Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Razor blades and boolits

Boolit Master

Razor blades and boolits

When I was growing up, we used to hunt squirrels with our .22 rifles. We found out that if you put an "X" cut into the top of the boolit, it would knock a squirrel out of the tree a whole lot easier. Kind of like a hollow point but not. Has anyone ever heard of a guy doing this on a larger caliber boolit? The school of hard knocks has taught me to try to ask first.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

In Remembrance
    I think they call those dumb dumb bullets. I've heard of old timers from the war doing things like that on handgun rounds.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Or dum dum

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that's a dum-dum. I think the terminology goes back to the Brits on the Indian subcontinent or South Africa or Afghanistan..... Probably some o' the commonwealth guys will know where/what/when the term came about. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    Dum Dum Arsenal during the days of the British Raj.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Bertie-Clay

I flat point CB longs with a small file and it definitely helps terminal performance on varmints.

Never tried it with larger calibers.

ive seen it done in movies, but wouldnt this effect accuracy?
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

In Remebrance

It depends on how you make the "X". The old timers like Ned Roberts put a slip of thin paper between the mould halves at the nose, said it worked. These days filing a simple flat nose on 22 ammo seems to make it kill far better than HP ammo. I wonder if the extra work of the paper, etc. outweighs the time spent in larger bores when a FP is so much easier.

In Remembrance
    I don't know just the thought of that makes me wonder. You got speed and rotation to throw into the equation. Get something like that going to fast and the two halves I would think would want to come apart rather easily.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

In Remembrance

Unless it`s my CRS acting up again I do seem to remember that making for use cut bullets like the Dum Dum is illegal.Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Dum Dum Arsenal during the days of the British Raj.
    My take as well.

I have read of folks cutting the tip of FMJ's with a bayonet. I also read that if you took off too much, the lead core would squirt out when fired.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

"why wouldn't it affect accuracy?"

Because the front of the boolit/bullet has almost nothing to do with accuracy. The boolit
    is steered from the back, at least until you get to serious long ranges.

Do this test. Grind the nose of a bullet in several different ways, whatever suits your fancy,
    angled, straight across, long angle, etc. Shoot a group with these bullets that have the
    noses modified at 100yds. Now take a flat based bullet and give it one good file stroke at
    45 degrees on the rear corner and load it (mark it with felt tip) and fire in a group. You
    will have one significant flier. This is why when you are casting, sort the boolits by the quality
    of the rear corners more than anything else. If the nose is crummy but the rear corners are
    good, it will shoot fine in a pistol and at least decent in a rifle.

Once you get to really long ranges the nose imbalance will have an effect, no doubt, but it
    is much less than damage to the rear corners. Best possible groups, like benchrest will need
    boolits/bullets that are perfect everywhere, of course.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Being in possesion of a "dum dum" or any exposed lead pointed bullet IS illegal.....in warfare. I really don't think the squirrels care much.

On the other hand, shooting game with a FMJ is illegal in most states as far as I'm aware....no "stopping" or "shocking" power........goes through like an electric drill and the animal usually crawls away to die slowly.

It was often written about during and just after WW2, when hunting ammo was impossible to come by. They'd take a full-patch .30-06 round and cut it with a hunting knife. Authoritative writers in the Rifleman thought it was hogwash, and advised against it.

There's a whole cottage industry, seen on the rimfire boards, of selling tools to modify the points of .22 rimfire rounds.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tracks View Post
    When I was growing up, we used to hunt squirrels with our .22 rifles. We found out that if you put an "X" cut into the top of the boolit, it would knock a squirrel out of the tree a whole lot easier. Kind of like a hollow point but not. Has anyone ever heard of a guy doing this on a larger caliber boolit? The school of hard knocks has taught me to try to ask first.
    I have several ancient 50-70 rounds that have been cut as above and some that have the nose cut off flat, so somebody thought it would work a long time ago.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    "why wouldn't it affect accuracy?"

Because the front of the boolit/bullet has almost nothing to do with accuracy. The boolit
    is steered from the back, at least until you get to serious long ranges.

Do this test. Grind the nose of a bullet in several different ways, whatever suits your fancy,
    angled, straight across, long angle, etc. Shoot a group with these bullets that have the
    noses modified at 100yds. Now take a flat based bullet and give it one good file stroke at
    45 degrees on the rear corner and load it (mark it with felt tip) and fire in a group. You
    will have one significant flier. This is why when you are casting, sort the boolits by the quality
    of the rear corners more than anything else. If the nose is crummy but the rear corners are
    good, it will shoot fine in a pistol and at least decent in a rifle.

Once you get to really long ranges the nose imbalance will have an effect, no doubt, but it
    is much less than damage to the rear corners. Best possible groups, like benchrest will need
    boolits/bullets that are perfect everywhere, of course.

Bill
    Or just read "The Bullet's Flight"!

The paper in the nose of the mold trick was in the Lyman Cast Handbook #3 I believe. I may be wrong, I've read so much over the years. I think I remember quite an article on the subject of modifying the nose of the cast boolit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Sound like the old timers deer slugs from cut shells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU
    Yes my grandma wears combat boots. But remember her carry weapon is a Ruger .454

Boolit Man
    My grand-dad used to notch his with a penknife and kept grandma busy making squirrel gravy. Didn't work out so well with me behind the rifle, of course... Never did see him do it on anything larger than .22.

Boolit Grand Master

Have used thin alum foil in the nose of 45-70 blts inserted in the mold, and it works very well. Saw no difference in accuracy. Never tried it on game however.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Something wrong with that Wikipedia information on the 'Dum Dum'. The original Dum Dum Arsenal boolit was a 115gr round hollow nosed bullet, not a soft point or soft nosed bullet. I had one. Or at least I thought it was one. Wikipedia can be wrong and so could I. I would like to be sure and to be corrected if wrong.

The Dum Dum Arsenal was located in India, near Calcutta.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-31-2011 at 04:11 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''