RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Did this stuff start to melt at 450F or there abouts?
    Nope. It started to melt at over 600. So if it was in a pot with the good stuff, I might have been able to pull it out. But my luck, it might have alloyed at lower temperature with the Sn in some good alloy and given me a big pot of trash.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    You figure it was some kind of white metal?

Boolit Grand Master

I really don't have it figured other than "not pewter." The plates seemed a little lighter than similar plates I've had that were the real deal. Not as light as aluminum though, and Al is easy to tell from pewter. I would never have bought it. Zinc shouldn't have melted at 700 and would have been way harder to bend and break up. So all I have is looks like pewter, feels like pewter, but not pewter. The disturbing part is it was hallmarked. Kind of rocks the foundations of my universe...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    White metal is one of them catch-all, could be anyting that's left. I picked some up one time that was very soft and silver plated. I dropped it in the pot on some known pewter and it didn't melt even when the temp hit 500F. I set it to the side and played with it later. I had to tear it apart and had a some what coarse texture compared to pewter/tin. I didn't try to melt it check liquid temp. I talked to a metal scrapper who happened to have a piece at the flea market. He throws it in the junk pile as white metal/unknown type. He deformed with one hand and used his thumbs to get it back in shape.

Boolit Mold
    Anyone know anything about the metal composition of Irvinware?I picked this small platter, creamer, & sugar cup at a garage sale this weekend. I asked the lady if she knew what kind of metal it was, she said “all I know is its not silver, an older lady stopped in this morning and said it was tin.” I figgered for a dollar, I could not pass it up. Here are the pics withthe stamp. My guess is chrome plated????? Its thin and lightweight.

Thanks for your help!

Brannon
    Last edited by bspitt; 07-28-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure, but it does not look like pewter to me. Sorry.

Boolit Bub
    The last bastion of liberal thought in Texas
    A while back I was at a flea market and a guy had a bunch of stuff on his $1 table I got a set of salt/pepper shakers and a creamer, clearly pewter. The item I'm curious about though is a 9-11" plate, from "International Silver Company" named "Caught". No hallmarks I can find but it does mark relatively easy with a knife.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140803_080005.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	112420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140803_080018.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	112421

Banned

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...t-9319383.html

$5
    Melt something you are certain is pewter. As soon as it liquifies then dip the edge of the plate in the melt. You will know then.

btw- not my idea, it has been said here before haha

Boolit Master
    When you stick the item in the melted pewter it will probably go solid if the temp is right at the melting point. When the previously melted pewter goes liquid again pull the item out and see if it's melted. Simple.

If your not sure about it's composition, Don't Buy It!!!

Boolit Bub
    The last bastion of liberal thought in Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    When you stick the item in the melted pewter it will probably go solid if the temp is right at the melting point. When the previously melted pewter goes liquid again pull the item out and see if it's melted. Simple.

If your not sure about it's composition, Don't Buy It!!!
    I like the melting trick, ncbearman - will do. As far as "don't buy it", normally I would agree - but it weighs about 2 lbs (probably more) and it was $1
    - no way to pass that up!

Boolit Grand Master

Of course it doesn't meet the form factors typical of pewter plates, but the International Silver Company (INSICO) is well known for their pewter products and it does in fact have the word pewter cast in... I would have bought it for a buck. My money is on it being the real deal.

A typical INSICO hallmarK:
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-13-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    I missed the PEWTER in big letters on the back. Old eyes and slow brain. I'd have bought it too. Usually it's marked International Pewter or International Silver. That's the first piece I've seen with both. Early in my scrounging adventures I found International Silver that was plated to pewter. That was a while ago though. A flea maket dealer in my area has some Independance Day Commemorative plates similar to that pictured above but wants $12-15 each for 10 plates. I'll have to take a closer look next time I see them. Not to buy, but to learn.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ravyynr1 View Post
    Ok question for you guys. What do you use for a tin ingot mould? Something that will throw small ingots from 2 to 4 ounces?
    Not sure if others have suggested this, but I use a 1oz egg sinker mold from my fishing stuff! That way I can precisely add however many ounces I need to my lead!

Boolit Buddy
    Will pewter pieces found at second hand stores have a felt bottom? So many times I think something is pewter but can't find a hallmark as the bottom is felt lined. Also, what a decent price per pound to try to shoot for when scavenging? I just bought 3 pieces at Savers totaling $19.54. Not sure of the weight yet as I'm not home, headed to the range actually!! I'll take some pictures of what I found and weigh them up, before and after smelting.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by bspitt View Post
    Anyone know anything about the metal composition of Irvinware?I picked this small platter, creamer, & sugar cup at a garage sale this weekend. I asked the lady if she knew what kind of metal it was, she said “all I know is its not silver, an older lady stopped in this morning and said it was tin.” I figgered for a dollar, I could not pass it up. Here are the pics withthe stamp. My guess is chrome plated????? Its thin and lightweight.

Thanks for your help!

Brannon
    Plated thin brass

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jayhkr View Post
    Will pewter pieces found at second hand stores have a felt bottom? So many times I think something is pewter but can't find a hallmark as the bottom is felt lined. Also, what a decent price per pound to try to shoot for when scavenging? I just bought 3 pieces at Savers totaling $19.54. Not sure of the weight yet as I'm not home, headed to the range actually!! I'll take some pictures of what I found and weigh them up, before and after smelting.
    It might, but typically does not. The stuff with felt on the bottom is usually pot metal from India or China. My very best advice to new scroungers is if it doesn't very clearly say pewter in the hallmark, pass on it. After you see and handle a bunch of the real deal, you can make informed decisions on unmarked stuff.

What it is worth depends on how much you need it, how much you already have and your prospects for finding more. A lot of guys are jumping in selling ingots on the Swappin and Sellin forum for between $9 and $11 delivered in 5 pound lots.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Imashooter! Just got home from what I thought was going to be the range, but those plans fell though. Got some pictures though of what I found.

First one is a bowl/plater. While the hallmark was worn a bit, I could tell by the dent in the side, no rivets for the handles and how easy it was to bend by hand that this was pewter....(I hope):

This weighed in at 1# 6oz

The next one is an interesting candle holder! Wall mounted, non-weighted style! It stated "web pewter" on the back, no hallmark.

This weighed in at 12.5 oz

Lastly is a watering can. Again no hallmark, but the original price sticker stated it was made in Indonesia and was made of pewter, also had a sticker on it not to suitable for food or human consumption. It was the most expensive of the 3, but also weighed the most at 1# 4oz. I have this horible feeling it's just the spout and handle that are pewter and not the can itself.

So all 3 of these for $19.54 which would put me at $5.79/pound IF that can holds up to be pewter, if not probably more like $9/pound. But it's something at least. Just starting my collection, might try to hit a swap and shop some saturday around here (Kansas City) so we'll see.

Boolit Buddy
    Well the watering can ended up being a complete bust. Guess I'll stick with hallmarks, instead of what barcode stickers state. All together I got 1/4oz short of 2 pounds, melted down into my little 1oz egg sinkers for easy adding later on.

Boolit Grand Master

A few more months and you'll see that watering can isn't pewter from across the room. Thanks for the additions!

Web pewter...ah umm heh heh heh hee hee

Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast