RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are the Ruger 77/357's shooting?

How are the Ruger 77/357's shooting?

Well Its been almost two months since I got my Ruger 77/357 and the groups still are getting tighter. 100 yard groups with the 360180 boolit and 10B101 powder are giving me consistent 1"-1.25" groups. I have lapped it with LBT's lapping kit and now have almost 1500 rounds through it. How are the rest of them shooting?

Love Life
    Mine is now shooting very well. I took your advice (and finally slugged my barrel) and started sizing my boolits at .358. Huge difference. I still can't get the 358477 to shoot worth a ****.

Boolit Master
    Mine is still on the experimental side. I haven't found the "load" yet for magnums. I tried 12.8 gr. of 2400 and the 358429 and got 2 to 2.5" groups. I am going to try the GC 180s with a dose of Lil Gun next or maybe crank up the 2400 a grain. The darned thing sure does like .38s, though.

Doc

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodydoc447 View Post
    Mine is still on the experimental side. I haven't found the "load" yet for magnums. I tried 12.8 gr. of 2400 and the 358429 and got 2 to 2.5" groups. I am going to try the GC 180s with a dose of Lil Gun next or maybe crank up the 2400 a grain. The darned thing sure does like .38s, though.

Doc
    I had the same problem. The best I have gotten so far is right at an inch at 100 yards with .357 magnum. I was using the NOE 360-95-SP over a healthy dose of W231. Now My rifle will put lee 358-125-RF over 5.0 grains of unique in mixed HS 38 special brass into 1 inch and under all day long at 100 yards. I need to get back out and do some more experimenting.

Boolit Master

I managed to get my Ruger Scout rifle and EAA MP221 double 45-70 rifles rather quickly. But I have not been able to get the Ruger 77/357 at a local dealer yet. I have about 3 local dealers that sell to me for a very small percentage over cost.... that keeps me from buying online. Hopefully, one will come in shortly. I am looking forward to working up the right loads for this fun gun.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master

I am enjoying mine.

I am still working on the accuracy part, but I have to say I am enjoying the heck out of this little rifle. It is fun to plink with using .38s. I hope to get a load worked up with satisfactory accuracy that I can try it out on a hog or a whitetail this Fall. I hope you get yours soon and enjoy it as much as I am mine.

Doc
    (Just finished loading a box of 180 WFNGC, sized .358 over 14.8 gr of Lil Gun with Wolf Mag primers in Starline brass. I'll try them this weekend and report any success.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Only shot mine at the range once, using 158gr Black Hills SWC's. shot about a foot low@100yds. Rear sight was also cocked over to the left. Not impressed yet, but haven't loaded anything for it yet.

I think it will do better with my boolits.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I haven't seen these in Australia yet.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Love Life
    This rifle is an awesome rabbit slayer. Lee 358-125-rf loaded over 5 gr of unique in mixed HS brass will kill rabbits all day at 100 yards and under. I only use the iron sights as this is my dedicated truck gun. I used a scope for load developement, but after that it was back to the irons. I had to raise the rear sight, but now it is dead on.

I am still working with the 357 and will post more infor once I get the load dialed in. Also my barrel slugged at .357

Boolit Master

Mine likes 180 WFNGC

I shot a few groups today. Mine really liked the 180 gr WFNGC over 14.8 gr of Lil Gun and a SP magnum primer. Of course, I had to shoot a few .38s, too. My cowboy load of 125 gr RF and 3.2 gr of Promo shot low with a little vertical stringing but was otherwise a tidy little group at 50 yards.

Doc

Boolit Buddy
    I'm thinking about getting one of these for my son. Can I get an update form the owners out there?

Boolit Master

It's a dandy rifle.

I really am becoming very fond of this rifle. I am still tinkering with the accuracy load. I am having pretty good luck with 180 WFN GC bullets over a stiff load of Lil Gun and magnum SP primers. So far I have had no trouble with OAL issues with any of the limited number of bullets I have tried. The funny thing is that my plinking load for .38s just cuts cloverleafs at 50 yards. This is a fun rifle for kids because you can load it with those .38s and they can shoot all day long without being worn out by muzzle blast (which I think is worse on the kids than any recoil for most centerfire rifles). If your son is a hunter then this rifle is certainly in the .30-30 class and I will be taking mine after deer and hogs.

HTH,

Doc

Love Life
    It is a very fun rifle. Mine dotes on the lee 358-125-rf in both 38 special and 357 loadings. 358477 is a certified bust for me. Does very well with the NOE 360-95-SP in 357 loadings. I am just now starting to work up with heavier boolits.

Boolit Master
    That is interesting. My rifle didn't like the 358429 SWCs. It loves my cowboy loads (125 gr RFN and 3.2 promo) and my plinking loads (358311 and 3.4 Titegroup). Maybe they just do not like SWCs because the WFN is showing some real promise.

Doc

Banned
    Hello everyone, my 77/357 has three different boolits that I am shooting through it. The best is the 358091 two hole mold. I love this mold and have cast somewhere in the 5000 or better count of ww lead. Mixed brass, win, rem, and cci primers do not matter. Sized to .358 and lubed with Javalina alox. 3.5 grs of Bullseye. One hole groups at 25 yards. 1.5 inch groups at 100. This boolit shoots well in both my gp100 and my 77/357. Now I bought a 358156 lyman and set it back, 20 foot groups at 100. Now the new mold is not much better. Bullets are still under sized. I will be beagleing this mold. For the last boolit that I shoot is a 125 hornady and I just use it to clean out the lead that may be in the gun and have not grouped but I still have the ablity to plink at 100 the same way I do with the 358091. I love this rifle. I have a super six in .22/.22mag and I have well over 10,000 rounds through it and my gp100 has close to 12,000. I have had no problems with eather and that was a factor in geting the 77/357. I am looking forward to spending more quality time with my new rifle.

Love Life
    Enjoy it. I couldn't get SWC to shoot worth a darn. It showed preference to WFN, RN, and SP boolits. Weight didn't seem to be the issue, just nose profile.

Banned
    When i measure my front driving band on my 358156 I see that it is way too small,
    352-.354. I was thinking that I could beagle the mold and see if I could change the down range accuracy of this swc. I was also thinking that a close to the top powder charge of h-110 maybe would stablize the bullet better. I am heart broken because I purchased the 358156 solely for the 77/357 and cannot get it to shoot. The boolit that shoots best for me is being sized down to .358 and when I size the 358156 it just touches the bands a little at two points. That is where the beagleing is comming to thought. No hijack intended, but I think that I am through with Lyman!!! This was going to be my deer hunting round.

Love Life
    I don't know if what I am going to tell you next will make you feel any better. I pushed the Lyman 358477 (which isn't that far off from the 358156) about as hard as you could using 35 caliber PB gas checks. No matter how soft or how fast I pushed any semi wad cutter they just did not shoot. Different nose profile boolits tended to shoot very well in both 357 and 38 special loadings.

Dear Ruger:

Please make this rifle in .357 MAXIMUM and I'll probably buy one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Dear Ruger:

Please make this rifle in .357 MAXIMUM and I'll probably buy one.
    Yup, versatility is the spice of life. I'll probably get one anyway but would prefer it to be a Max.. Or get it reamed.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast