Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Bummer....

Bummer....

I got a wild hair and decided I need a 12ga black powder shotgun. I looked for awhile and located a TC system 1 with a rifled barrel and a 12ga barrel. The gun arrived last week only to find the gun does not come close to fitting me. I need to mash my cheek into the stock hard to get my eye low enough. The stock is plenty short but that can be fixed.
    A couple of years ago I liked the TC 22lr semi auto rifle... until I picked one up. The grip is meant for much smaller hands than mine, the same on the system 1.
    I need to shoot it to confirm but this has me bummed out in a big way.

Man I am disappointed
    I am one gun away from happy

Banned

TC never did fit guns to people. I sold my old Hawken because it was so long and out of shape I could never shoulder it with hunting clothes on or have the sights come in line with my eye.

44man---There was recent discussion about whether inlines met the intended primitive criteria etc to qualify for a special season. Now you point out that your Hawken didn't fit with hunting clothes on. Maybe they wanted it to be primitive and you are to hunt nude? Cant you see Bullshop up there in -50 with his Hawken out stalking moose? That might qualify for a special season.

Boolit Master
    Well all of the above conditions I suspect can be be remedied. As to having to mash your face down on the stock to see the sights.. I think a longer pull helps with getting it comfortable from what little experience I have with these guns. But then if you can't reach it with yer hunting duds, you aint gonna if you lengthen the pull with a plug or a slip on so I'm not sure how to overcome that part. I'd also try wrapping leather or something around the stock a little to see if that helps a little by pushing your face away from the stock. As for the wrist... heck if the gun was shooting the way I liked it to, I'd just wrap whatever I'd have to to make it comfy... this aint "best of show" ya know... More like "how I have to make it go"

Aloha...

Banned

If I remember my TC had a 14-1/2" or 14-1/4" pull with the brass buttplate that would take too much work to re-fit. I had to move my cheek up and sideways to find the sights. I shoot 14" with a "T" shirt but with hunting clothes I need 13-1/2" There was just too much wrong with the stock to mess with considering the price of the gun. I used the money to buy the parts to make a real Hawken in .54 and it fits me perfect. The wood was free from a plank of curly maple I had. I will never look back.
    TC has some big weird monster that designs stock fit. For other guns they use a shrunken up 120 year old.

Boolit Master On Heavens Range. 1940-2008 Slamfire's Avatar
    Ah yes, the old Hawken stock trick. Easily solved by gittin' a Renegade.

Boolit Bub
    Hi guys I have a T/C hawkens and I realy like the way it comes up, in factI was shooting with it just yesterday -25 C and didnt have a problem just my 2 cents Regards Dave T.

You have the same problem with the Springfield vs the Enfield rifled muskets. I shot a enfield for a few years Very little drop in that stock.Once I changed to a springfield with that extra inch of drop I dont think I could go back. A lot of guys say that straight stock bites their cheek.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

In Remembrance
    Any of you guys old enough to remember Curly Gostomski of North Star Trade Gun? Ol' Curly had his personal Trade gun hollowed out on the comb and side of stock so he could get "down" enough to shoot. Took a lot of game with it, too. Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I sure remember Curly. He was a member of our association, and I spent many evenings sharing a fire with him. Definitely one of a kind. His adventures are legend! I owned his prototype #1 Chief's Grade tradegun for many years, and it is now owned by another association member.