Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Those 6 tankards have got to be pewter. Pewter, aluminum and ones that look like the Pewtarex stuff are what is out there for tankards.
    - The aluminum ones will also have a glass bottom, but will be very light, with a riveted on handle and usually say "made in Hong Kong" on the base.
    - The ones that look like Pewtarex (not pewter) are very thick with a pitted look to the metal and dont have a glass bottom, plus you can see the lines where sections where molded and fused together.
    - I have seen one lead tankard and that was very heavy.
    - There are some pewter tankards that arent marked but they have the same characteristics as the ones that are marked.
    Last edited by konsole; 03-10-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't posted for a little bit. I've been saving the new hallmarks aside and finally got a chance to take pictures.

The take: A 15.5 x 11.5 inch tray at 2 pounds 2.9 ounces. A 3.5 inch "Virginia" cup at 6 ounces. An unusual 5 inch glass bottom mug 1 pound 1.4 ounces with the glass. A 3.5 inch creamer at 6.3 ounces. Last, a 2.5 inch miniature mug at 2.7 ounces.

The mug had a construction that I've never seen before. There was no retaining ring for the glass. Instead there was a "shelf" molded onto the interior and then the base was formed around and back down onto the glass to seal it. All one piece except for the handle.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-13-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I picked up a couple of wide & short candle sticks, almost appeared turned rather than cast. Made in Holland stamped into bottom. Gives every indication of being pewter at 1 lb. 2 oz each and a good price I decided they were going home with me even without a hallmark that I could see.

Also I picked up a small aluminum ingot mold on ebay with a raised "P" in each compartment for $15. Casts 10 oz. lead so I figure a little over 4 oz. pewter ingots. Be a nice way to turn that pile of pewter stuff into nice compact ingots with a "P" embedded in each ingot. Somewhat like a knock off of the Potter mold a member uses that regularly sells pewter in swapping and selling forum. But those cast iron potter molds run $40 for the one I saw so...
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I picked up a couple of wide & short candle sticks, almost appeared turned rather than cast. Made in Holland stamped into bottom. Gives every indication of being pewter at 1 lb. 2 oz each and a good price I decided they were going home with me even without a hallmark that I could see.

Also I picked up a small aluminum ingot mold on ebay with a raised "P" in each compartment for $15. Casts 10 oz. lead so I figure a little over 4 oz. pewter ingots. Be a nice way to turn that pile of pewter stuff into nice compact ingots with a "P" embedded in each ingot. Somewhat like a knock off of the Potter mold a member uses that regularly sells pewter in swapping and selling forum. But those cast iron potter molds run $40 for the one I saw so...
    I have one of each of those. The potter and the aluminum. For 10% tin/pewter in the mix its nice to have some 2 ounce ingots to drop into the 20# pot I have. So I jut fill the mould halfway. But they are also easy to put in a vice and bust in half. I got lucky and found my Potter mould in a yard sale..................$3

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    I have one of each of those. The potter and the aluminum. For 10% tin/pewter in the mix its nice to have some 2 ounce ingots to drop into the 20# pot I have. So I jut fill the mould halfway. But they are also easy to put in a vice and bust in half. I got lucky and found my Potter mould in a yard sale..................$3
    That's a smokin' deal! I'd have injured myself getting my wallet out...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    That's a smokin' deal! I'd have injured myself getting my wallet out...
    they thought it was "an ashtray or something"

Boolit Master

Here's a couple that are new to me. I will try to post a picture but in case it doesn't go, a 9 inch plate weighing about a pound and a half with a coat of arms-Paderborn by ges gesech. Found at the Restore store. After searching, I guess they are not that uncommon but this is the first time I had seen one. Also a cocktail mixer, you know, "Shaken not stirred", about 1 3/4 lbs. Found this at either Goodwill or Volunteers of America.Attachment 134378
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned

Those will make pretty puddles of pewter! Good find.

Boolit Master

Probably not. Most of the stuff I see from India is pot metal.
    A lot of the stuff marked India is also brass, soft and bends almost like pewter but if touched with a sharp blade, it is harder and has a yellow glint in the cut.
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Man
    Good score yesterday! From from the father in laws rummaging and the goodwill.
    First, from father in law...
    I'm detaching this lion, he's a keeper for my favorite pieces collection!

Boolit Man
    Now for the goodwill. Sold as an eight piece set, so I had to scrounge around to find all the pieces marked "set of 8"..... The set was $8.99! Funny thing is most were mismatched and different hallmarks! Totals weight seemed on the light side, about 5 lbs.

[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/22/b52e974b2c301398b77d0d8f2d243a93.jpg

Boolit Man
    Forgot to add this from the father in law. No hallmark other then just marked "pewter", but it's the first napkin ring I've personally seen.

Boolit Master

5# for $9 is less than $2/lb. That deal I would make all day long.

Yesterday and today I stopped off at 14 different Salvation Armies, Goodwills, and some junk/antique shops.
    I didn't find a thing, I did pick up about 60 Lbs. of WW, 1 1/2 pounds were zinc, the rest a mix of CO and SO lead.
    So it wasn't a total loss.
    I've got about 10 Lbs. of pewter to mix with .

Nice haul. I gotta admit -- I'd have to keep the lion too...

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Banned

Yeah that lion is sweet! Nice haul. I'm due for one sooner or later. It's been a while.

Boolit Grand Master

Bah! Into the pot it goes.

But if'n you gotta save it, hold the handle and lower the mug body into the melt until just before the joint. The heat will transfer and melt the solder before the handle and it will detach. Probably the cleanest way to do it. Watch the joint and you will see when the solder goes wet.

Boolit Man
    Bah! Into the pot it goes.

But if'n you gotta save it, hold the handle and lower the mug body into the melt until just before the joint. The heat will transfer and melt the solder before the handle and it will detach. Probably the cleanest way to do it. Watch the joint and you will see when the solder goes wet.
    Thanks. The lion has already been safely detached, in a somewhat similar fashion. I careful used a small torch on the inside to melt the inside area around his feet to free him, but as it got close, the solder gave way in the same manner.

He now resides with a flat rabbit and a donkey candle snuffer. And that little German souvenir cup I posted previously.

Meh. That Lion would have went swimming in the Silver Stew if it were me!
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Boolit Man
    My soon to be four boy reassembled the set and made a "trophy"....it's a major award!

Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast