MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Herters scale

Herters scale

I traded for a Herters #5 Ballistic scale today. It was really dirty but cleaned up well. Filled the oil reservoir with 10/40 (don't know what is the correct viscisity to use is) and started to zero. IT IS SENSITIVE!! Had a fan on, on the floor, and it kept the scale from balancing on the bench. Got it levelled up and zeroed. Weighed a 9mm case on my Lyman D5 then weighed on Herters. They read the same except the Herters goes down to 1/20th of a grain. It will register one kernel of IMR 4350.

If anyone has any experience, information, or owners manual for this scale, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,
    Rich

Boolit Master
    Now, that is an old scale. Are those four leveling screws? If so, way cool.

I have an old Texan, oil-dampened, three poise, 500-grain scale that is identical to some old Redding's, that I've seen. I've compared its accuracy against a magnetically-dampened RCBS 5-0-5 -- at quadruple the price -- and found no variences. And, yes, it is sensitive.

I fill the reservoir about 2/3 full with honing oil. I don't know its viscosity, but didn't want to use motor oil, thinking that it might not be too sensitive enough.

Boolit Master
    Nice looking scale you have there

A Herters oil dampening scale was my first one, I purchased it new out of their catalog in the early 60s. Mine has no model number on the casting and my base is smaller. They did come with instructions and I'm sure I have them someplace. Good scale and I use it a lot. I also have an RCBS 10-10 but use the Herters more. I think they were made by Redding and maybe someone made them for both Redding and Herters.

I should have taken a better picture of the rear of the scale. Yes, there are (4) levelling screws. In between the (2) on the right of the photo, there is a bubble to level the base laterally. Once that is level, you then proceed to use the front screws up or down to get beam to zero. If you can't get it to, raise or lower the right legs (keeping level) to balance the beam. I can't get over how sensitive this scale is.

Rich

Iowa Fox,

I have been in touch with Ed down in KC and most of Herters stuff was made by Redding as near as we can tell. The powder coat finishes are exactly the same. PM me when you get a chance, please.

Rich

Banned
    The Model 5 is nice, it is my favotite scale. I have the instructions so send me an email. herters@netins.net

Yours is a somewhat less commonly seen post 1961 model. The two balance nuts were eliminated from the beam after 1961. Earlier scales had two nuts on the beam to adjust zero. Set them and lock them. The wire can break or get damages. You will have to find an orthodontist who will give you some dental wire. It is the only wire fine enough and strong enough to work.

Ken

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    The Model 5 is nice, it is my favotite scale. I have the instructions so send me an email. herters@netins.net

Yours is a somewhat less commonly seen post 1961 model. The two balance nuts were eliminated from the beam after 1961. Earlier scales had two nuts on the beam to adjust zero. Set them and lock them. The wire can break or get damages. You will have to find an orthodontist who will give you some dental wire. It is the only wire fine enough and strong enough to work.

Ken
    Ken, I have one of those measures, but mine was missing the wire. For what its worth, If you've ever done any bass fishing you've probably heard of "Spider Wire". Its a very strong fishing line with very little stretch and high strength. Anyway, I used the Spider Wire in place of the dental wire. It does the trick.
    Jon

Boolit Master
    Hi RMMC,
    Nice scale never seen one before! Looked it up in my 1970 Handloader's Digest here's what it says:

This scale has a torsion wire balance at the fulcrum of the beam replacing the usual knife edge.Four leveling screws are included,as well as a cross level 1/10 gr. accuracy.
    The frame is rubber mounted and a patented stabilizer at the pointer end gives correct readings with a finger touch. 325 gr. capacity; built in oil damper;chromed brass beam carries sharp divisions and colored numerals.

I have the old Redding and you can see the relation to yours! Oh yea,the price for the Herter's #5 scale in 1970 was $11.79 !!!
    Last edited by seagiant; 02-08-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Mold

Manual

I just happen to get 1 of those froam a friend last night. It has the manual with it. It uses 10 weight oil. Shoot me an E-mail and I will scan and send the manual (1 pg) to you.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post

Ken
    I'm glad to hear so many folks still using Herter's as I just inherited grandpa's tools and supplies. Two presses, a scale, oodles of dies and miscellaneous other supplies. Glad to have found this group of folks with so much knowledge. Will most certainly be asking lots of questions from you folks with all the experience.

Pressman, I sent you an e-mail regarding my new "tools."

Thanks,
    Jeff

I used to love getting the Herter's catalog. I still have a bunch of Herter's red plastic shotgun shell boxes.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have two early Reddings with the brown crinkle finish that are chronologically somewhere around the Herters shown and they have given good reliable service for a very long time. I never used the oil reservoir feature on either, but some folks would like it as it does cut down the beam swing time. I still check them regularly with a set of weights just for safety reasons, but they have never wandered at all. I keep them in padded wooden boxes when stored. LLS

Boolit Buddy

How much is that herters model 5 worth these days?

Boolit Bub
    I bought a LOT of Herter's stuff back in the day. Still HAVE a lot of Herter's stuff and it still works fine too. Love the Herter's books too, very funny! Too bad George went nuts and no one stepped in and took over from him. There was no Jacques P. Herter (or whatever it was), that was just George's way of adding character, or referring to his son which he never mentioned in print as he didn't want to get the child harassed by the stupid.

Boolit Buddy

that's a blast from the past, that was my first scale, recall filling the oil reservoir, replacing the wire, leveling screws and all....accurate & dependable...sat beside my #3 press. Scale & press are long gone, still have some Herters dies and one of George's amusing catalogs...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion489 View Post
    I bought a LOT of Herter's stuff back in the day. Still HAVE a lot of Herter's stuff and it still works fine too. Love the Herter's books too, very funny! Too bad George went nuts and no one stepped in and took over from him. There was no Jacques P. Herter (or whatever it was), that was just George's way of adding character, or referring to his son which he never mentioned in print as he didn't want to get the child harassed by the stupid.
    George had two sons, Jacque lives in Colorado today, out of the spotlight. He works in the field of Psychology, a long way from Dad's sporting goods business. Probably just as well that the company sold and folded when it did. Times and the market was changing and the grand old days of the Herter's catalog were finished by 1980 anyway. But the company and its experience eventually led to the rise of Cabala's.
    Ken

Boolit Buddy

In George's words from his 1972 catalog...
    "This is the finest powder scale made in the world today without a doubt"
    $15.67

Boolit Master
    GONRA remembers the "good olde days".
    Back then, always assumed (not knowing the facts) that Herter just COPIED everybody elses stuff.
    Manufactured by the Low Bidder in Wisconson/Minnesota???