WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Tech Tool

Boolit Grand Master
    Amen Charlie,

Maybe that is why I like helping a kid, ......I guess I'm just a kid myself. ( A 62 yr. old kid )

Ben

I am just a 68 year old kid..young at heart!!
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Master
    A bloke at the range was watching me breach seat some paper patch shootzen style in me 30-30.
    For a load trials and patch testing.

When he saws this simple powder measure he reckons it was the ducks nuts.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thought it was pretty well rural

Iv'e been looking for a small blackpowder one with the funnel on the end which would make life easier.

Note I still weight the carge if I'm up in the max pressure areas thou.

Barra

41 mag fan,

You're lucky that you find an eager boy to mentor on!

My cousins sometimes worked for me, helping me in my reloading room and I've been trying to influence them about bullet casting and reloading, but it seems they only want the money!

Sometimes some army friends visit me and I always brings them to my reloading room and try to influence them to reload their own ammo, but I can't see any eagerness on them! They always reasons out that reloading requires a detailed attention and they're worried they might cause an accident or mishaps, etc, etc, etc!

I just wish my only son will like my hobby, though his toys are all guns, he's 4yrs this December, and I wish he's 8 now so that I can took him hunting my favorite spots!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    41 mag fan :

I figure that God just put another jewel in your crown.
    That is what it is all about ! !

Ben
    Maybe not another jewel, but maybe God got out his big book and looked down my page and said .....well for that act that will cancel out this page of sins!! Only a few thousand pages to go and I can start out with a clean slate again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    41Magfan, you don't tell us where you are, but from your sentence construction I would guess either Germany or of German language origin? Welcome and congratulations introducing another to the addiction!
    Wayne,
    Well you're close but way off at the same time. Born and raised in Illinois and live in S. Indiana now,
    but.......as I tell everyone who'd inquire, I'm a cornfed, bible thumping 1/2 German, 1/2 Irish, who likes his beer with a temper!!

Quote Originally Posted by taminsong View Post
    41 mag fan,

You're lucky that you find an eager boy to mentor on!

My cousins sometimes worked for me, helping me in my reloading room and I've been trying to influence them about bullet casting and reloading, but it seems they only want the money!

Sometimes some army friends visit me and I always brings them to my reloading room and try to influence them to reload their own ammo, but I can't see any eagerness on them! They always reasons out that reloading requires a detailed attention and they're worried they might cause an accident or mishaps, etc, etc, etc!

I just wish my only son will like my hobby, though his toys are all guns, he's 4yrs this December, and I wish he's 8 now so that I can took him hunting my favorite spots!

My boy is 19 now. He's into the same as me, but he's got the girls girls girls on his mind right now. Occasionally he takes a few minutes and shows up in the shop to spend a few minutes with me.
    But, as of today ,he'll be starting on my shift in the coal mines (he dont realize I'll be his boss underground now!!), he's got the making damn good money idea, it's AR buying time bug.
    But he keeps saying he's going to buy me a new Dillon also.

My kids was raised around everything I hold dear in the shooting, hunting and fishing areas. I still say thats why neither of my kids do drugs, drink or smoke, and have never been in trouble with the law.
    People around here, hear me say it all the time....expose a child to the outdoors and that child will be less likely to do drugs or get into trouble with the law when they go from teenager into adulthood.

Now I've got James started, he's 16 and hopefully my addiction will continue thru him long after I'm gone. By how he was out here Sunday, I'd say he's on a good road.

Yeah, I agree with that!

When you say "hopefully my addiction will continue thru him long after I'm gone" actually I've been thinking about that for a couple of nights now! It also comes to mind to post a thread about this idea.

Lets say that we saved a lot, sometimes go broke just to have the equipment (bullet casting, reloading, etc) we want. But what will happen after we're gone? I've read a lot of garage, estate sales, now, I don't want to happen that. Question is, how can we prevent that?

Maybe somebody can make a poll?

Mods, if I'm out of topic, its ok to delete my post.

Boolit Grand Master
    taminsong

What is it that you want this poll to do ?

I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out what you're saying here ?

Lets just say this is the situation:
    1. you love guns, hunting, reloading, bullet casting, outdoors, etc.
    2. you got children or no children
    3. and God says you will be dead in a couple of years.

Now, what will you do so that all the equipment that you loved won't end up in garage or estate sales?

Boolit Grand Master
    taminsong

We all need a will, we also need to leave clear instructions to our loved ones as to WHO to trust and who NOT to trust when it comes to the sale of our guns, reloading, etc.( It is amazing the " vultures " that can circle a home at a death , waiting to rob a widow who may not be knowledgeable about the sale of firearms and firearm values. It is possible that she won't have access to a loyal and faithful friend who can offer sound guidance.) All of this needs to be addressed IN ADVANCE of your death !

I have an electronic copy of all firearms and firearm related items with photos and prices in 3 locations that my closest friends know about. ( it is easy to put this information on a CD )

If you've got a friend, relative, or family member that you want to get a specific firearm, that would go into these instructions.
    Last edited by Ben; 09-03-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    At this spring's gathering(next is Oct) I put on a reloading hands on demo. The kids loved it and loaded lots of ammo. We took it and them to the range the next day and they loved shooting thier rounds. They just could not believe they were shooting things they had made. Some kept a casing as a momento of their first reloading. Hoping many from here will come--welcome mat is out, light is on, and a warm welcome awaiting. 7-8-9 Oct. at 4-H Camp Millstone near Rockingham, NC.

Ben,

I agree, and I forgot about the will.

I've seen it happens a lot of times, first to a friend who was ambushed, sudden death and his guns were taken by his relatives and later on when the wife were looking for it, nobody will say they got it. Second, a heart attack, died suddenly and 2 beautiful 30M1 carbine, sold by his son who doesn't gave any s***t about the history of the gun, for a very low price! Buyer is so lucky!

Boolit Master
    As I approach my end, (don't get excited, I don't plan to go for another 3 or 4 decades), I hope to learn from those of my acquaintances who have gone before me. First is written instructions to those who will handle my affairs as to how I want things distributed. Next is to give to those I want, the things I want them to have, while I am still alive. This to me makes the most sense as then, I get to help them learn (if they need it) or watch them enjoy what they have received. While it is comforting to be surrounded by all the "stuff" one has accumulated, there is also a good feeling of having the items handed off to others who will cherish them.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master
    StrawHat

Sound advice you've offered , & very well spoken ! !

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Great posts guys. I'm going to do my best to pass down what I've learned to my 9 week old.

Boolit Master

When my father died a few years ago he had quite a large collection of handguns and rifles. It had been understood for a long time that a friend of ours (both my father's, and mine) would buy the majority of the collection, other than the few that I wanted. It really is amazing how the vultures come out! One of my father's 'friends' owns a gun shop here in FL, and when we asked him how much he would charge to handle the transfer of the handguns, he said "35.00 per gun" which is $10.00 more per gun than the going rate! I can only assume he was upset that he didn't get a chance to buy any of the collection, as we found another gun dealer that didn't even know us to transfer the guns for $25.00 for the first gun, $5.00 each for any additional guns, and there was about 85 or so handguns in the collection. Another 'friend' had always wanted a particular gun my father had (a Manlicher-Shoenaor, I know I spelled it wrong, sorry) and amazingly after the funeral, and having folks back to the house afterward, that one rifle was nowhere to be found! It was locked in a cabinet in a locked room, however my father was never too secretive about where the keys were with his friends!

What my daughter does with my guns and reloading equipment after I die is of no concern to me. I don't buy equipment based on what value it will have after I die, but rather what value it will have to me while I'm able to use it. She's interested in shooting to a degree, and shoots my reloads out of her 44 Special revolver, so there's a chance yet that I might interest her in getting involved with reloading, so she might end up keeping my stuff, or she'll sell it, either way she'll enjoy it.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Buddy
    yes show a kid how to reload thay will have to fight gun control.in the coming years

Boolit Master

Going rate for transfer in my area is $15.00 however, some do charge $20-25.00

Larry

Boolit Master

Ben.

Thanks for that. Just reading your post made me feel like a teenager.

That exact Webster scale was in my first purchase, along with an old C&H C type press.

The press was so old and so used that the ram wobbled and the linkage pin was worn out and replaced by a stove bolt. Since the bolt was not hardened, the hardened linkage parts chewed it up so bad it had to be replaced about every 1000 rounds.

I made dozens of powder dippers. I didn't have the tools to solder a handle so I used a solid heavy gauge copper wire and wrapped it around the extractor groove in the empty shell casing. Twisted in the other end of the wire into a small circle for a finger hold.

My mentor made me test weights for each powder charge I was "allowed" to charge. These were made from small copper plates he cut to rough size then filed to exact weight and stamped with the weight eg. 3.5gr.

For the .38 special, for example, I had a scoop for 3.5 grains Bullseye and a 3.5 gr test weight. I was to set the scale to 3.5 grains then pop in the test weight. If it zeroed the scale. I would then scoop powder, scrape it off even with the top of the scoop and pour it into the pan and trickle it if necessary to zero the charge. He made me do this for over a year before he would let me have a powder measure. I had the money saved up to pay for a Lyman 55 six months before he would let me buy it.

To this day, I still weigh each and every powder charge for rifle loads. ( not for pistol however )
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Ben that is so awesome that you are giving back!

I started in college with the ol Lee Hammer and punch Dies.

Now I have 2 - 1050's, a 550, a Spolar Gold, a PW 800, a Mec, 3 Stars, 2 single stages and more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    ...While it is comforting to be surrounded by all the "stuff" one has accumulated, there is also a good feeling of having the items handed off to others who will cherish them...
    From one who has recently been on the receiving end of some of the accumulated "stuff", I only hope I can do right by my father with the tools he has given me.

While we were visiting my folks this summer my dad said I could have any of his reloading gear that I might find useful (money's tight, I figured I'd start with a Lee Loader). So we pretty much stripped his entire bench.

Now I'm in the process of reviving all of it as it's been nearly 15 years since he's reloaded. It feels so good. Earlier this week it was the Herters press. Now I'm knee deep into getting the Herter's powder measure back into shape.

That being said, I've been collecting random brass at the range just in case I can't get it to throw consistently and I need to make some scoops. I simply don't have the cash for new gear.