RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel for smelting pot

Boolit Master

Stainless Steel for smelting pot

Anyone use a SS Pot for smelting, reason for asking is I was at Tractor Supply and seen some SS pots that looked like they would be great for smelting, the one was about 10qt. in size
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Master
    I use a heavy 14" diameter stainless mixing bowl. I flattened the bottom to fit on top of my burner grate with a piece of fireplace log and a sledge hammer. Crude and REALLY noisy, but it worked pretty good with just a few wrinkles. I can fit better than half a 5 gallon bucket of wheelweights in at a time. Best part was that it only cost me 50 cents at a yard sale. It has held up well for years, so as long as yours is fairly heavy guage it should work just fine.

SS pot

Quote Originally Posted by IcerUSA View Post
    Anyone use a SS Pot for smelting, reason for asking is I was at Tractor Supply and seen some SS pots that looked like they would be great for smelting, the one was about 10qt. in size

I use one and I think I have the same size at your 10qt, Before you purchase one, do a magnetic test. If the magnet sticks to the pot, it could be a stainless steel plated and in time, the coating will wear off. If it is non magnetic, chances are it is stainless steel 100percent.
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Boolit Grand Master

I've smelted a pound or two in a 2.5 quart SS pot on a Coleman stove. It works fine.

Remember 10 quarts of lead is almost 240 pounds. Be sure your smelter is up to holding the weight.

I have been using a big SS tea pot its roughly 8" dia. works good! and I just pour my alloy straight from that into my ingot moulds.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I can get about a half a 5 gal. pail in my CI Dutch Oven, just that the SS one I looked at seemed to be a little bigger . How well is the heat transfer compared to CI verses SS ?
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Largecaliberman

There are differing alloys of stainless. Some are very magnetic. Try a magnet on you stainless cutlery, I think you'll find that a magnet will stick to it.

R.M.

Boolit Grand Master

I can get about a half a 5 gal. pail in my CI Dutch Oven, just that the SS one I looked at seemed to be a little bigger . How well is the heat transfer compared to CI verses SS ?
    Cast iron will be much better from a heat transfer standpoint. If you have a large cast iron dutch oven already in service, the 10 quart SS pot would be a step down.

I used a ss stock pot for most of 10 years before the bottom cracked .. it dripped lead onto the burner and clogged it up but didnt fail ,, it held a full five gallon bucket at a time with room to spare . I probably overloaded it because even the handle rivets started to leak ... cast is better by far......Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

44woody

stanless steel pot

I have been using the same stanless steel pot for about 30 years now can't tell you how many tons of ww have went threw that pot but I would say alot I have never had a problem with it I have seen the bottom red hot alot of times but it has not given me any trouble at all not like the aul pot I did 30 years ago not knowing any better then that came apart on me I thank my lucky stars I was not around it when it did let go or I could of been hurt but I can tell you that was one heck of a mess to clean up

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnerr View Post
    I used a ss stock pot for most of 10 years before the bottom cracked .. it dripped lead onto the burner and clogged it up but didnt fail ,, it held a full five gallon bucket at a time with room to spare . I probably overloaded it because even the handle rivets started to leak ... cast is better by far......Dean
    I had a cast iron pot that did the same. Made quite the mess of my Coleman stove.

Boolit Bub
    If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can pick up a cast iron one for a reasonable price. This is the one I have, looks like I'll have to reinforce that wire handle, though.

Boolit Mold
    Hello gang, I am brand new to the board and relatively new to casting lead. I don't know if this will get me shunned here but I don't do bullets...I cast fishing weights... hey all the stuff we do up to putting it in a specific mold is pretty much the same!

Anyhow I just bought a propane kit which included 2 well used CI pots. I got one on the flame and a couple hours into my casting session, I noticed it was leaking. Did I bring it up to heat too quickly? Does this just happen over time with use? Any feed back would be great.

As well, I noticed a pretty awesome home made conversion from this site to make a pot into a bottom pour spout...I am thinking of modifying my cracked pot...if the alteration doesn't close up the crack enough, could I get someone to weld over the crack to plug it?

Thanks

Gooey (short for gooeybob - a notorious steelhead bate)

Cast Boolits Owner

Gooey, I guess you are right. What we do is exactly the same but completely different. You could modify your pot as mentioned or just buy the harbour freight one for about $15. Weld repairing what you have will probobly cost more than the new one and might leak later anyway OR you could purchase a bottom pour pot like what we use which would really increase your production. The propane kit will still have a use for you when you render / process / flux your raw lead to make more user friendly for later use.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Gooey View Post
    Hello gang, I am brand new to the board and relatively new to casting lead. I don't know if this will get me shunned here but I don't do bullets...I cast fishing weights... hey all the stuff we do up to putting it in a specific mold is pretty much the same!

Anyhow I just bought a propane kit which included 2 well used CI pots. I got one on the flame and a couple hours into my casting session, I noticed it was leaking. Did I bring it up to heat too quickly? Does this just happen over time with use? Any feed back would be great.

As well, I noticed a pretty awesome home made conversion from this site to make a pot into a bottom pour spout...I am thinking of modifying my cracked pot...if the alteration doesn't close up the crack enough, could I get someone to weld over the crack to plug it?

Thanks

Gooey (short for gooeybob - a notorious steelhead bate)
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Grand Master

Weigh the price of a new cast iron pot against the price of standing in a large puddle of molten metal. That should point you in the proper direction regards modification of a pot you already know is flawed.

Boolit Mold
    I have been looking around local (vancouver, bc, canada) and I haven't seen any reasonably priced CI pots. I also have an old stainless steel pot that has a much better capacity maybe 80-100lbs opposed to the 40lb pots I have now. Pouring 10 and 12 lb cannon balls, I think I need something quite a bit bigger than a 40lb pot if I am going to do any sort of volume. as well, any input on leaving a pot full of lead to cool (it started raining in the middle of my last casting session)...is that a no-no?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Letting lead cool in the pot never bothered me.

Banned
    Works great for me.

Jeremy

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Gents, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

In Remembrance
    Smelting in the rain...
    Is that like quench-hardening before pouring a cannon ball?
    What will they think of next...?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast