Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master

A 7 inch Woodbury porringer (same hallmark as on page one). A little beat up, but for a buck, it'll melt just fine.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    Thanks for posting those images. The one I saw had an angel that was looking to the right so that the wings were on the left, not symmetrical. Most of those angels don't say pewter, tin or zinn, so chances are this one is pewter too. I don't think it said "zinn", but I'll have to go back and take another look. The price is right, so I think it's worth a try. I'll just smelt it separately and see what it looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The angel hallmark is usually German / Swiss / Austrian pewter. I've seen the angel stamped in logo form, line art and even a "dot matrix" style. Does it say "Zinn" on it anywhere? Zinn is German for tin. Here are a few examples:

I kinda lost track of this thread. My experience with Pewter is limited, so any information and knowledge is very welcome.
    But to the point, I picked up a Flagon. I searched that for a Halmark, and found an Angel Halmark. What I found extremely odd, is it was inside on the bottom.
    Has anybody seen that before, or is this a rarity?
    Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onesonek View Post
    I kinda lost track of this thread. My experience with Pewter is limited, so any information and knowledge is very welcome.
    But to the point, I picked up a Flagon. I searched that for a Halmark, and found an Angel Halmark. What I found extremely odd, is it was inside on the bottom.
    Has anybody seen that before, or is this a rarity?
    The bowls in post 12 are hallmarked on the inside near the rim. You can sort of see them in the lower bowl on the back edge in the picture before the close-up. The porringer in post 13 is also hallmarked on a visible surface (the handle). I wouldn't call it common, but it does occur.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Thanks iamashooter2,,,,wondered as in my searches on halmarks seemed to all be on the outside bottom when pictured
    Dave

I go to the local swap meet every week and walk away with a bag full of pewter for not that much. The other day I saw a tea pot that was pretty good size 1.5lbs or so but he wanted 5.00 for it so I walked off and found 2 mugs that weighed more for 2.00 a piece. I went back to the guy and showed him the price tags on the mugs, he said 3.00 and I took it. Im now at around 28 to 30 lbs of pewter. I dont think I need any more but I just cant pass it up when I find it at a good price.

Doc

Boolit Master

Surprised I haven't seen anything marked Henry Ford Museum. I've melted a few of them down. They were busted up anyhow.... Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

A 7 inch vase. Half a pound.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy

my 1st pewter purchase

Today I ran into my first little bit of pewter that I decided to buy; hopefully it's good. $5 for the 3 pieces. Actually, I like the look of the pair of candle holders... might keep those... oops.

If someone sees this and knows it's not good, real pewter, let me know and I'll take the pic down so I don't lead others astray! -Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3pieces (1024x768) (800x598).jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

That's all good modern pewter. You really can't go wrong buying hallmarked pieces. Thanks for the addition!

Here is a pic of the hallmark on my piece of pewter. The pewter has scratches and some gouges but no dents and is shiny on the inside. The piece of pewter is a small shallow teapot.

I posted this image in another thread here earlier today, but thought that it was worth repeating in this thread.

This was a garage sale find of a, once silver colored, tea service set that was stamped Benedict Pewter on the bottom of the tea pot. The creamer and sugar bowl were marked Noble Pewter, and the bowl looking piece was marked Pilgrim - Solid Pewter along with a couple of hallmarks.

My total investment in the four piece set, all 3-1/2 pounds of it, was $3.

In attempting to research these pieces (to determine if they had any value beyond just their metal content), I ran across this site, Pewter Tankards & Flagons which has a really comprehensive database of genuine pewter manufacturers names, stampings, and hallmarks. The names are all listed alphabetically along with photographs of the stampings and hallmarks and even includes a brief history of the particular manufacturer. The site also lists stampings and hallmarks of similar silver-plated and aluminum items which helps to remove a lot of the mystery about what sort of metal you're actually dealing with.

All three of the different stampings/hallmarks on the four items that I scrounged today were listed on this site. Along with thousands of others.

Benedict Pewter. Benedict Manufacturing Company, East Syracuse, New York. Founded in 1894. Out of business in 1953.

Pilgrim Solid Pewter. Trademark of the Friedman Silver Company, Brooklyn, New York. Founded c.1908. Bought by Gorham in 1960.

Noble Pewter. Noble Studio Metalarts, Chicago, Illinois, c.1929

Might want to bookmark that site for future reference.

All good . . . Doug
    NRA Life Member

But the People, in their weeping, bare the iron hand.
    Beware the People weeping, when they bare the iron hand.
    . . . . "The Martyr", Herman Melville, 1865

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

My stash.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

An 11 x 6 inch candy dish... 10.5 ounces. It is another piece of Web pewter, but the hallmark is a little different.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A 6 inch bud vase, only 3.4 ounces...

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Another vase. 6.5 inches tall and nice heavy walls, 13.7 ounces.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Master

watch the candle holders.. they have weights in bottom

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    watch the candle holders.. they have weights in bottom
    Those pieces are generally marked "weighted." There are some pictures on the first page showing the losses.

Boolit Grand Master

Another mug. 7 inches tall, 12 ounces.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:59 PM.

Boolit Bub
    The link in post 11 is not working. Anybody have any more links that would have hallmarks?

Saguaro

Boolit Bub
    I have a set of 13 fighting men of the American Revolution from Franklin Mint. They say "Fine Pewter" on the bottom & weigh about 3/4 lb each.

Would these be good for making boolits ?

Mike

Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast