3 4.23%
  • Other

17 23.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22lr Brass Preference?

Boolit Master

22lr Brass Preference?

So I am curious if those who are separating .22lr for swaging has a preference on the 22lr brass they use? Or does it even matter?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Any reason why? What others?
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 08-16-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    CCI is probably the most plentiful I'm guessing and it does work well for jackets.

Boolit Master
    I like the CCI best, but Federal comes in a close second.
    I lump all the rest into one group.

Just my way of doing things.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

In Remembrance

Quite a few of mine will get spit out in FULL AUTO mode, so it's not going to matter.

Spray and pray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_UuxsXDl4
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 08-16-2011 at 06:51 PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

I don't ever separate them when I am deriming and drawing them. I like the Remington the best because i have fewer of them pop through. then Federals. But I love the way Winchester super x-es look its just bad a&* on the end of your little pill LOL I do however separate them when I am making bullets (Core seating core swaging) because I am shooting for consistent weight +/- .2 grains.
    Last edited by Reload3006; 12-03-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Boolit Master

I like Federal myself.
    They are a little thicker and seem to hold together
    a bit better then others. PMC is also a thicker brass
    but it does not seem to be as consistent as the Federal.

Another thing with the Federal brass, I can get a little
    more velocity with it then with the rest without it coming apart.

Eley may be the best, because it is consistent in weight and thickness.
    and I have gotten my best groups with Eley. However, I never end up with very many.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I've been meaning to show my method of de-rimming my brass, but for now I am going to let it goe for a bit longer until I try one more thing.. I can tell you that I prefer Fed, CCI, and Super-X when I was using the de-rim die, but now that I am using this other method, I get very little brass waste.. I'd say my success rate went from about 75% de-rimmed to about 95%... It is a 2 step process, but has a lot less waste.. As soon as I can get a start to finish, I'll post my method.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    I'd say my success rate went from about 75% de-rimmed to about 95%... It is a 2 step process, but has a lot less waste.. As soon as I can get a start to finish, I'll post my method.
    I do not understand this. I have run more than 2,000 through my de rim die and have punched through maybe 5 cases, maybe...

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    As long as I stay away from Federal brass, my success rate is atleast 95%.

Boolit Master

I think a lot of it has to do with corrosion. I have about 80% success rate over all but I pick up most of my brass from the range. The brass I pick up that I have shot myself I have (not done a scientific study on it) probably a 99% success rate and my wife and kids shoot a lot of bulk Remington and federal 22LR
    Also something to pass on that scares the liver out of you. I pick up a lot of miss fires pull the bullets dump and try to burn the powder throw them in the pot when I boil them in citric acid dish-washing detergent to clean them. I have had several of the primers go off it has caused no damage but it sure raises the pucker factor. LOL

I prefer once fired brass. One time, got one that was not fired (maybe primer did not completely cook off) and when I de-rimmed it I got a nasty report that scared the #@($* out of me. Short of that I will push anything through the dies I have and none of the Gopher's have ever commented about a particular preference at the receiving end.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master

I de-rimed about 4500, 22 cases 2 months ago and only remember loosing 3 from having the heads pop off. I lost more that fell on the floor and I stepped on them and crushed them.

I used to loose 15-20% until I changed the way I prepped the cases.
    I anneal them in a toaster oven at 550 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
    This takes a lot of the temper out of the cases but does not make them overly soft. ( Having them too soft is about as bad as not annealing them at all)

On the push through pin, I have a slight radius that keep sharp edges from cutting the brass and pushing off the head of the case.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    On the Federal cases, it isn't that I pop heads off them. It is the priming mixture they use. If I don't get it all out, it will destry a de-riming punch in a hurry, plus they seem to stick to my punch where other brands do not.

Boolit Master

I have had best luck with Federal no losses of cases Remington often split or the bottom pushes off . CCI have been good also I just have less of them. I have had "pops" from all brands of 22 primers from left over priming I find it hard to believe some priming survives firing.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I like Federal myself.
    They are a little thicker and seem to hold together
    a bit better then others. Another thing with the Federal brass, I can get a little
    more velocity with it then with the rest without it coming apart.
    This is what I have observed too.

Boolit Buddy
    According my todays de-rimming the best were Lapua , Eley and RWS.
    After them Rem and CCI which were jumping from the die

Boolit Master

I clicked other.
    I've not played with this as much as some other folks, but Lapua and Eley SEEM to have the least case wall variation when measured with tubing mics. The 55Gr. bullets I have made with 22 shell casing jackets seem to shoot as well as the bulk bullets from Remington or Winchester and are more explosive when they connect.

Boolit Master
    Wished I could add Eley and Lapua to the poll. Anyone like those?

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Wished I could add Eley and Lapua to the poll. Anyone like those?
    I haven't tried any of them but I will keep a look out for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast