Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 338 Mag bullet Quandry

Boolit Master

Question 338 Mag bullet Quandry

My 338 Mag will shoot the Lee 220 RNGC into a tiny little cluster at about 1800 fps.
    It will scatter both of the other 338 bullets I cast into sorta reasonable groups, but they are flat nosed (not a big flat point, but a meplat none the less).

Do I go with the Round nose and accuracy or the small flat point?

I have considered chucking the Lee RN in the lathe and adding a flat point.

Hey, one other detail, I hunt the woods 100 yards is a LONG shot!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis
    My 338 Mag will shoot the Lee 220 RNGC into a tiny little cluster at about 1800 fps.
    It will scatter both of the other 338 bullets I cast into sorta reasonable groups, but they are flat nosed (not a big flat point, but a meplat none the less).

Do I go with the Round nose and accuracy or the small flat point?

I have considered chucking the Lee RN in the lathe and adding a flat point.

Hey, one other detail, I hunt the woods 100 yards is a LONG shot!

TC,

Tough quandry? Your last statement answered your own question eh?

Since you have some equipment, you could devise a way to drill out the nose of that round nose for the very few bullets you will actually need. Don't go too big (.125) or too deep (@.125). That's all you need. Just use ACWW and fill that hole with melted candle wax. Act's just like a wide flat. Go deeper and you obviously expand more.

Your call.

TC,

You might consider using a lead/tin alloy soft point.

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to the board, Vic!

My sole 338 Mag experience was not good at all--this with a Howa 1500 and the RCBS 200 FN. The boolit did VERY well in a 1886 x 33 WCF that once graced my gun safe, and I rue the day I sold that rifle. Sending the mold to Buckshot exorcised the final demon remaining from that ill-advised disposition. Try as I might, I could not get the 338 to do anything reasonable with the castings.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Al,

Sorry about the slow reply. I've been over to Forsyth, MT to the Quigley match and had a blast.

I never have tried the .338 Mag, but have felt for some time that the .338 cast bulley may be the optimum hunting bullet. I have also come to believe that the .30-40 Krag case may be the optimum case for single shot hunting rifles, so, I made a .33 Krag on a Ruger #1. The reamer was made to my specs, however, I never could get the Lyman or the Lee to shoot well. I finally resorted to making a mold to my specs and it has worked out really well. When I first used it for hunting I was using 2 alloy soft points. They worked very well but wasted too much meat, so I went back to using solids. I shoot mine at 2400 fps. TC is trying them at 1800 so the soft points might work well for him.