Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Cast bullets and Accurate #7 powder

Boolit Mold

Cast bullets and Accurate #7 powder

I have a fair amount of Accurate #7 and was thinking of trying it in my 6.5 Japanese using 140 & 150 grain GC cast bullets. Anyone ever use this powder for cast bullet shooting?

Thanks

I use #9 as my go-to for the .25-21 Stevens. Gives me excellent S.D. and accuracy in the small case. Some guys in ASSRA use #9 in the .32-40, which is a much larger case. Same reason, it gives good S.D. and accuracy. But #9 is a slower powder.

#7 might do well, but it being faster the charge must be smaller, and the case fill ratio won't be as good. Still, if you've got it, try it and see. It'll be safe for modest velocities, i.e. subsonic to 1400 fps. For GC boolits and higher velocity you'll need something much, much slower, like 3031 or even 4895.
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-21-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

I've burned a few pounds of AA#7 in shooting with a 44 mag. RCBS 240 SWC/GC and 14.5 grains is a decent load.

Tain't rifle powder.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master
    Used it for .38 and .357 mag with 158 gr and 170 SWC Boolits.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Someone here was using #7 in the 7.5x55

See Post #123 and 125 here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=56631&page=7

He said it was somewhat faster than 2400 in the 7.5x55. Who knows what it would be in the caliber you are talking about.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used it and it seems to be about like Blue Dot in rifle cartridges. I use 700X and AA#2 which are way faster. Just have to use less of it and make sure only one charge in the case.

i have used it with cast boolits in my 45acp. it seemed to create more velocity that the data said it should. so i quit using it in those. i have also used it in reduced loads in my 30-30. so i do not see why it would not work for your 6.5. just start low, and work up. and do not get carried away. pistol powder in a rifle can build TONS of pressure if you use to much. way more than enough to send you, and the rifle to the shooting gallery in the sky!
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master

great powder in my 45/70

It has been my most accurate powder in 44 mag. Nice snappy recoil too and not heavy like a full charge of h110.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsurgeon View Post
    great powder in my 45/70
    You are using AA#7 and not RL-7? What do you use as a starter load? I'm working with a 43 Mauser and I was thinking of using AA#7, but I can't seem to find any available data for a large bore rifle with chamber pressure of 20,000 PSI and below.