Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Where Do You Buy A Hot Plate Without The OSHA Safety Cr*p?

Boolit Buddy

Where Do You Buy A Hot Plate Without The OSHA Safety Cr*p?

I am getting ready to try out a new 6 cavity mold and need a electric hot plate to pre-warm the mold. All the hot plates on the Internet I find now have a safety device that turns them on and off at 190F! Is this warm enough to pre-heat properly? I sure am glad our government is helping to keep us from scalding ourselves with boiling water since we have dumbed down since childhood.

Moderator Emeritus

Thrift store.
    I bought one for $1
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have a very old Sunbeam electric skillet. It goes to 420 deg. I cut the side of the skillet down just enough to slide a mold through. I know it's not a quick resolution to your problem but see if you can hit estate auctions and yard sales. The old stuff is there.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Banned

Wall Mart, about $8.
    Use it until it quits, then remove the bottom. You will find a thermal fuse under some tubing that blows from too much heat. Remove or bridge it by soldering a wire across it. Mine has worked for years since. It will hold my little mold oven a perfect 500*.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a cheep one at Walgreens. I put an old circular saw blade on the coils and usually set my mold over the diamond shaped hole in the center. As a side note I was casting the other day and started smelling something funny but was "in the zone" so it took a minute for it to register with me. I look over and my ingot that I was pre heating has melted and run down. The smell was burning plastic. Yes it gets hot enough.

I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

Visit my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigRix?feature=mhee

Boolit Master
    The meter inside the unit will cycle but it gets much hotter then 190F. I can get my molds up to about 275F using my Walmart hot plate. Just get one and you can mod it later if you need to.

In Remembrance
    Find an electric deep fat fryer. The thermostat is one that plugs into the side of the pot, and the temperature range usually goes up to 500 degrees.

Cut off the upper 'side' of the pot, leaving just the flat bottom, and a small raised edge if you like.

Won't melt pure lead, but it might melt various alloys, like solder. It definately gets hot enough for preheating moulds.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Banned

Wire around the overheat switch, and BE CAREFUL. Once you do that, it can Chernobyl on you if you leave it unattended. Don't burn your house down.

Gear

In Remembrance

A few months back I bought a single burner unit at Aco hardware. The unit has a knob with low, med., and high settings for $10.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I spent a little more and got one at WalMart that has a continous heat control. A little over half way is plenty hot enough.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have the same one Big Rix does, bought a Walgreens, 9.95!

Works great and has no OSHA on it that I know about but I did buy it a year or more ago.

Boolit Master

I took someone's idea and found one on ebay that is designed for lab use. (not the dog) It has a solid 1" plate that the mould can sit on directly. I have yet to use it however. It just seems to be "the ticket."

Doug

Boolit Master

I couldn't find an old fashioned hot plate, so I bought an electric skillet at Wal-mart. It heats up a lot of ingots at once, and does a good job of pre-heating my aluminum moulds.

I got mine at Harbor Freight. It's nothing special but it works and it was cheap.

About $9 I think.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good Will Store. $2
    Check Salvation Army as well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I have three one will not boil water the others work well got them all at yard sales. To cast I use Coleman gas fired stove and iron pot I just set mold on grate next to pot it heats just right uses no extra fuel or electricity.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.