Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: MD 45-70 405gr BGG GB

Boolit Master

MD 45-70 405gr BGG GB

My new mold arrived Tuesday 8/2. A thing of beauty.

I'll update when I have a chance to cast. Meantime I'll start this thread to give others a chance to post their great loads for me to use.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

My mould arived 7/27. Cast 200rds ea of PB & GC 7/31. I loaded 5 GC rds with 40 gr of IMR 4198 , only 3 landed on a 8.5x 11" target = what the heck.? That load with the RCBS 405 fn goes into a 2" group @ 100yds. Next with that one I'll try 37gr of RX7 and see what happens. Next I tried the plain base.loaded with IMR 4895, 45/46/47grs. 5 each. 45& 46 went into about a 4" group @100yds.47gr started to drift apart. also tried 5rds with H-4895 43 grs that grouped about 3" Hope you other guys that bought this mould will share what you are doing with this boolit ,so far i'm a little disapointed with the results. I just have to keep playing with other powders to try to get what I want.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Grand Master
    Josher, I don't have that mould but I have a Lee GB that was very similar. Try 24 or so gr of 2400. My Marlin will shoot 5 of those into 1.5 inches at 100 yards off the bench. It shoots so well that I shoot that load 90% of the time I am shooting that gun.

btroj:will keep that in mind next time I'm shopping for powder,tks. meanwhile,today at the range I tried 50gr of IMR4895 under the NOE 405 GC and it grouped much better.2"-2.5" With the PB I used 40gr H4895 and it grouped quit well also and was a mild load to shoot as well. This boolit has a lot of promise and will continue to to experiment with it. ps . the 50 gr of imr4895 is a 100% loading capacity with this boolit ,51grs with this boolit changed the OAL from 2.500 to 2.515 as this powder does not compress well.[it still chambered ok]
    Last edited by josper; 08-09-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

my targets all were 100 yds.

The squares on the upper photos are 13/16's this one is a 10 shot grp.barrel was very hot. there are 2 .22cal holes at about 10 oclock one the edge of the black.

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems like you have a bit of vertical. What sights? What sort of a rest? Was recoil biting you a bit?
    Many things can give you ertical groups like that. Could be as si ple as using a rear bag and having the rear swivel stud hitting it. Any change in recoil can cause vertical like that.

Looks like the rifle wants to shoot. The 40 gr of H4895 looks like it is pretty good already.

I would say you have a decent shooting combo, now just need some fine tuning.

Brad

I tried using my Harris bipod but the stud on the rifle is out on the end .It didn't fit well and the screw kept loosing up.I think that didn't help much.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is why you got the vertical most likely. With that in mind I think you have some good loads.
    Looks like it is time to load a bunch up and go shooting.

btroj: your right ,next is to load a bunch for these trial loads and shoot more to confirm these loads.

The sights on my marlin is a 2x-7x Redfield scope. The 50gr.loads felt stout but the 40 gr loads were very mild,felt kind of wimpy.The RCBS load with 40.5 gr of IMR4198 thumps sharply. I once got to fire a 90mm Dragon anti tank round ,now that was a rush!

There was twenty other guys that bought this mold,wish they would come forward and post how they are doing with it.It could be helpful with finding a load that works really good with it .If two heads are better than one, just think what twenty could do.

I tried a load with 48grs.of RX-7 today and my main group was about 1 1/2" at 100yds. this was with the NOE-460-405 with GC lubed with BAC. I think this load was shooting better than I could hold it as I have to admit that I'm not as steady as I used to be. I think some of you could shoot a smaller group with this load.Try it I think this load will work for you,just remember to work up to it in your rifle. I said main group.There were a couple of rounds out side the group but I know for sure I pulled them and called it when I fired them.