RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 327273747576777879808182838485 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1682

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Buddy
    This past weekend I scored 4 pounds 12 ounces of hallmarked pewter in a peddlers mall for $10.00. Last weekend I scored 5 pounds 2 ounces in various thrift shops for $19.00.

I got burned a couple of times when first starting to collect pewter. A couple of bucks for a lesson in pewter is one of the cheapest and best lessons I've had. Had zero problem chucking them in the trash.

If you are just beginning your pewter journey, I would recommend reading this thread in it's entireity. It takes a while but the knowlege contained herein is well worth your time.

For the beginner I would suggest only buying pieces touchmarked (hallmarked) and have Pewter plainly stamped on it. Pewter, ZINN, Tin, Etaine, SN, etc. Stay far away from Armetale, Wilton, pewterex, pewterine, etc.

I have found that pewtersmiths are proud of their craft, and they touchmark their pieces. If a piece has no touchmark and does not bend easily, I leave it where I found it. Candlesticks are filled with camel poo and glue, and in my experience, are never worth what you pay for them.

Learn to weigh pewter pieces by sight or touch. I Don't overpay for pewter, and my ground floor price that I will pay is about $6.00 per pound, as I can buy pewter from members on this site for that.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    I am looking for a small pewter candle holder, the round dish style one with a loop handle on the side. About 4" in diameter. I have been making hand dipped bayberry/beeswax candles and they would go nicely in one of these.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I am looking for a small pewter candle holder, the round dish style one with a loop handle on the side. About 4" in diameter. I have been making hand dipped bayberry/beeswax candles and they would go nicely in one of these.
    They are pretty common in resale shops and the Salvation Army stores.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    They are pretty common in resale shops and the Salvation Army stores.
    Yes, i run across them from time to time. I have melted at least one in the past.

Boolit Master

pewter/tin hidden in plain sight (silver plated serving trays)

I have mentioned this in past posts but didn't think to take pics beforehand. Today I scored a couple silver plated platters with over 2.8 pounds of tin/pewter. Often times Goodwill has old crusty silver plated items for cheap which we overlook as a source of tin/pewter. From my experience the soldered on feet and decorative raised edges are almost always tin/pewter. Easy to check by cutting with a sharp pocket knife.

Pictured are two meat platters with feet/legs and decorative edges. The big platter had really thick/heavy decorative edges when melted off, produced 2# 4.2 OZs. The small platter only had 8.55 OZs. Regardless the two platters with tax cost $5.88 and rendered 2# 12.75 OZs of tin/pewter.

The tin/pewter pictured was melted off into a cast iron pot with a propane torch which I remelted and fluxed into ingots. Prior to use when I have enough on hand I will cast into 200gr bullets for use in adding to my alloys.

Unknown to me is if it's mostly pure tin or pewter. Regardless it works for our purposes. The base metal of the trays are either copper or brass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3866.jpg   IMG_3867.jpg   IMG_3868.jpg  
    Last edited by oley55; 03-11-2022 at 11:36 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I just seen a cup at the thrift store that had a hallmark that I assume to be Zinc?? Would that be correct? It was advertised as pewter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220321_100937.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	297930

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

That is 95% tin.

A few foreign terms for pewter are:
    Zinn (German / Austrian)
    Etain (French)
    Peltro (Italian)
    Tenn (Sweden)
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Guess I'll have to return to purchase it. I didn't want to get it till I was sure because I made a few mistakes in the past spending money on things that I thought were pewter only to have it turn out not so. Thanks for the pewter interpretations.

Boolit Buddy
    Well the thrift store was already open on my way home from work this morning so I stopped in to have a 2nd look at the pewter cups they had. I most likely paid too much but seems as I didn't have any...well you know right! Both cups have a " Zinn" hallmark for $9.00 each and the candle holders ( I assume that's what they are) have a "etain" hallmark for $3.00 each. So $24.00 for all 4 PC's at 1.74 lbs total. How much is too much to pay when unsure?!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_093707.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	297988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_091646.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	297989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_093742.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	297990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_094208.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	297991

Boolit Grand Master

You paid less than solder or virgin metal prices. My "I ain’t got none." price is much higher than my "Oooooo… just a little more for the pile." price.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    You paid less than solder or virgin metal prices. My "I ain’t got none." price is much higher than my "Oooooo… just a little more for the pile." price.
    That's kind of where I was at. I had no problem walking away from it yesterday cuz I wasn't sure if it was real and if the price was worth it. I guess it generally always comes down to want or need.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    Well the thrift store was already open on my way home from work this morning so I stopped in to have a 2nd look at the pewter cups they had. I most likely paid too much but seems as I didn't have any...well you know right! Both cups have a " Zinn" hallmark for $9.00 each and the candle holders ( I assume that's what they are) have a "etain" hallmark for $3.00 each. So $24.00 for all 4 PC's at 1.74 lbs total. How much is too much to pay when unsure?!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_093707.jpg 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	297988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_091646.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	297989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_093742.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	297990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_094208.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	297991

You may want to hold off on melting down the goblets. I have one that looks like the same maker that sells on the internet for $90.00. I won't be melting that one down unless I'm desperate for tin. Check and see if you can find the same on the 'net. You may be surprised.

Boolit Grand Master

Sells, or offers for sale? If they actually sell for that, don’t wait, sell it today before people gather their senses.

Otherwise, eBay is full of stuff people think is worth money but doesn’t sell.

Boolit Buddy
    I just checked and the small goblet is selling for between $9.00 - $40.00 USD but like mentioned...that's the asking not necessarily the selling price. Couldn't find the exact same large one on there but a similar one that they are asking $56AU.. I'll hold onto them till I check more thoroughly but I don't think they are really worth what folks are asking.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve got 2 full Selangor coffee and tea sets in the basement. Each has a coffee pot, a tea pot, covered creamer and covered sugar on 14 inch trays.

Those sets sold from Selangor for over $1,500 each, but I’m not sitting on $3,000. I bought each of them for less than $4 a pound because nobody actually wants pewter coffee and tea sets anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    Stopped at a local flea market this afternoon and just about every booth had at least 1 item of pewter. Nobody there to negotiate prices so the deal is you pay what the tag says. I probably spent way more than I should have for sure, but at the very least I have about close to 13lbs of pewter in total since 2 days ago. I spent $30 this morning on marketplace for 8 of the items and another $76 this afternoon for the rest. . I'm so weak for this hobby but I should be ok for a while now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220324_181048.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	298131

Boolit Grand Master

Well, you have enough tin to sweeten a lot of alloy. Now you can start looking at price from a different viewpoint.

Boolit Buddy
    There was one cup that I was very skeptical about because I thought it was aluminum and as it turns out my skepticism was correct it certainly isn't pewter. You're absolutely right now I can be a little more picky from a price point of view.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I’ve got 2 full Selangor coffee and tea sets in the basement. Each has a coffee pot, a tea pot, covered creamer and covered sugar on 14 inch trays.

Those sets sold from Selangor for over $1,500 each, but I’m not sitting on $3,000. I bought each of them for less than $4 a pound because nobody actually wants pewter coffee and tea sets anymore.
    i saw a Selangor service at an estate auction house last week that matches your description very closely. I dropped out of the bidding at what I figured was a total cost of $4/# (~$70). It went for $120.

Boolit Master
    Dearslayer, now that you’re beyond the “I need tin!” stage, and are now at the “it’d be nice to have extra tin stockpiled” stage, you’ll be more price sensitive like imashooter2 said.

Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 327273747576777879808182838485 LastLast