RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossi 92 load strength question

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm

Here is a good article on the Rossi and it kinda ranks other lever actions in strength too.

I have one in .45 Colt and it handles 300 grain boolits at 1600 FPS with no trouble. Execpt mine shoots Ruger/TC loads lower than SAA loads.
    The notion that the Rossi Puma M92 in 454 Casull has undergone a "special heat treatment", sits clearly in the category of "Gun Folklore". I imagine someone once thought "it must be different from the other Rossi M92's due to the much higher pressure of the 454 Casull" and because upon inspection it appreared identical to one chambered in 45 Colt, it must have the "special heat treatment". That's very commonly used "logic".

Boolit Master
    I have a Puma in 454 and my std load is a 310 gr cast at 1950 with a caseful of Lil Gun. Recoil is a bit stiff. I don't know if anything special is done with the metal in the 454 but what ever they did is working well for me.

Boolit Master

According to a thread on leverguns.com of several years ago, while dimensions of Rossi 45 Colt and 454 Casull actions are the same, Rossi heat treats its 454 bolt, locking lugs, and receiver differently. When I talked with their tech support several years ago, I discussed that I wanted my 45 Colt Rossi to be able to use the same ammunition I handloaded for my Freedom Arms 97. So long as overall cartridge length is not greater than 1.610 inches, Freedom Arms Model 97 in 45 Colt is rated by them to have identical pressure limitations as old model Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt revolvers. Braz-tech informed me that my requirement was no problem. I have been doing this for more than seven years without any issues.

Hope this helps.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12