Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Walther P22

Walther P22

recently took one in on a trade, complete with case and acessories, 5 inch barrel.

pros and cons?

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

I bought a pink one for my wife......

Pros:
    • Reliable
    • Fun Plinker
    • barrel set-up for a can
    • easy takedown
    • lightweight

Cons:
    • Small grip size
    • sight adjustment (elevation) is achieved by changing the front sight post
      different posts are included
    • odd controlls (magazine release in particular)
    • accuracy is mediocre for hunting/target

None of the above would stop me from buying it again. If you're looking for a fun gun to play around at the range, it's a good choice.

Boolit Master
    I have to agree with Chickenstripe as to the pros and cons. I had one for awhile and sold it for the con reasons mostly the accuracy was poorer than I wanted in a gun that I planned to use for woods walking and small game shooting. I ended up buying a Sig Mosquito and it was a jam a matic until I sent it back to the factory. Now it shoots reliably but is only slightly more accurate than the Walther was. I still have it but bought a Taurus 94 revolver and that is what I now use for woods walking and shooting small game. Much more accurate and only 1 shot less than the auto loaders.

Boolit Bub
    I have one I bought new. It took several hundred rounds to break in before it was reasonably reliable. I carry it on the farm. Unfortunately, I have had to put down three cows with it over a two year period. It worked well for that.
    I also carried it rabbit hunting to take close up bunnies that I didn't want to use the shotgun on.
    A second slightly used P22 has been reliable since I bought it. Both have the shorter barrel.
    Enjoy.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Have one down here with me. Very accurate with Rem. ammo. The cheap stuff just does not work in mine. Ammo choices are very limited here. I have the long barrel model with the removable false compensator / barrel weight so it is possible to easily hang other items on the stub. I have small hands and I find the grip inserts make for a nice grip. So for the $230 I spent 5 years ago it has proved to be a fun investment seeing as I can sell it today for over $400 used.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

thanks everyone, will try it next week, don't have much in it so it will not be a big loss if I don't care for it. I'm not much of a pistolero anyhow.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Master
    I had a P22 for several years. Before I bought it I read posts about how bad they jammed, but other posts that swore that the problems were worked out. I took a chance and never regretted it. It was very reliable, and loved the cheap Golden Bullets. I found it to be accurate enough, although my old eyes couldn't see the sights as well as I liked.

After putting about 20000+ rounds through it (!) the slide cracked - they shipped it both ways and replaced the slide free. T

Then I bought a Walther laser. What fun! Just hold the gun out from my side and squeeze ten shots off nice and slow and cut the center out of the target at 10 yards, over and over. Wore two lasers out, and they replaced both.

It was a fun gun.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    the slides are cast zink, so are fairly fragile, and the "finish" is just paint, which hoppes 9 will strip right off if it is on there too long.