Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Traditional Muzzleloading fading away?

Boolit Master

Is Traditional Muzzleloading fading away?

Is Traditional Muzzleloading fading away year by year?I wonder as I go into
    gun stores & sports places & try & buy things I use to buy almost any were.

Now yes during muzzle loading deer season many of these shops stock
    up some.But I remember being able to go in & buy a rifle or pistol kit.

When was the last time you saw that?I don't think it will ever die all togther
    as there will all ways be the internet stores.Inlines have taken some of the market
    but thats not what has made the market fall.

What are you guy's thoughts on this?
    Fly

Yeah for the most part traditional muzzle loaders have faded out. In my area for at least 15 years its hard to sell a Hawken, Renegade or any traditional type rifle. I enjoy shooting them still but, most people don't. The average hunter don't get to hunt as much as he wants to and he wants it as easy as he can get it. I don't really blame them. But, for guys that really enjoy the older types I think you'll be able to get most of your supplies for a long time. I personally like the traditional type(even though I own a inline forgive me)because they're just plain old fun to shoot.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned

I think alot of the decline in most stores stock is the internet. The prices you can get on the net are cheaper by far than you can get in the store. I don't like it anymore than you, its just the way it is. Lets face it the days of the men gathering at the local gunshop for coffee and chatter are long gone. I am a firm believer in using mom and pop stores. The problems is there are fewer and fewer every year. The ones that are there carry nothing i need.

Andy

In Remembrance
    Maybe in some regions the traditional muzzleloaders are diminishing, but I don't see it in my area (Wisconsin). We just got back from a local rendezvous and it was the 2nd largest camp in 22 years. I think the reason you don't see as much "stuff" stocked in sports shops is that the things can be purchased on-line. Also, the black powder regulations are keeping most shops from stocking it. You can order that on-line too, and it will be shipped right to your door at a price a lot cheaper than the shops can sell it. My 2 cents worth.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Andy I some what agree, but I think it more than that.The reason I say that is the
    stores that had the kit guns & all the stuff I use to buy from were not Mom & pop shops.
    They where national sporting good stores.

I went into a Bass Pro Shop this summer that had NO #11 precussion cap's.
    Can you be leave that,Geeezzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Man I just don't get it?
    Fly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Maybe in some regions the traditional muzzleloaders are diminishing, but I don't see it in my area (Wisconsin). We just got back from a local rendezvous and it was the 2nd largest camp in 22 years. I think the reason you don't see as much "stuff" stocked in sports shops is that the things can be purchased on-line. Also, the black powder regulations are keeping most shops from stocking it. You can order that on-line too, and it will be shipped right to your door at a price a lot cheaper than the shops can sell it. My 2 cents worth.
    Well the real black powder thing I understand.It's more insurance related than
    anything.The insurance reason is base on fires.Any store that has it has to
    keep in in a fire proof place & even with that they still raise there rates.

My gun shop told me that why he no longer handles it.
    Fly

Boolit Mold
    I think it has in my area and its a shame because the NMLRA headquarters are right down the road!!! I dont know anybody in this area but me who still hunts and shoots the traditional muzzleloaders?

Boolit Master
    I bought a nice NIB old stock TC 50cal Flintlock a couple of years ago on GunBroker. I looked at the same gun in the Wal-Mart catalog they had it cost about $300.00 more than I paid for mine. In the last couple of years most of the Muzzleloaders Wal-Mart USED to have is not stocked anymore. I used to go to 4Flags a lot when I was younger when the owner retired it wasn't the same and they finally closed.

Good luck finding anything local anymore.
    NRA Life Member

When I started out shooting/hunting with muzzleloaders in the late 60's, "traditional" sidehammers was pretty much all there was to choose from; then when inlines started to become commercially available, I have to admit that I went over to the dark side for a few years & rifles (up to a T/C Omega), before I realized than I just plain got more pleasure from using a sidehammer.

Sooo, I sold the inline(s), and now have a few caplocks & a rocklock.

Not so EVERY frontstuffer hunter aged under 45 y.o., that I've run across in the last 8 years or so - who also seem to be rather caught dead than using a guns w/o a scope.

Although it's not completely true, IMO it's the rep of burdensome cleaning of a ML w/o a removeable breech plug that puts an onus on traditionals, AND, sabots are "modern"

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Although it's not completely true, IMO it's the rep of burdensome cleaning of a ML w/o a removeable breech plug that puts an onus on traditionals, AND, sabots are "modern"

Agreed, sad but true. Many shooters/hunters are like any modern human- somewhat lazy with a want it now, want it easy, where's my advantage? attitude, etc., etc.. Many shooters just want to shoot a little (very little) before hunting season, go home, set the gun aside and plop in front of the tube and pop a cold one. Such a bother to spend 15 minutes cleaning a gun after shooting, be it a modern smokeless bolt gun or a BP muzzleloader. Also, it's sad the "word on the street" started this thought that an inline is easier to clean than a traditional sidelock. Mercy! Nothing could be further from the truth, especially if the traditional has a hooked breech. Inlines, to me, are a real pain to clean.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405 View Post
    Agreed, sad but true. Many shooters/hunters are like any modern human- somewhat lazy with a want it now, want it easy, where's my advantage? attitude, etc., etc.. Many shooters just want to shoot a little (very little) before hunting season, go home, set the gun aside and plop in front of the tube and pop a cold one. Such a bother to spend 15 minutes cleaning a gun after shooting, be it a modern smokeless bolt gun or a BP muzzleloader. Also, it's sad the "word on the street" started this thought that an inline is easier to clean than a traditional sidelock. Mercy! Nothing could be further from the truth, especially if the traditional has a hooked breech. Inlines, to me, are a real pain to clean.
    I think you hit it right there. Inlines took all the guess work out of the smoke pole. Never will I own one and I've turned a few away too. There isn't much that is more satisfying when a kid walks down the range and asks, "Mister, what are you doing?"
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Grand Master

CVA quit making them.
    Aim small, miss small!

Moderator Emeritus

I do not understand the mystique of the in-line craze myself. Of course maybe it's because our local muzzleloading season specifies you cannot use optics and your ignition source must be exposed to the weather. In-lines seem to take the "Primitive" out of primitive hunting if you ask me.

I am relatively new to muzzleloading, only started a couple years ago, but I hunt with my .54 Lancaster flintlock and really enjoy it. No phoney substitute powders for this boy either.

I'd have to say that most of the above comments are pretty spot-on. I think it is a combination of internet availability and desire for the latest, greatest new product that has affected the traditional market. To each their own.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

most people using in,lines say they shoot better and have more range i don,t belive eather.if you take a inline and side hammer with the same barrel you,ll be hard pressed to tell much diff.and as far as range goes i don,t think anyone has any bussness shooting a muzzle loader over 150yd.. i mean do you think a rifle with a 24/28 in. barrel will burn 150 grains of powder? and 150yd. is a long way in the field. well just my dimes worth thinks bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    CVA quit making them.
    What a shame it was too.

The fact that my Hunter-19 weighs less than most of my "modern" firearms is the reason why I take it along even during "modern" gun season. The double takes are worth it.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dean D. View Post
    I do not understand the mystique of the in-line craze myself. Of course maybe it's because our local muzzleloading season specifies you cannot use optics and your ignition source must be exposed to the weather. In-lines seem to take the "Primitive" out of primitive hunting if you ask me.

I am relatively new to muzzleloading, only started a couple years ago, but I hunt with my .54 Lancaster flintlock and really enjoy it. No phoney substitute powders for this boy either.

I'd have to say that most of the above comments are pretty spot-on. I think it is a combination of internet availability and desire for the latest, greatest new product that has affected the traditional market. To each their own.
    Dean, I can think of a couple besides the internet. Sat/cable t.v. and the in-line itself. The first thanks to the outdoor/hunting networks, while I wholeheartedly support the programing much too much time is spent on the "latest and greatest" and not enough on the history behind the next best thing. As for the in-line, unlike in your area if it uses BP or it's equal it's considered a Muzzle Loader which I think needs to be standardized. If it ain't loaded at the muzzle it's a "modern" gun, Period. Also, while a no-go in your area around here mine is the only one seen w/o optics on it.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

I was just up at Friendship last week and it is a shame how much attendance is off compared to when I started going back in the mid 70s. The commercial row had a business in every single stall and the selection was unbelievable. I bet that it is only about 40% now. You couldn't hardly get down the alleyways there were so many folks. The primitive area looked like the encampment at Little Bighorn back in the day but it is pitiful now.
    I think that the younger folks now would rather sit in front of a computer and play games than to really get outside and do what many of us enjoy doing. I have to admit that I would rather camp in a camper than a tent anymore but I still enjoy being in the woods with any firearm and especially a traditional front stuffer.
    All of these sort of activities tend to run in cycles and maybe some future generation will be attacked by the living history bug and there will be an upsurge again. Assuming there are enough old timers to pass it on. I think the plethora of cheap kits back in the 70s helped start the resurgence and hooked our generation, along with the ML deer seasons that extended field time.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I was just up at Friendship last week and it is a shame how much attendance is off compared to when I started going back in the mid 70s. The commercial row had a business in every single stall and the selection was unbelievable. I bet that it is only about 40% now. You couldn't hardly get down the alleyways there were so many folks. The primitive area looked like the encampment at Little Bighorn back in the day but it is pitiful now.
    I think that the younger folks now would rather sit in front of a computer and play games than to really get outside and do what many of us enjoy doing. I have to admit that I would rather camp in a camper than a tent anymore but I still enjoy being in the woods with any firearm and especially a traditional front stuffer.
    All of these sort of activities tend to run in cycles and maybe some future generation will be attacked by the living history bug and there will be an upsurge again. Assuming there are enough old timers to pass it on. I think the plethora of cheap kits back in the 70s helped start the resurgence and hooked our generation, along with the ML deer seasons that extended field time.

Bob
    IIRC "Court Days" was this past weekend in Mount Sterling. I remember stall after stall of traditional stuff. I was going at the time for a Mauser to sporterize. As for the younger generation being interested, I had to chase my 3 y/o off a couple of times last night while I was trying to cast some REAL boolits.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

George Orwell

Thomas Payne

I have both a TC Hawken, and a Knight LK93.

When I first hunted from a tree stand with the Hawken, well I got a slight scratch on it, and the day was rainy miserable. Tried my best to protect the powder from water intrusion, but it was no use. Later in the day, powder was wet and would not fire. So I had to use a screw jag to get the ball out. After that, never again would I take the Hawken out for hunting in the field.

That is when I got the Knight in-line. Lighter by a bunch, and easier to handle in the field and tree stand. I also like the double bolt safety on it.

So, when I want nostalgic pleasure, I fire the Hawken at the range with traditional patched balls, and real black powder.

When I want to hunt, I used the Knight, with sabot projectiles, and pyrodex.

I repaired the scratch on the Hawken, and proudly display it over the mantle at the house. Beautiful gun. I do not display the Knight, as it is just pure function.

Just my 0.02. YMMV

The up side to this is that we can buy traditional guns for very reasonable prices.

Most who are interested in traditional shooting, would never attend a formal match.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast