WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** Mauser to 7.62x54r

Boolit Bub

*** Mauser to 7.62x54r

A friend and I went in a "project" deal- two disassembled Mausers. Another buddy was moving and his wife didn't want these to go with them.
    ANYway, the stocks suck- they're soft on each end. ALL the metal bits look like they were well and nicely sanded quite a while ago, and have attained that fine orange patina. And they both slug out to .311 to 3.12, depending on which end you start with. Oh, and some numbers may be close, but there's none matching. Perfect Bubba material!
    So, my real question is, would it work right to pull the barrel, cut off a thread, reinstall and rechamber to a 7.62x54r? Or if that's too "big", maybe a 7.62x39? The numbers look like it'll work, to me.
    8mm Mauser ammo bits are getting to be a beeyatch to find; I've been pounding down Remington 30.06 range leavings to make some decent (cheap) brass. There's 7.62 stuff laying around everywhere out there- cheap. Brass, bullets, etc. Even my old Lee 303 mould should work.
    I'd rather have shooters than wallhangers, and these ain't wallhangers.

Boolit Master
    I think what you're suggesting is probably doable, although I think you're going to have fun getting 7.62X54R ammo to feed in a Mauser designed for rimless cartridges. Not saying it can't be done, just that it may not be simple.

What caliber were these Mausers chambered for when you got them? Have you considered something like 7.65X53mm Argentine Mauser?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Is the action too short for 30-06? Thinking 32-06.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

In Remebrance

Gidgaf, are you saying you have barrels that are .311/2 on a Mauser 98 action? That sounds like you have '09 Argentines in 7.65x53, a wonderful round suitable for anything in the lower 48. Brass is available from Grafs. I'd leave them just as they are. The '09's were great actions. The 7.62x54R is rimmed cartridge, hard to get to feed right without a major, major rework of the mag. The X39 would work, but how much of that "brass" (steel?) you're finding is Boxer primed and easily reloadable?

Were it me and if I just wanted some shooters, I'd slap a Ramline stock on the actions, invest in some brass and see how they shoot. If you don't like them the brass will sell easily here and the stocks probably too. If you do like them better stocks are available.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gidgaf View Post
    snip And they both slug out to .311 to 3.12, depending on which end you start with.
    If that is groove diameter, it is awfully tight for a 7.92, even the I (.318), much less the IS (.323) bore. Assuming 1898 type, would these happen to have been M1909 Argentine Mausers in 7.65x53mm? If the bores are good enough for you to consider setting the threads back and rechambering, and they are 7.65, you already have a cartridge pretty close to the .308 in a strong action like the 1909, which Nicholst55 already suggested. Many of these 1909s were butchered by the importer (Century?? I no longer recall which importer[s]) rechambering to .30-06, resulting in what might be termed a .303-06. Accuracy with commercial -06 ammo was awful as the bullet rattled down the larger bore.

7.65x53mm brass is not cheap like USGI 7.62 or .308 Win, but new brass is available from Prvi Partizan and (much more expensive) Norma. And fired brass turns up occasionally. RCBS used to make a case forming/trim die to make these cases from -06 and similar longer cases. Redding still lists a trim die.

By the way, why do you say 8x57mm Mauser "bits" (I'm assuming brass here, since you talk about "pounding" out of .30-06) are getting difficult to find? Graf lists 4 different companies in 8x57mm Mauser (Privi Partizan, Remington, Winchester and Norma), though Remington is currently out of stock.

Good luck with the project.

Isn't it great to see a reply sent while you are writing yours with the same content? Bret4207 - great minds think alike.
    Last edited by Ed in North Texas; 08-07-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: noticed the immediately previous post

Boolit Master
    The bolt face on most Mauser actions is designed for .473" base diameter, also the extractor is sized for this. Bolt modification done right would cost more than a low end barrel. Make chamber cast and choose direction from there. Boolits in a bolt gun, you will find that brass will last a looooong time if taken care of. Gtek

Boolit Master
    Not saying it can't be done, but I think it's going to take alot of work to open up the bolt face and mag to work with the big rim on the 7.62x54r.

Once you've opened up the bolt face, you can't go back.

Most of the 7.62x54r ammo i've seen isn't reloadable boxer primed brass, so unless you have a source for dirt cheep mil surp ammo, reloading for 7.62x54r isn't going to be any cheeper or easier than 8mm.

If it were me, I would check out one of midway's $89 barrels. Pick a caliber you can get / load for easily, like 243, 308, or 30-06
    NRA life member

LB

In Remembrance

Look on the front reciever. Does it have the Argentine crest there of 2 hands clasp with a sunset befind them? If so this is an Argie action and is chambered in 7.65 x 53 with a .312" barrel. This is an excellent round that ranks, power wise, between a .308 Win. and the .30-06. There should be writing on the left side of the reciever also that would describe the modelo and where it was made. Do a bit of research before you decide to destroy a fine rifle already. Stocks can be gotten, "rust patina" can be removed, but a "bubbaed" action job and a ground down barrel thread is just scrap metal.Robert

Boolit Master
    as I remember, the argentine action was in the white, originally. standard size 98 mauser, large ring. the action will work with most standard sporter calibers without any work on it. a rim case or a real short case will give problems.

I'd hate to think it a 93 or 95 turk mauser in 7,65...those are rather collectible in their original chambering.
    OP did not state if this was a 91 or a 98 type action...hell it potentially could br a belgian 89 and or a M35 or a M36 belgian mauser ( all were in the 7,65 cal too ).
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gidgaf View Post
    A friend and I went in a "project" deal- two disassembled Mausers. Another buddy was moving and his wife didn't want these to go with them.
    ANYway, the stocks suck- they're soft on each end. ALL the metal bits look like they were well and nicely sanded quite a while ago, and have attained that fine orange patina. And they both slug out to .311 to 3.12, depending on which end you start with. Oh, and some numbers may be close, but there's none matching. Perfect Bubba material!
    So, my real question is, would it work right to pull the barrel, cut off a thread, reinstall and rechamber to a 7.62x54r? Or if that's too "big", maybe a 7.62x39? The numbers look like it'll work, to me.
    8mm Mauser ammo bits are getting to be a beeyatch to find; I've been pounding down Remington 30.06 range leavings to make some decent (cheap) brass. There's 7.62 stuff laying around everywhere out there- cheap. Brass, bullets, etc. Even my old Lee 303 mould should work.
    I'd rather have shooters than wallhangers, and these ain't wallhangers.

Back in the day when 8mm Mausers were cheap and plentiful, but 8mm ammo was not. What I did was same as a lot of others, just had the chamber reamed out to 8mm-30-06. Made for a little more powerful rifle and ammo was no longer a problem.

I sent in a Lee Classic (hammer with a mallet or stick) 30-06 die with request, Lee reamed out to 8mm and they never charged me for work or shipping. That was right at 50 years ago, and Lee has had a loyal customer for their products ever since.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...iw=960&bih=459

Boolit Bub

*** Mauser to something

Not 98s, these are 88s. No spitzer slot, no "NM", not all the screws but does have extra oddie parts in the bucket, including a real *** 71 barrel, stocks are almost Charmin soft, rusty receiver and barrel. This is no resto just a project for range fun.
    AND since I've been playing with 308s, 3006s and 8mm I somehow forgot about the rim/extractor issue. I was just trying to think of an off-the-shelf type of ammo. I had been perusing Numrich for parts and pleasure- I don't know why I didn't think about Midway. For $89 and a little work maybe another 308 will come in handy.
    Other than that I was just trying to keep the old barrels. The barrels do seem (bore cleaned up nice, almost shiny) good, tho the muzzles may need a little counter bore and crown. They are a little loose for 308, about right for a SMLE 303, and since the numbers were close ...
    *sigh* or maybe that 7.65x53
    Last edited by gidgaf; 08-07-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: forgot something

If these are those boat anchor condition gew88's from equador... and from the bore size these are those czech made barrels to the ORIGINAL 88 patrone specs , these are not going to do you much good as the Model 1888 ( gew88 ) commission rifle action - THIS IS NOT A MAUSER - IS NOT ANYTHING YOU WOULD WANT FOR A .308. Boltheads and bolt head parts are tough and fairly expensive parts to find. You won't find much if anything in the way of sporter or sporter accessories for the gew88 action.
    Those super commercial spec type 7,9mm barrels can cause a kaboom if used with surplus S or sS patronen as most of it out there is hot and consideably too big of bullets for a 'tight' .318 bore. Your best bet would to simply seat .303 or 7,65 bullets in 8mmmauser brass and go from there.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

Boolit Bub
    I'm not too sure about Ecuador (I still look at that picture!) but these were in a bucket in a garage for over 20 years. That we can figure out. The bolts and bolthead parts are actually the best looking parts- they look like they were cleaned, bagged and covered in STP.
    I know about the Commission- one of my favorites is a slightly Turked 1891-05. Which is why I was looking for a smaller power round for these guys. I like the idea of the 303 in the 8mm case- but I already have 3006, 308 and 8mm, and I'd like to avoid any accidents by having an obvious distinction.

G ; If your two 88 actions have true .318 bores... there is only two ways that happened. 1 ) Post german use commercially before or after WW1 whereby it was rebarreled by a gun guild for commercial sales. 2) One of those rifles rebarreled by the czechs for Equador in the 1930's.
    The 88 action does not lend itself well to sporterization without alot of 'extra' work with the limitations of the mannlicher magazine and bolt head dimensions , oh and relative strength for modern ammunition.

Boolit Bub
    HI!
    No, they're not .318, they are .311 to .312.
    I was trying to get a low power modern ammo conversion that uses the original barrels. Still trying. If it was as plug-n-play as I wished, I think the 7.62x39 rounds would have made a nice pea shooter. I'm liking the idea of just sticking the .303 slugs into the 8mm brass.
    I *like* making Remington 3006 into 8mm. I already HAVE a Remington 700 ADL 3006, so that helps. I start with a good modern alloy reliable strong cartridge base stock that allows me to use cast slugs and shoot good. Well. They're also free from the range. It don't bother me a bit to toss out something that doesn't look OK.
    And I'm getting old. Er. Sometimes it can be an issue looking at some of these rounds from half a room away and not know right away which is which. The Kropat vs the 3006 vs the 8mm- pretty obvious. But I'm trying to avoid the .308 vs the .323 8mm vs the .311 8mm in a dim room prospect. So far, I'm keeping the .308s and the 3006s (same mold) flat nosed, and the 8mm are .324 round nose. But my Lee SMLE .303 boolits looks exactly like my Lee .324s. But they do have a pointy 7.62x39 mold that might oughta work. If all I really need is one more mold ...

ANYway, anybody know of a few nice extra but sturdy Commission stocks? Cheap?
    I should send pictures- I did get one from fleaBay. "Nice shiny finish" meant rough sanded and a 1/8 uneven coat of poly. Which is holding the chips in, the cracks from spreading, and the green cosmo from leaking out the back. *sigh* Always an adventure.

Boolit Bub

*** Mauser, etc

For some old reason I like old things.
    I have an inordinate fondness for folding medium format cameras.

And old military rifles.
    Hence my enthusiasm for these *** Commissions.
    The stocks really are really rotten on both ends. Since I don't have the front band anyway, taking off the front end of the stock may get me to decent wood, and it won't look too bad. The same with the last couple inches- I'll just stick a fat recoil pad on the butt.
    Right now I'm straightening out a shroud to get it to fit. The ladder sights are still unsighted. The mount had been hammered a bit; I'm thinking someone didn't know about the solder. So, I may just unsolder it off, and bolt on a Weaver mount.
    The receiver looks good, the bolt is bee yutiful, the trigger is a tad raspy, and the bore is nice.
    It might be booming away in a couple months!

G ; Collectors like myself refer to original pattern and commercial pattern 7,9 bores as 'true .318's' to note they are NOT for .323" bullets. Did you note if the barrels on these have the czech lion firiing proofs on them or commercial german proofs ?.

<gwyliecoyote@comcast.net> Get ahold of George here - he runs a very good gew88 website and therein has a trader page for 88 bits and you may get lucky.

Donald Ball <DBall39539@aol.com> and contact donald... he has dozens of gew88's he has restored to shooter status from the south american horde , plus he has done some very extensive study on the gew88 overall as is his penchant to go all the way on such things. He may have spare bits you could use.

Two great fellows !.

Boolit Bub
    > G ; Collectors like myself refer to original pattern and commercial pattern
    > 7,9 bores as 'true .318's' to note they are NOT for .323" bullets. Did you
    > note if the barrels on these have the czech lion firiing proofs on them or
    > commercial german proofs ?.
    Nothing. Nada. I see the czech check on one of my two good ones. On the ***, tho there is one small (1/4") dent that could kinda have been something- but rough sanding followed by decades of rust and corrosion prevents me from discerning anything. Other than, with a squint in single point lighting at an angle, it could possibly be reminiscent of a crown. Shape. Maybe.
    And thanks for the links! I will contact them shortly.

Boolit Bub

*** Mausers

Latest last update.
    Buddy and I spent more than a few hours debating and planning.
    Since both guns were merely incomplete collections of mismatched parts, we felt it OK to bubba them a bit. The stocks sucked- the plan was to cut off the crappy ends, fit a pad on the butt and finish the front, and do it nicely, We'd DIY parker the metal bits. The barrels were not quite round at the end, a few inches off would get us to a good bore, and maybe they'd shoot well. The shrouds were beat, might as well cut out that really dented piece in the middle and weld it up, maybe even leave a few inches of barrel sticking out. WAIT! We don't really like that caliper; maybe a rebarrel to 308 would be nice.
    In the meantime, his wife was looking at time and material being taken away from her, and she started bending his ear. OK with me, I'll just buy him out. My wife is older than his, she didn't mind either way. Then his work friends and FOAFs started in on "someday soon this will be worth a lot of money!" More discussions followed. He now has all the parts and pieces, plus whatever odd crapola I wanted to get rid of I just dropped into a bucket.
    And now I have yet another Kropat. At least I have all the "real" dope on this; I still wasn't sure on the real caliber of the Mauser. After all that work on slugging I tried out a regular 8mm shell- and it was a NOGO by maybe a quarter inch.
    Now to make up some more smokey lube and test my new toy out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast