RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: When sawdust isn't handy...

When sawdust isn't handy...

does shredded cedar or aspen rodent bedding work OK for fluxing wheelweight ingot melt? Thanks.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Anything that produces carbon monoxide will flux typical lead mixes. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    Carbon monoxide.......nice. And another in the series of GREAT reasons to have thorough ventilation in your casting area.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

MDF99---For years the Rodent Raisers rags have all warned against fluxing with Aspen rodent bedding. What works great is cat bedding,and even better if the cat is in it. Just dump it in cat and all,and all your fluxing worries are over. First post--welcome to the board. Glad I could help.

Banned

The cat has to be fattened up first because that fat is what makes a good flux. Skinny ones need not apply.

44Man---No doubt a fatter cat makes for better fluxing material,however,if you have a skinny cat not to worry just use more cats. Several do better anyways--a whole litter of kittens is great,those that have never reproduced seem to have special characteristics.

Cats

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman
    MDF99---For years the Rodent Raisers rags have all warned against fluxing with Aspen rodent bedding. What works great is cat bedding,and even better if the cat is in it. Just dump it in cat and all,and all your fluxing worries are over. First post--welcome to the board. Glad I could help.
    Don't be taken in by CarpetMans claims to be a cat hater. In reality, he loves them, treats them very well, and has several dozen that he feeds. He also likes sheep. A lot.

Thanks for the welcome! I reckon I'll dismiss the warning from the Rodent Raisers Foundation and proceed to flux with (unsoiled) rodent litter. It's a lucky day for the local felines!