Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 85 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master

Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

With all the recent "Is this pewter?" posts, I thought a picture thread might be timely. Feel free to add any that you may have as well.

For the novice pewter hunter, notice the form and thickness of the pieces. The handles are all soldered on, never cast in or riveted. The bodies of the pieces are relatively thin, often with rolled edges to thicken them up for strength. Wilton, Sexton and Pewterex items are not genuine pewter.

The plate:

The creamer / sugar:

The bowl:

Another creamer and sugar:

Just the hallmark from a nice heavy compote I picked up:

Some mugs have a glass bottom. The glass and caulking weighs 2.5 to 3 ounces...

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Be careful when you buy candlesticks, The bases are often weighted. Set your price accordingly:

1 pound 6 ounces before...

9.8 ounces after. The shell on the base is only .020 inch thick.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I really have to ignore this thread.....

10 years ago while in Kuala Lumpur, I bought a bunch of put of pewter, that now sits in my dinning room. I went to a very large factory and thats all they produced was pewter ware.

If I even looked like I was going to melt some of it down, I think my wife would pass the death sentence on me.

Boolit Master
    Here's a weighted candlestick I picked up at a thrift store for $1.50 the other day.

It weighed 12 oz before:

Here's the hallmark:

It weighed 4 oz after:

So, it was 2/3 petrified llama excrement. Ended up paying $6 per pound for the tin.
    Last edited by bumpo628; 09-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

i bought a set of weighted candlestix , havent torn them up yet but on these it's plain to see that the weight is a steel bottom plate ( no foto yet but for 75 cents each i dont figure i got hurt too bad ) what did hurt was i also picked up a lil souvenir type silver washed platter and creamer from the worlds fair in 1936 in tejas corresponding with the tejas centennial ...what hurt was i was told i'm going to hades if i melt something like that down ....leads me to believe i should sell the set outright and let some one else go :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0923111832a.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

Here's some little bear figurines from Avon. About 2.5 ounces each...

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Here's some little bear figurines from Avon. About 2.5 ounces each...

I have those same bears. Thats the only pewter that I wont melt. All the rest of the "keepsakes" are going in the pot. Gonna make some tin soldiers out of them. The bears are going to my daughterinlaws as they give me grandchildren. I would like to buy your set if you would like to sell it, or maybe trade you 2lbs of pewter for it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    Here's a weighted candlestick I picked up at a thrift store for $1.50 the other day...
    I got a couple of those exactly the same, 96¢ ea, I figured it would be sand
    in the base but it was that brown stuff. Smells like hide glue or something.

I'm sure it's SOMETHING...

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    This has likely been asked before,,, but does anybody no what the general composition or alloy is of those typical cast belt buckles. One's I have, have no real value to me, and I touched a torch to one, it seems to melt rather easily.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by onesonek View Post
    This has likely been asked before,,, but does anybody no what the general composition or alloy is of those typical cast belt buckles. One's I have, have no real value to me, and I touched a torch to one, it seems to melt rather easily.
    tough question , some state pewter , these get melted down , but there are so many other alloys and metals that they can use it leaves wild guesses at best if unmarked , look up " spin casting " and the metals used , there's alot of them , worse some alloys marked pewter have high lead content yet are still what is deemed pewter , food service items are usually higher tin content with little to no lead , decorations etc tend to run towards more chances of having lead in the mix ( like my chinese ducks or ricker's pewter knick knacks )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

Found this great web site. Hundreds of 20th century hallmarks...

http://www.pewtertankardsflagons.com/

Site went defunct. Here is a link to Pewter Tankards and Flagons on The Wayback Machine. Not sure how long this will stay active, but for now it looks like the whole site is there intact.

http://web.archive.org/web/201106261...dsflagons.com/
    Last edited by imashooter2; 08-03-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A pair of 12 inch bowls puts another 5 pounds on the pile:

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I came across a large plate at a yard sale the other day stamped "Mexican Pewter". It was a soft metal, but had a shine to it like dried solder. I passed on it due to it's shine and being unfamiliar with the term.

Anybody else found anything marked like this or know what it might have been ?

Banned

look at the websight posted above, it has tons of stampings.

Boolit Grand Master

Bad cell pic..
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    ive got a pitcher and a finger-hut wreath ornament(1.4lbs) for $6.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    I came across a large plate at a yard sale the other day stamped "Mexican Pewter". It was a soft metal, but had a shine to it like dried solder. I passed on it due to it's shine and being unfamiliar with the term.

Anybody else found anything marked like this or know what it might have been ?
    I picked up a ornimental tray at a thrift store, with stickers on it " lead free Mundo de Pewter sin plombo" and a " made in mexico".

It was thick enough that it wouldn't bend easily by hand, but would flatten with a hammer.

I cut a chunk from it and dropped it in my (empty) lee pot,and turned it on 4, just as I had with prior hallmarked pewter.

And I waited........and waited........and waited.........it wasn't melting.

I threw in a sizable chunk of wax, which ignited. OK, now I have fire inside the pot, and electric heat outside the pot

and I waited, ..........and waited........and it's still not melting, just blackened by soot from the wax.

I don't have a casting thermometer to check what the temp must have been, but it was WAY higher that the other pewter i've melted.

I think "Mundo de Pewter" has a different idea than us of what "pewter" should be.

A google search shows Mundo de pewter as a tourist shop in Puerto Vallarta, mexico.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Grand Master

A porringer I just picked up. These are from Holland:

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

An 11 inch bowl. Nice heavy one, 3 pounds 5 ounces!

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Whole set

Glass bottom mug

Creamer & Sugar

Cup

Pitcher

Page 1 of 85 123456789101151 ... LastLast