RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: phone/fax/computer lash-up

Boolit Master

phone/fax/computer lash-up

Guy, I have a problem hooking up the above so I can talk, type, and send/receive faxes at the same time. I have an Embarq (now CenturyLink) 660 series modem, a Belkin 'G' series router, an HP Officejet J4580 All-in-one faxer/printer/scanner/copier, and an HP/Compaq Presario desktop computer. It seems that if I connect so I can use the phone/internet, I can't fax; if I connect so I can fax and be on the 'net, I can't use the phone. Filters from Embarq don't seem to help. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

hmmm, are you on the internet on DSL, then splitting off the phone bandwidth to call and fax at the same time?

Boolit Master

Yes, it is DSL; when I pick up the phone with that connection, the fax machine indicates the phone is off the hook, which tells me that the fax is trying to contact the phone, or is interpreting the phone in use to be an open circuit.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

...and you have a filter on every phone/device in the house?

Boolit Master

No, just on the hardline/telephone line/DSL line.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Boolit Master

I am no expert, I did sell telcom for a few years and got to be pretty good friends with one of the techs....I do know that every phone/device in the house needs a filter. The tech was called to a home that the dsl suddenly quit working, and after a bunch of hair pulling, he said the lady suddenly remembered that, "oh yes, we did just put a phone in the bedroom" and no filter.... caused the DSL to fail. Not that this is the issue in your case, I just thought it was a good starting point. I could help you more if it was a WAN issue like ISDN PRI/T1....not that I remember too much, it's been almost 8 years, now that I say that, I probably couldn't. Any Jail questions?

Doug

Boolit Bub

Phone/fax/Internet connectivity

Hi Gunnerd,
    When the light comes on the fax machine, it is not trying to contact the phone, it is telling you the voice cicuit is alreay in use. You can not, with a single voice circuit use the phone and fax at the same time.

Make sure, at the begining of the voice circuit that you have the dsl filter, then from there, go to a splitter and then the phone and fax, or, if the phone is part of the fax machine, just to the line connection of the fax.

The only way to use fax, phone, and Internet all at the same time is to have two voice circuits or, get a "majic jack" type of device". I know a few folks that have purchased them, they say they work well. Hopefully this is clear, if not, ask.

George
    Best regards,
    George

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed".
    J. Neil Schulman

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/schol/2amd_grammar.htm

Boolit Master

I concur with that as well. A standard fax machine is only 4.8-9.6k, and there are devices that would let you talk and fax at the same time, making full use of the phone line bandwidth, but I don't know how you would do that with an all in one machine....if your DSL is dropping, there is something else wrong.

Doug

Boolit Master

Thanks, guys, I may have to call the phone co. and see what they say; after all, it is their equipment.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.