WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 45-110 scene in "QUIGLEY"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newoldman View Post
    What about this. He could have made an estimate of the range on his trip in. They rode over the same trail, from the rise where the bucket was to the compound.

As a guy who has done a lot of shooting with a Sharps at unmarked distances, I don't see this as any big feat. If a person is used to judging ranges, it is not a big deal. If you shoot them enough, the trajectory is pretty much locked in your mind, how the bullet will fly. The sights are just gravy at that point. Any time I shoot a long range rifle, I can visualize the trajectory of the bullet pretty darn close, from firing lots of rounds down range. Something that has really helped, has been being a spotter for many years, and watching the boolit from just ahead of the muzzle, to all the way to the target. That teaches a person more about trajectory at different ranges than all the charts and graphs in the world can ever do.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Was down in Las Vegas this last week covering the SASS convention for one of our site sponsers; the Powder River Cartridge Company. We sponsor [I]Evil Roy [I]and and have a sinature series of cowboy action loads (45 ACP for "Wild Bunch" and .45 Colt and .38 Special currently with a 357 and 44 Magnum load forthcoming). Yes, it's a tough job but someone has to do it

Anyways our booth was next to the NRA booth so I got to talk a lot with Philip Schreier (aka; Puxatuaney Phil) who is the NRA Senior Curator for the National Firearms Museum. He had a display of some famous movie guns there. As the show/conference closed and Phil was packing the guns for shipment he asked if I wanted to hold a couple???????

I got to hold the Mathey Quigley Sharps.....made my day to say the least......... Many thanks to Phil, the NRA and those who donate to the NRA Museum.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh, I also got to hold (probably fondle or carress would be a better description) John Wayne's M92 he used in True Grit

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

PS; I'm not smiling because I had to give them back...........

Nice!
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

In Remembrance
    If I got to actually hold that Sharps, they would only get it back when they pried it from my cold dead ... well you get the picture.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    If I got to actually hold that Sharps, they would only get it back when they pried it from my cold dead ... well you get the picture.
    Believe me....that thought was crossing my mind..........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know for sure but looking at Phil, I honestly think you could beat him to the door Sharps in hand!
    Charter Member #148

Nice pics Larry! It must have been a treat to hold those guns!
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

Boolit Mold
    We sponsor [I]Evil Roy [I]and and have a sinature series of cowboy action loads (45 ACP for "Wild Bunch" and .45 Colt and .38 Special currently with a 357 and 44 Magnum load forthcoming).

Aren't supposed to be any "sponsored" shooters in SASS----correct?

Boolit Grand Master

There are several "sponsored" (that might not be the correct word), just look at the ads in the "Chronicle". Competitors aren't allowed to wear any emblems, etc. while shooting though. Lots of the venders shoot also so if you buy from them then that could be considered "sponsered" by those who purchase products from them. I think not allowing and emblems or trade names on shirts, jackets, etc. of any competitor is about as close as you can draw the line.

The SASS rule under "Prohibited" is; "The displaying of manufacturer’s, sponsor’s or team logos on apparel. Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable."

Evil Roy does not wear any logo, including PRCC's, or including his own for his shooting school.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Oh, I also got to hold (probably fondle or carress would be a better description) John Wayne's M92 he used in True Grit

Larry Gibson
    The" Dukes 92", you lucky dog, was the "Metals 96" one hole Swede there too?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    The" Dukes 92", you lucky dog, was the "Metals 96" one hole Swede there too?
    Unfortuneately no, I would have liked to have seen that one though

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Unfortuneately no, I would have liked to have seen that one though

Larry Gibson
    I think a lot of people would!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    About that off-hand shot--we were practicing up at the Quigley, last June,(this was on Monday before the shoot was canceled) shooting at the buffalo at 800 yds., over cross sticks, with indifferent success, getting 50% hits, maybe. My parter had brought his grandson along,;16 yrs. old, 140 lbs. We had been talking about getting him interested in BPCR shooting and the week previous he surprised us by taking 2nd in the junior division at Baker. We thought a .45-70 was way to much rifle for him and might discourage him if the recoil was to much. Anyway, he was watching us at the Q and told his granddad he didn't see why we were missing so much, he thought he could hit that buffalo off-hand. Grandpa hands him the rifle and the first off-hand shot was a hit. He shot a half dozen more and was making hits off-hand as often as we were over cross-sticks. Young eyes, lots of .22 shooting using gradpa's ammo and just being a naturally good rifle shot must be the answer, and this was done with an old Pedersoli with a light barrel and those horrible pedersoli long range sights. I tend to think he will duplicate the Quigley shot when he gets that age.

I don't know how many of you reading these posts live out in the farm lands when you were Kids and got your first .22 and was able to step out of your door and shoot out in the plowed fields at birds or dirt clots at all ranges from close to the other side of the field 40 or 60 rods distance and just lining the front beat of the target or just holding over and sometimes hitting it but more times it was a very close miss no matter what the distance was.
    My point is if you shoot your rifle no matter what the banana trajectory is you learn how to hold it. And yes hydraulic young eyes ans steady hands help.

Boolit Master
    As a guy who has done a lot of shooting with a Sharps at unmarked distances, I don't see this as any big feat. If a person is used to judging ranges, it is not a big deal. If you shoot them enough, the trajectory is pretty much locked in your mind, how the bullet will fly. The sights are just gravy at that point. Any time I shoot a long range rifle, I can visualize the trajectory of the bullet pretty darn close, from firing lots of rounds down range. Something that has really helped, has been being a spotter for many years, and watching the boolit from just ahead of the muzzle, to all the way to the target. That teaches a person more about trajectory at different ranges than all the charts and graphs in the world can ever do.
    Well said...But it is ALL about knowing the range. Whether accurately estimated, at a know shooting club or with some type of range finding equipment. With the rainbow trajectories were looking at with 45-? cartridges and the like, being off just a few yards is a big miss on a bucket sized target.

When the difference in "hold" between 100 yards and 300 yards is over three feet, hitting anything approaching the size of a bucket at anything over 500 yards without knowing exactly the range is some mighty fine shooting.......or a whole bunch of luck!

Folks tell me all the time that they can hit a "pig" silhouette target at roughly 500 yards on the first shot. I invite them to my range and I've not seen it done yet with a 45-? cartridge. Many time they will do it on the second shot after seeing the impact of the first......And modern rifles can do it first shot most every time.
    The reason being is it isn't exactly 500 yards. It's more like 475.......and this 25 yards is a big difference when you are 'lobbing" a bullet at a target........

My "Shooter" app shows that with a 100yd zero, a 500g boolit @ 1140fps will be down 308" at 475yds and down 358" at 500yds................that's over 4 feet! in 25 yards........

Love this thread..........learned a bunch...........Thanks!
    Last edited by rbertalotto; 12-16-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    That movie is also capable of taking all the money out of your pocket for a long time! ask me how I know!
    Me too. Have 2 now and look'n at a third.

Boolit Master
    The ability to estimate range is one of the skills that has become somewhat rare these days because we most often shoot at standard ranges. I suspect if you shot for several years with no marked ranges at randomly chosen objects you would develop that skill.

The ability to off hand shoot a 38" barreled muzzle loading rifle accurately is another one. I have no idea how they did it, but they did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    The ability to estimate range is one of the skills that has become somewhat rare these days because we most often shoot at standard ranges. I suspect if you shot for several years with no marked ranges at randomly chosen objects you would develop that skill.

The ability to off hand shoot a 38" barreled muzzle loading rifle accurately is another one. I have no idea how they did it, but they did.

Just owning and using one rifle is a big step toward that goal. With only one rifle, there is only one trajectory to learn and remember. Using it all the time at other than formal target ranges only helps reinforce the learning. I walk with my rifle or revolver and shoot at targets of opportunity, 5 gallon pails, paper plates, etc from varying distances and only from field positions. It really helps you learn what the maximum effective range is for YOU. Unfortuantely, not everyone can practice this way.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.