Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 34 of 85 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master

A few new hallmarks from recent finds. First up, a couple more classic Jefferson cups. 2.5 x 3 inches, 4.7 and 4.8 ounces. The Josten's mark is a variation of the one in post 639.

A 6 inch plate at 4 ounces.

And last an 8.5 inch "silent butler" crumb catcher at 13.4 ounces.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-13-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

And you guys have created a monster. I now have 23 pounds of pewter ingots.....
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Boolit Bub
    Finally... after running dry for so long I've had a string of luck. Found some S&P shakers that weren't hall-marked, but said pewter, feel/look like pewter etc for $.49 each that crossed the scale at just shy of 8 oz. Following week found a weighted candle holder that is in excellent shape (I'm not going to melt it unless I get desperate) for $1. And the real score was just yesterday, found 2 hallmarked plates ~6" dia that had some sort of "championship" medal soldered on the center. They felt a bit heavier than normal. They were both marked $.99 but had the special "50% off color tag" on them so got them for $1+tax OTD. Got home and weighed them, over 1lb of pewter for $1.07!!!

That makes my recent score to be about 2 lbs of pewter (guessing at the weight of the candlestick holder) for $3.19... man that feels good!

Nice score CountyBoy19!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
    And you guys have created a monster. I now have 23 pounds of pewter ingots.....
    Which will treat 1150-2300 pounds of lead.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    Which will treat 1150-2300 pounds of lead.
    Not if you are making 10:1...
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
    Not if you are making 10:1...
    Oddly enough my last scrap yard "score" was 50# of 10% solder bars. They are low on my list of materials to be used as a tin source for mixing to cast with because they are useful as a known alloy just as they are. Been lean pickings lately, the pewter stuff at one goodwill is too expensive, the other I only snag a couple of pieces a month at. But at a good price. May hit the antique markets but you know how that stuff tends to get priced. Like George Washington personally used every piece in the shop.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    the pewter stuff at one goodwill is too expensive, the other I only snag a couple of pieces a month at
    The prices on mine seem to fluctuate a lot. Sometimes they have the tiniest little piece marked $2 or more (for something that MIGHT weight 2 oz if you put your finger on the corner of the scale) and other times it's marked super cheap. It doesn't make any sense to me...

Of course, the bonus is always when you find a piece marked cheap AND it has that special 50% off "this color" tag on it...

That being said, it's really hit or miss on pewter in this area... when I scored the plates mentioned above I left behind 2 other pieces because they were priced too high... that is the most pewter I've EVER seen in goodwill at the same time (4 pieces total at the same time, 2 of the them priced cheap).

Boolit Master
    When I buy, I had to learn to look at the final cost of all that was bought that day. Some pieces are less and some are more then what I want to pay. The final price is what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    When I buy, I had to learn to look at the final cost of all that was bought that day. Some pieces are less and some are more then what I want to pay. The final price is what counts.
    And just like WW's I don't think it is getting easier to find. I think one sort of has to average the cost across the entire stash. I try to keep any individual days purchase down to as jsizemore says an average of $3 a lb. but was not going to walk away from those candles sticks because it came out to $3.75 a lb. I figure that is 2 lbs. for less than $8 and I don't see it often enough to be that picky. Still cheaper than buying tin at the going rate.

Who knows might work out a bit better than that. One of the candle sticks has a nice glass chimney and I may be able to swap it with dear wife for the heavier mug she appropriated. Or end up short both a candle stick and a mug.

Is "Nambe" from New Mexico pewter? Most of what I saw scouring yesterday was Nambe.
    Thx
    PJ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    Is "Nambe" from New Mexico pewter? Most of what I saw scouring yesterday was Nambe.
    Thx
    PJ
    The Nambe web site talks about their "signature metal alloy." That doesn't sound like pewter to me. Probably aluminum based similar to Wilton Armetale or Pewtarex.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Website states an Al based alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    That is my approach. I have overpaid for some items if you counted them individually. I've 'stolen' other pieces too... Usually it all comes out to a reasonable balance from y perspective.
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    If I'm understanding this, your using pewter in place of tin to harden lead?

Since pewter is => 90% tin, yes.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Tin is more for lowing the surface tension of lead. Better fill out of the mold.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Antimony is added primarily to harden but makes the alloy brittle as the amount of antimony increases. Tin is added to make the alloy malleable with a little hardening as a side effect. Tin also helps with fillout in the mold at lower temps. The combination of the 3 makes the alloy stronger and durable. When the antimony and tin are balanced they act more as 1 element then 2 in the final alloy.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    New member to Cast Boolits. I walked into an antique store, strolled through, found one nice pewter plate for $5, BUT, on the way out of the store, the lady who owns the store asked if I would be interested in "some little lead blocks from an old newspaper"? She said she couldn't sell 'em because most people were wary of the lead! So, after some looking and bargaining, I paid $25 for 34# of foundry lead plus the pewter plate. All in all, not a bad day!! BTW, this thread is what got me started on pewter hunting! As stated before, you guys have created a monster!!! Have a good day and happy hunting!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

On my way to pick up my 2 deer from the processor today I stopped into a recently moved thrift store and I think I did pretty dang good.

Pitcher - 1lb 8oz on the dot ($5.00)

Ray Silver Co.

Creamer Thing - 5.35oz ($1.50)

Woodbury Pewterers