 7mm, one a collector, one to be made into something like 38/55 or 40/65. Savage 219 in 22 Hornet. Italian Sharps in 40/65. 2 Handis,243 and 45/70. A 45 and a 50 muzzleloaders. Yup, I like single shots. Jealous of you guys with the Martinis and #3s.

Boolit Mold
    My group:

CPA Stevens 44 1/2 in 32/40 and .22rf, hoping to add a 40-65 barrel next.

Martini Mk II-22rf

1884 Spingfield Trapdoor

Their all great fun from 50' to 200yds

Bill

Poor me. Only two 45/70's.
    Used a Martini .17 Ackley Hornet for years for pelt hunting.

Nardoo

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast