RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 28 of 128 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading bench pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmShooter View Post
    This my humble abode. All three benchs where made by hand, I made them a bit too heavy duty oops
    Anything worth engineering is worth OVER-engineering...

I thought that I was the only one who felt that way.

My wife says I overbuild everything I do....
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Remember the "Titanic".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    I thought that I was the only one who felt that way.
    For most things, you can get away with it... Aircraft are a bit different... If you make them too strong, you might not get them off the ground...

I figure that if I can't use the table to lay an engine from a car on it, it's probably not strong enough... Or maybe at least support the weight of half of a car... I don't like the feeling of "Hmmm... I wonder if this is going to support my weight plus the other stuff I need to put on this table?"... My reloading table's work surface is made from 2x6s and 2x8 joined / glued together with biscuits made from 1x4s, but at a cross grain to the grain of the planks... Kind of like really wide rectangular dowels, I guess... I'm not really worried about it not supporting anything I'm likely to put on there or even if I need to climb on top of it to reach the air-conditioner vent in the ceiling of the room...

If I had my own separate workshop to put it in, I would use concrete filled cinder blocks for the supports on each end and embed some very long bolts in the concrete fill of the cinder blocks at the top so that I could bolt the table top down to the blocks (which would be tied into the concrete and rebar of the slab)...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    Remember the "Titanic".
    There's a difference between thinking that you've over-engineered something and actually having done it... Unfortunately, sometimes engineers find out that they didn't quite get it right... This is usually preceded by a statement of something like, "uhhh... that's shouldn't happen..."

Boolit Master
    It's one of my favorite jokes...
    An optimist says the glass is half full.
    A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
    An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I like your analysis of construction in general and would like to engage in an amicable colloquy of the subject, but I must retire for the night.

The engineering on the "Titanic" will forever be a controversial subject, but in my non-design engineer opinion (I ran a USS Destroyer's plant for my service time) you are spot on.

I would, however, say that most, or at least many, of the casualties at sea originated in the accounting or finance rooms.

Uncle R, das a guddun!

Boolit Master

Earlier today I completed Phase-2 of my reloading project when I reassembled and mounted a Lyman All-American turret.

Phase-1: In March I cleaned out and cleaned up a room in the basement for reloading and game playing, since christened the Furhrerbunker (I also play board wargames and military miniatures). This took 2-weeks. After that I cleaned up a reloading bench that was languishing in my garage and moved it to the Bunker, then cleaned up and mounted the Dillon 550B. After that I bought a C-H ‘444’ and mounted it.

Phase-2: I built a second bench (the first one is <5’ long) that is 6’6” long and built with 2x12, 2x4, and 4x4 lumber, held together with 3/8” bolts. Pushed against the first bench and the wall, it is an immovable object with enough space for everything including a rifle rest for cleaning. I also purchased several presses on Ebay, then disassembled, cleaned, painted, and reassembled them. They along with two powder measures, were then mounted.

The bench is now complete and ready for use.

Phase-3: Build book shelves for the top of the benches.
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 07-24-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Some of you fellsas have a great, neat and orderly setup. I can still find everything I need to. Here's my bench.

Boolit Master

Nice to see another C-H '444' owner. How do you like it?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I like it alot. Just recently got it and am still getting used to it. Still got to have the Rockchuker press setup for decapping primers. I like the CH better because I can see what I'm doing better than with the rockchukar. My original reason for getting it was that my blackpowder guru has an old CH press and I liked using it when we would assemble BPCR rounds. How do you like yours?

These are old but its an idea of what I have. Yes, Its a small house.

** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

That's just the idea I had that I couldn't sell to the wife. I like the idea of an out building such as yours. Very cool. Looks like you have a fair amount of room.

Boolit Grand Master

mustanggt;
    You MUST use strategy! I told my wife that I needed a small utility barn to store some of the bigger things in the garage (where she parks HER car). I casually mentioned that would be a good place to also put in a dedicated casting station so I could take it out of the Florida Room.

It went like a charm. I now have a 12x20 Utility Barn (with a loft) where I store the lawnmower and wheel barrow as well as my power tools, etc. Naturally, since I was going to be working out there in inclement weather I installed a 220 volt electric wall heater and also an air conditioner.

We are both happy.

Like I say, you just have to think these things through and when you say something (like,"I'll get these things out of the garage", do it!)

The advice is free...

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 08-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Boolit Master

Mike do you actually use that or do you have a maid come in when your through to tidy up a bit ...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Banned

Mikes got a used reloading gear super store.

Boolit Master

C-h '444'

[QUOTE=mustanggt;961590] How do you like yours?/QUOTE]

I have had it since April and consider it my "goto" press. I had a Rockchucker that got lost in my last move and haven't missed it since getting the CH. I really like the fact that the Ch sets on-top of the bench out of the way rather than hanging down like the RC. It's also alot quieter, smoother, and stronger.

I bought their autoprimer as an afterthought and installed it (a minor nightmare), but don't know if I like it as it doesn't operate smoothly. However, it seems to be getting easier to use, so I will give it a chance.

I also have a Dillon powder measure installed (the early picture below shows a Lyman 55), but haven't tried using it yet.

Some socially challenged individual on another site dissed the CH as being unfit for use due to its "out-of-date" design. Show me a press that is based on "new" technology. I haven't seen it. They are all aluminum or cast iron C, O, or H presses (and the old Savage figure-8). The CH is of better quality than 99% of current manufacture presses due to its all-steel design and bronze bushings. That's one reason why my bench is populated with as many all-steel or cast iron presses (the CH, Hollywood, and Herters Super 3) as I can find.

Dale, No wonder I've been married three times. Thanks for the tip. Kevin, I agree 100% on it being smooth, solid and out of the way. I like the rock but this CH press is the way to go and is worth the money I paid. As far as the socially challenged individual on the other site he either hasn't used one, did but wasn't smart enough to see it's virtues or as my favorite comedian Ron White says,"You can't fix stupid!!!"

It's also alot quieter, smoother, and stronger.
    Could you expand on quieter a bit. I find that an interesting observation...............Creeker

Page 28 of 128 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast