Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 'Success' on the range. Not!

Angry 'Success' on the range. Not!

It was one of those days. My shooting went badly and I haven't heard the end of it!

It was windy with strong gusts but my mate was shooting bug hole groups with his 308 and j-words. (A total fluke of course! Just because he put five shots into a dime in the wind three times in a row with a target barrelled, Timney triggered, BSA Mauser, does not mean a thing to the non-believer ..... .
    Then he goes and shoots a magpie at 200m with his 22-250. Also a fluke! And if he mentions it by way of a boast to anyone in my presence, I'll deny it happened. Tee hee!)

Anyway, some of it was his fault. He told me my gun was shooting high when it was shooting low 'cause he was looking at the wrong clump of grass. On paper the curious thing was the appearance of the bullet holes when they did hit paper. It really was windy with the wind going from zero to quite strong in quick succession but only closer to the target. Some of my shots were in a nice vertical line (I was adjusting elevation - again based on erroneous information) while the rest landed downwind so it could have been the wind (my boolits were only doing 1600fps and the tange was 100m).

But then my apparently accurate load in my accurate sporter at 2250fps did not perform well either! Those few that did print a 'group' (all three of them) were high and at 3 MOA!

So, back to the drawing board. Better 'quality control' on my castings and a re-test without wind from a decent rest to see how the load and rifle actually performs then take it from there.

Even so, a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Even so, a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!
    May be, but sometimes you have to help yourself out a little.

Sometimes...a small clod of dirt or maple tree seed may find it's way shoved down against the side of a barrel..or a scope windage adjustment given one full turn (it looks like where it should be).

Sometimes the little things in life can be the most warming...
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master
    Dunno 3 MOA sounds pretty good for you don't it 303 guy???

Ohh the wind. most pronounced effect form the muzzle end ..not so much at the target.

I'd like to get into shutzen shooting...but...using stuff that blows around at whim and those inseetinsy groups they shoot scares me a bit.

Best to have a few excuses to pull out every now and again.

I have been known to look at my splatterings and say..
    well...
    if I had wind flags and alowed fotr the wind...Hmmmm
    Bring this one down an inch or so for the wind and that one over here a bit and this one..
    well I might have pulled the trigger....
    .plus this one looks like a bad patch...maybe there is a burr on the case neck....
    See roughly into a 2-3 MOA group.
    SWEEET!!!!

Apart from that I'm still trying to get some-one to hold a heavy steel funnel in front of the target for me..althou no ones seems that keen on the idea....never mind.

Barra

Big culvert 100 meters long??? But we all have them there days, eh?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    I just bet you didn't really want to shoot in that wind. That's it, you didn't want to!

In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Yes that's it!

Just to rub my nose in it a little more, by niece's partner took me out rabbit shooting yesterday. He went and shot three in a row at way longer distance that 22 subsonic can shoot and all head shot and exit through chest DRT's! While I missed twice! (I do have a good excuse for both, first one was too far - he shot it - and the second easy one I hit the fence wire in front of it!) On the upside, he got to feel good about himself. Besides, there's nothing wrong with being second to a master shot!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''