Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master

Scored a decent pile this week...

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Mostly the same old stuff, but a few new hallmarks:

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:03 PM.

that is a nice pile ! congrats !
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Bub
    Anybody know if this spoon is pewter ? I got it with some other stuff at the fleece market.

It's got a "Williamsburg Restoration" hallmark and "Max Rieg"

Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm250 View Post
    Anybody know if this spoon is pewter ? I got it with some other stuff at the fleece market.

It's got a "Williamsburg Restoration" hallmark and "Max Rieg"

Mike
    Yes. Modern era pewter.

Boolit Junkie
    I just bought my first pewter last week. I checked out a couple of Goodwills which had nothing and a small consignment shop where I found all this stuff.

The cups and mug were $7.00 and weighed 3 lbs even.

The figurines came in a shoe box for $40.00 and weighed 13.25 lbs. The bird figurine in the back of the photo weighs 2.27 lbs and the tall woman weighs 2.17 lbs.

Some of the figurines have oxidized. Does pewter do this? Or do some of these have a high lead content? Look at the camel to the left and some of the small ones up front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_1459.jpg   102_1460.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by castblast View Post
    Some of the figurines have oxidized. Does pewter do this? Or do some of these have a high lead content? Look at the camel to the left and some of the small ones up front.
    I've never seen pewter oxidized white like that. I would melt one of the cups to establish the proper temperature and then see if one of those oxidized figurines would melt into it before I took a chance on a large melt.

Boolit Master
    What is the typical net weight of a pewter glass-bottom mug?
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    What is the typical net weight of a pewter glass-bottom mug?
    8 - 10 ounces.

Boolit Junkie
    Well, I melted all my pewter! The camel would not melt. I think it is mostly lead. I'll throw it in the pot next time I melt wheel weights. The cups and mug melted at 435 with no apparent slush stage and the figurines melted at 480 with a definite slush stage. Anyone have a good idea of the composition of the different alloys?

In the photo the REAL's and the fish to the right are from the cups and mug. The fish to the left are from the figurines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_1462.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    8 - 10 ounces.
    Thanks
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Quote Originally Posted by castblast View Post
    I just bought my first pewter last week. I checked out a couple of Goodwills which had nothing and a small consignment shop where I found all this stuff.

The cups and mug were $7.00 and weighed 3 lbs even.

The figurines came in a shoe box for $40.00 and weighed 13.25 lbs. The bird figurine in the back of the photo weighs 2.27 lbs and the tall woman weighs 2.17 lbs.

the ricker-bartlett figurines are hi lead content that i know of ( center right two ) there's a thread here somewhere that states the content that he used to use ( i have no clue which thread it's on and own a few of his pieces myself )

food/beverage type pewter will always erm usually be very low to zero lead content ( they found out long ago that lead wasnt healthy to use for foodstuff dishes ) worse there are several variable definitions of pewter , i have a piece by a local artist that is the brightest whitest hardest pewter i have ever had the pleasure of owning ( makes me wonder if it perhaps has a higher antimony content )

my last piece ( 3/4 # ) is a cup that doesnt state pewter but has a hallmark ( it passed the bend and nick test so far ) of a woman/angel with wings in a circle , i'm pretty sure it's german/barvarian from the stag/hunt/target motif , oh asking price ? ( and i didnt even haggle ) $1.00 , when i can get some fotos ( i have a few saved for fotos lolz ) i'll try the multi image like our amigo imashooter did
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]

the angel one wasnt/isnt stamped pewter but according to all the test i have done it is ( woot ) of note i have another one of web pewter somewhere yet it is a lil more stylized ( looks alot like the warner bros. logo in fact ) and this one here is plain text almost like they used a letter stamp set ( altho it's too nice of a job to of been done singly )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails collage.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie

Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    the angel one wasnt/isnt stamped pewter but according to all the test i have done it is ( woot ) of note i have another one of web pewter somewhere yet it is a lil more stylized ( looks alot like the warner bros. logo in fact ) and this one here is plain text almost like they used a letter stamp set ( altho it's too nice of a job to of been done singly )
    That angel mark is Bavarian pewter. I had one just like it on a decorative plate before I started this thread and it was also listed on the defunct Pewter Tankards and Flagons site. That's the 3rd or 4th Web hallmark style we have listed so far. Evidently they changed like the weather.

Thanks for the additions!

the mulholland is the one that gets me ... it's on a old old vase underneath the 1966 stamp is either 1699 or 699 , it didnt show up in the foto's like i had hoped , not sure if it was the year it was replated or the model number , one thing i'm sure of is that it was made looooong before 1966 and that it has been replated , everyone whom seen it thinks it was a funeral urn lolz ( yeah i havent melted it down yet )
    the angel i thought was somewhere close to germany/austria ( yeah barvaria is close ) it has a hunting scene and target shooting motif on it that's clearly european from that area ,glad to share when i can !!
    Je suis Charlie

Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    the angel i thought was somewhere close to germany/austria ( yeah barvaria is close ) it has a hunting scene and target shooting motif on it that's clearly european from that area ,glad to share when i can !!
    Found the Pewter Tankards and Flagons site on The Wayback Machine. Turns out I was mistaken. Your angel mark is slightly different than the one I had and your piece is made by Eduard Scholl Zinn of Gnadental, Germany. Mine was Swiss. Bavaria never entered into the equation.

They also show a Mulholland hallmark exactly like yours and state: Mulholland Bros. Pewter, Aurora, Illinois, 1919 - 1934.

Boolit Grand Master

Here is a link to Pewter Tankards and Flagons on The Wayback Machine. Not sure how long this will stay active, but for now it looks like the whole site is there intact.

http://web.archive.org/web/201106261...dsflagons.com/

I actually started looking for pewter today for the first time after reading a few posts about it and while the Mrs. was looking for items at the second hand stores I looked for pewter . I found about 5-7 lbs of items that had halmarks and pewter written on them that I know is genuine I also saw alot of items that kinda sorta looked like pewter and had halmarks but nothing saying pewter on it the one halmark I saw alot of on the iffy stuff was the letters in capital RWP in a circle the W was bigger than the rest some also had Columbia Pa. written on them some didnt though . Were these also Pewter or cast alum. or ?

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I saw alot of on the iffy stuff was the letters in capital RWP in a circle the W was bigger than the rest some also had Columbia Pa. written on them some didnt though . Were these also Pewter or cast alum. or ?

Tim
    The RWP stuff is not pewter. Wilton Armetale is an aluminum alloy.
    http://reviews.ebay.com/RWP-Wilton-A...00000004569616

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    The RWP stuff is not pewter. Wilton Armetale is an aluminum alloy.
    http://reviews.ebay.com/RWP-Wilton-A...00000004569616
    Thank you Sir, I just informed the Mrs. to dont buy anything with that one on it .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast