RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 83 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3373747576777879808182838485 LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1682

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Dearslayer, now that you’re beyond the “I need tin!” stage, and are now at the “it’d be nice to have extra tin stockpiled” stage, you’ll be more price sensitive like imashooter2 said.
    I certainly hope so but I know me enough to know how obsessive I can be about these things. Once I get onto something I have a hard time to slow down or stop but given the prices I hope that I can be more selective and show some restraint.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep I knew it. I had an appointment at my ENT this morning after work and they're just happens to be a value village a couple doors down so I thought why not!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220325_103814.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	298152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220325_103829.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	298153

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C25B213D-2464-4791-9581-2B96D934D655.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	298833

If the photos show, I picked these two items up ata flea market yesterday. The tea set is from Bolivia. Never saw that stamp before. Total weight was 7 lbs, 9 ounces. Cost was $43.50. Big pitcher was $12.50. $31.00 for the set. Not too bad for price.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DC4CE9A-F11A-43F0-94AE-8B7C283CA443.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	298834
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Name:	3630B006-418B-40FD-9C61-56C4B7E018F3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	298835

Bolivia hallmark. Schohaus?
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Name:	1DDB9958-2354-4C87-826C-D690E7733C7E.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	299535

Name:	DD8C9028-67AF-433E-99FC-ED5B0C253102.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	299536
    I found these at a thrift, bearing an unfamiliar touch mark from Indonesia. That’s a hammered finish on hollow double walled mugs, each weighing a hefty 24 ounces. I was afraid that they had some sort of filler, but drilling through one showed only pewter with empty space between the walls. Final cost per pound was ~$3.60.

Boolit Grand Master

First I ever saw that double wall design. Interesting. Thanks for adding.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Name:	20220525_163249.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	300593

I just acquired a small stack of these plates from my in-laws. Going back to the first page of this thread there is a post with a link to tankards and such with a list of Hallmark stampings.
    According to that list , Castle Crown LTD. are an aluminum alloy and not worth anything to a caster , is that correct. Thank you

Boolit Grand Master

Correct, but even absent the guide, they look like aluminum alloy.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Mold
    I have read a good amount of this thread and just registered on the site, having referenced it and read quite a few things over the last couple years. I also happened to be out and about with the family for a few days and into a couple antique shops. Found a few pewter items and wanted to post them here for posterity and also to get any responses as to authenticity and composition if known of the pieces. I paid $5 each for the 1.6 lbs ones and $10 for the 2.16lbs one. So about $4 a lb after tax. Here is an album if it works?
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B175qXGF1GXJvAc
    The 2.16 lb one, the round plate Portugal one is marked as 95% tin and also made the “tin cry” whereas the other 2 did not or I couldn’t hear it, but where both very malleable.
    Thanks all

Boolit Grand Master

They are all genuine pewter. The heavy plate is marked 95% tin. The others probably 92-94%.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for looking and thanks for the great feedback! For figuring out what properties to put into the lead alloy excel mix calculator, do folks just use the “pewter” line which assumes 92.5% tin and 6% antimony? For the Portugal piece I have, what do we think the remaining 5% might be? Much thanks, trying to work out a good starting mix for some .45 higher end loads for a Rossi R92

Boolit Grand Master

The remainder would be antimony and possibly a percent or so copper. I don’t use the calculator. I call pewter pure tin in my crayon and napkin calculations and cast. After all, 8% of 2% is only 0.16% of the whole.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, that is very true, and putting it into the calculator as tin vs 92.5 pewter vs 95/5 solder gives pretty much the exact same output, as like you said it’s such a small percentage of the whole. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I usually cast about 15lbs of bullets in one sitting. I convert that to ounces which is 240. If I'm working with 50/50 then I add 1% pewter which is 2.4 ounces. If I'm casting with COWW's than I add 2% or 4.8 ounces. I cast varying sizes of pewter "coins" in the 1-3 ounce range so with a little search I can come up with the amount I need or something really close. It makes life real easy. And the results on target are vary consistent.

Boolit Master
    Here's a candle pad (or something) that I found at Goodwill yesterday. 99 cents. Made in Norway; has some construct with "TIN" in it, and says 93%.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pewter?Hallmark.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Howdy folks. This is my first post on this forum. I have used this site as a learning resource since sometime before I started casting last year. I appreciate all the valuable information I have found here. I stumbled across this post/topic last week and made my way through the WHOLE thing. I stopped Saturday at a flea market with the wife and one of our daughters and found a couple of items. I bought four goblets marked "Leonard Hand Cast Pewter" (Leonard in cursive) for $15. They were $30 but the whole booth was 50% off. Got home and weighed them and the total weight was a bit more than 2 lbs 3 oz. Beats the heck out of current Rotometals pricing!

While leaving I saw a a four piece tea/coffee set of some kind with a couple of different pitchers with lids, what looks like maybe a cream pouring dish, and a double handled bowl, all on a platter. The platter is the only thing NOT marked with some kind of castle looking structure, with "Holland" on the right, and a word on the left that looks like "Metawa" on my grainy picture. It's also marked "Real Pewter" and "94%" under that. They want $80 for it and I thought it was too high, but after seeing Rotometals pricing and realizing the four goblets were a bit over 8 oz each and I paid $7 a pound, I am thinking this is probably a good 7 - 8 pounds minimum so wouldn't be more than $10/pound even if the platter isn't pewter. May go back and try to dicker.

There was also a dish that was several pounds marked "Gorham" and under that "YA 110" that looks like pewter but I am not sure as it doesn't have the words "Pewter" on it. I did see several places in this thread where people found Gorham pewter but if I recall correctly it was marked as such. I suppose from my limited research that there have been makers of pewter who also produced other material types.

I learned in this thread that the Biltmore, Carson Statesmetal, and Wilton Armetale pieces I saw at this fleamarket are NOT pewter - thanks for that!

Anybody familiar with the Gorham markings, or have an opinion on the overpriced tea set? I started casting .314 bullets a couple of weeks ago for a S&W Long and had some difficulties and think I probably need to add tin to my mix of 50/50 pure lead sheet and clip on wheelweight mix.

Thanks for the help.

Boolit Grand Master

I have listed weights on several 4 and 5 piece tea sets in the thread. Look through the pictures and get weight averages. The trays are always a gamble. Without being able to touch it myself, I wouldn’t say what it might be.

Gorham makes both pewter and silver/silver plate. My advice for novice hunters is, if you aren’t sure, walk away. You already have 2 pounds of tin. That’s a lot of boolits. These won’t be the last items you ever see.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you sir for the reply. I'm sure you are right. I'll pass on the Gorham piece.

I stopped and looked at it again today and I think I overestimated the weight of that tea set. I'm guessing five pounds, six at the most. I haggled the price down to $56 - thinking about buying it even though that's high based on what I have seen you and other folks have been paying. But, I am not selling pewter ingots - I just need a good stash for my own use. With Rotometals charging $26 per pound, I think I am ok with paying half that price per pound for pewter. Even if it is only 4 pounds that would cost me over $100 in pure tin prices, so it would be half price.

I stopped at a few places today and several times thought I had found a score, but every time there was no hallmark.

Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

Low cost pewter stashes are built the same way as low cost lead stashes. Years of dedicated scrounging. Now keep in mind this thread is pretty old now. The info is fresh, but the prices are dated. So adjusting the threshold of good deal upwards isn’t a stretch at all.

That said, the 2 pounds you have will sweeten 98 pounds of your 50/50 to make 100 pounds total. Even a dedicated guy isn’t likely to shoot that up in a weekend. You don’t have to jump on anything you see.

And watch our Swapping and Selling section. Pewter comes up fairly regularly. Always for way less than Rotometals wants for virgin metal.

Boolit Mold
    Good advice, thank you. I'm sure I'll be able to find more along the way for cheaper.

Having never added any tin in my limited casting experience, I'm curious to see the difference next time I cast. Going to cast some 200 grain 45 "bullet ingots" with what pewter I do have to add to batches. When I get some experience with it I'll probably start alloying large batches of the desired mix so I can just melt down ingots, flux, and cast rather than having to weigh everything and create my alloys for each pot.

Thanks again.

Page 83 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3373747576777879808182838485 LastLast