WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Single burner camp stove = CHEAP smelting

Single burner camp stove = CHEAP smelting

Hey all:
    Earlier today I did some WW smelting, on my single burner camp stove (the kind that screws directly on the 1lb. propane tank), and this time paid close attention of my fuel usage.
    I used just under 1.5lbs of propane, to end up with 67 pounds of ingots.
    I have to think the low fuel usage is because I use a thin steel pot, as opposed to heating a lot of cast iron for nothing.
    I have the cast pots too, just haven't used them in a while, since I started using the steel one.
    Please note, I did THREE batches, and did not place 67++ pounds on top of the camp burner.

maglvr
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master
    Sounds good.
    I still use a little enameled pot for casting.
    Used to put it on the gas camping stove to smelt WWs, it works but
    some day you might want to get a bigger setup!

I've tried electric rending as well as a small propane setup, but I've found the no-competition-most-economic way is firewood.
    I use a crude stove based on a 55 gallon steel drum and a stainless steel cooking pot that holds 200# of lead.

Only drawback is that it gets a bit too hot, so I sort out all the zinc by hand.

Boolit Master
    Dang, that looks good. I have an old drum in the back but
    was thinking of making a meat smoker, depending on
    how the drum smells. I never opened it.
    It came rolling down the street in a windstorm where I used to work.

I'm still using my coleman 502 single burner when i have a small amount of lead to melt.
    Works great.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I also use the little Coleman dual fuel single burner camp stove. I only use white gas AKA Naptha, seems like the generators last longer.

I'll add white gas here is available at the pump.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use a old coleman dual burner camp stove to smelt. I have been using the coleman fuel that walmart sells for around 7 bucks a gallon. Im going to look for Naptha, never saw it at any stations around me, I could get 3 good smeltings a gallon.

Boolit Buddy

Coleman Gas substitutes

Where do you buy naptha at less than Coleman fuel prices??? Anyone trying regular unleaded gas in old Coleman stoves not designed for it???Used to use Amaco unleaded gas is the 1960 till early 70's....40cents a gal. too....afish4570

Yep, Clodhopper turned me on to the single coleman burner for smelting/casting....it works great.

I do small batches at a time and I really enjoy the slower pace...kinda takes the days stress away. It may not be high production, but for me its perfect.

Lonerider

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afish4570 View Post
    ... Anyone trying regular unleaded gas in old Coleman stoves not designed for it???...
    I read in a similar thread that it works just fine, haven't tried it,
    still have a can of brand name fuel. Next time I fire it up I'll try it.
    Last time I looked at the army surplus (been a while) it was going for around $7,
    that ain't right.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I also use a old coleman dual burner camp stove to smelt. I have been using the coleman fuel that walmart sells for around 7 bucks a gallon. Im going to look for Naptha, never saw it at any stations around me, I could get 3 good smeltings a gallon.
    Where do you buy naptha at less than Coleman fuel prices??? Anyone trying regular unleaded gas in old Coleman stoves not designed for it???Used to use Amaco unleaded gas is the 1960 till early 70's....40cents a gal. too....afish4570
    Where? I live in Northern Inaiana's Amish country and White Gas AKA Naptha and K1 Kerosene is available at the pump it the local gas/convinence stores.

One of the benifits of Amish country short of all the horse **** on the roads, that you bring home on the undercarriage of your car. Lots of folks wash the undercarriage before taking their car in for service, just to stay on the good side of the mechanic.