RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signing Barrel

Boolit Bub

Signed Art...ticles

Again, there's a lot more ducks in the pond than one can normally see.
    If you are an artist/artizen of some repute, yes your name is worth something. It may make it worth more, or less, as times and fashion changes. A swamped 28" 32 cal in a full length dark red stock would have been vastly more popular 20 years ago than now. Show up with a 20" 50 cal FrankenHawken in a "sported" plaid plastic stock with a bird cage flash hider and you'll have a few fans- these days.
    Did your work get better or worse as you aged? Some folks even get a little odder as time and experience progresses. Do all those curlicues in your brackets do anything? Or that pastel camo job?
    But, the thing is these signed things will be worth more after you're gone. You made 39? I know you could make #40 if you felt like it. There be very little artists who get rich while they're alive. Once they're gone- their product is now a set finite amount, and "new" can only mean a copy or a set aside. Sometimes a little hype goes a long way, also, for bringing about value. But only after you've gone on.
    Which brings us here: how much for a gun, how old are you and where do you live?

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    I have just got my last rifle made and its No. 39, No more, burned out on making them over 50 years, it has 48 in. mark de hass barrel, 7/8s, 1-56 twist 45 cal. fullstock in a Siler Flint lock, I have 15 of them hanging on the wall and signed my name to them all, My wife looked at it and said no one would want them as I have my name on them. ,Now I dont know if I done right or not, What you think. Thanks- Joe
    In that category of rifle no worries. Sometime in the future a relative will simply look at that inscription and say with pride, "that was Uncle Joe's". Or a collector would say or think, "wonder who owned or built this nice rifle". I don't think it will have a negative effect one way or the other. When I look at old collectible guns and see name inscriptions, if anything, it adds a small amount of mystery and interest and does not detract. If I could do chase engraving I'd at least put my initials on the ones I've built.

BTW, I just finished building a flinter- my winter re-hab project. 36" 13/16 .45 De Haas RB barrel, Siler lock. What a sweet rifle. Pleasing to the eye and a real shooter!.... first De Haas barrel I've had and I'm impressed.

Boolit Master
    My Winchester, Springfield, Glock, Colt and Remington (to name a few) and my Ford all have their maker's marks on them. So do the computer, keyboard and monitor I'm using, as do the individual components inside each.

If you want a gun that never had a maker's mark on it, you want something that never existed except as a custom. Even then, most custom builds have personalized markings of some kind.

Ever heard the complaint; "Well, I would buy that Van Gogh, but the arrogant bastard went and sullied it by putting his name on it!" or "I really like that Browning, but for the fact that it says 'Browning' on it."

No; this issue is just silly. Sorry.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Hi Fellows : Thanks for the good words. Well about 2 months ago I took that last rifle to a gun show and ever one was looking at it , I had a hard time getting down the isles to look . Well a fellow said how much and I said $1000.00 and he counted it out,After that he said, Have you looked at a price on a custom made rifle and I said no, He said that was cheap, I said I signed my name on it and No. 39 and he said he wouldnt want it without a makers mark on it, My wife couldnt believe I came home without it. Well I got 15 more and at 700 hrs. about on each one and I am in chemo now, I dont know what to do now. Wait and hope and pray, as the last 9 I never fired, Sure hope to sight them in now, Thanks for reading, Joe
    Last edited by smokemjoe; 01-27-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master

Did you make them for someone else??? I sign any gun I am proud of and if the buyer doesn't like it he don't have to buy it. Same with my knives.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I can't see that it ever hurt Hershel House or Bivins any! I mark every gun I make that I am proud of. The ones I am not proud of I scrap.
    No need to scrap them, just put somebody elses name on it
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

I have a custom # 3 in 250/3000 made by C Odett of vermont yrs ago because of his name it doubles the value. besides I know of a man who makes underwear and has his name on each pair "HAINS"
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master

I agree the maker should mark them with his name , shows who made it and it was recommended in several books on the subject of making the old styles , so as to keep confusion down as to historical authenticity
    wish you the best with the health issues

Wish you the best Smoking Joe. May you get to shoot your rifles.

I have put my name on 311 muzzleloaders.I'm not going to build one and not sign it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12