Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 45-110 scene in "QUIGLEY"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Just owning and using one rifle is a big step toward that goal. With only one rifle, there is only one trajectory to learn and remember. Using it all the time at other than formal target ranges only helps reinforce the learning. I walk with my rifle or revolver and shoot at targets of opportunity, 5 gallon pails, paper plates, etc from varying distances and only from field positions. It really helps you learn what the maximum effective range is for YOU. Unfortuantely, not everyone can practice this way.
    I am one of those who use only one rifle and that is a large part of the reason. It also does everything well and is a pleasing rifle to shoot.

I've pulled targets for a friend in the pits when he was shooting with his BPCR .45 2 7/8 Shiloh and I can tell you now....YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR the bullet that got you....because at 1000 yards the bullet hits paper BEFORE the sound is heard!!

All of you can do all the math you want...but in this case you're wrong!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Grand Master

I have no doubt I'd be a better shooter if I only had one rifle. For 15 yrs or so I had one primary rifle and I was very good with it, mainly because it was an exceptionally accurate and forgiving rifle. I've had a lot of fun exploring more than a few rifles since then and I'm glad I've been able to dabble a bit in rifles that interest me and satisfy my curiousity about historic cartridges and rifles.
    Range estimation is indeed an art form, never shoot against an experienced surveyor if distance to the target is not specified! He'll know the distance, trust me.
    I've played in the 1000 yd pits only once but I noticed that some boolits got there before the report, some didn't. It was an experimental match @ the BPCR Nationals in Raton about 15 yrs ago and it seems some boolits dropped below the speed of sound quite early in their travels. Even tho most shooters had never fired @ that distance most adapted quickly and got on target. Very impressive. Many boolits would sail over the target and impact in the berm behind, dropping very fast in most cases.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567