Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I made my first piece of GUNLEATHER!!!

I made my first piece of GUNLEATHER!!!

Here's a night's work with some ~4 oz vege tanned leather, some black Fiebing's dye, some waxed thread and a DeWalt cordless. It's a hack job attempt at a Sourdough style pancake for my 5" Model 60 357.

It seems to serve the purpose as it stands, but I'm probably going to make something similar out of 10oz so it will hold it's shape a little better.
    It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    WHAT HACK JOB? Looks like a light weight minimalist hand gun carrier that will last a long long time with a little care. You know it is amazing how long a leather holster will last with a little replacement of the oils in the leather.

I would be proud to wear that holster if I made it!

The leather is really way too thin, it is already losing it's shape after a few hours wearing it at the range. I stopped by a local leather guy and picked up a couple squares of 10oz, some snake, and a black shark split that the price was just too good on. I'm making a drop leg holster out of the shark split, and I think it is turning out much better. I carried a 480 SRH in a drop holster last season and really liked the feel. This should be a real dream with a gun that's half the weight.
    It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Looks like a good first try to me 1 thing i would say is watch your belt loops I would sudjest you either stitch all the way around the opening and use a slicker or a beveler on those edges or go with a loop style. b/c you may end up tearing it out if you leave it as is.. Here are a few pics of some of my first run holsters from a few years ago.

The bootom right 1 is a don hume holster he also sews around his belt loops, the bottom left 1 is for 1911 easy slip threw holster this was my first holster that i made. Top right is my range holster I use it all the time it is also for 1911 and the top left is for a N frame smith mostly my 625 but my 627 fits it as well but to be honest i dont use it much.

By hotwheelzzz at 2011-08-20

Keep up the good work man and if ya ever need a little help shoot me a pm Id be gald to help ya if a i can... Youll learn quick I made this about year after i started and Im still very pround of how it turned out many hours and cramped hands from pulling thread

By hotwheelzzz at 2011-05-28

By hotwheelzzz at 2011-05-28
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice