Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hensley & Gibbs # 130

Boolit Master

Hensley & Gibbs # 130

I have a chance to buy a 3 Hensley & Gibbs bullet mould 2x#130 and a 244 4 cav

how does the 45 185 shoot in a 1911
    and how is the 38 wc

I know the ebay price is out of this world

What is a fair price
    one of the moulds is missing pins/screws or has broken screws

ps this in in Ontario (north of the border) so don't get excited
    just a local deal

thanks

Boolit Buddy

H & g 130

The 130 is the Gold standard of 45 acp target boolits used by the truckloads in bullseye competition over most of the past century.
    Price is determined by several factors; condition , condition, condition, number of cavities, desirability, locale, and desire to own. These moulds were made to last several generations of dedicated shooters.

Le Loup Solitaire

H&g #130

Grab it and run! Any screws, pins or bolts are replaceable. As long as the cavities are ok, its a great deal. As for the design, the 130 has been the choice of champions for a long, long time. It feeds reliably in the 1911's, gold cups and other good pistols. The price keeps going up and you'll never lose anything. When Ballisticast gets going again soon you will see what a new one costs and it is pricey. LLS

Boolit Buddy
    FYI, the 185 grain weight is with linotype. If you use wheelweights, it'll run somewhere in the neighborhood of 195-200 grains (at least that's what mine did), That being said, it was a very accurate bullet in my wadgun with 3.6 grains of Bullseye and a 10 lb spring.

Boolit Master

The H&G 130 is a great boolit for the 45ACP. The only thing better in my opinion is the H&G 68.
    I have both the H&G 68 and Lyman 452488, which is a carbon copy of the H&G 130.
    I think the 68 is a touch better in my gun than the 130, but as John Wayne once said, "I'd hate to have to live on the difference."
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Not sure what asking price is on the mold you're looking at is but NOE has a few 2 cavity and 4 cavity 130 clones for sale in the vendor sponsor section.

NOE 453 196Gr. SWC

I have the 5 cavity version of this mold and it is by far the best casting mold I own. Mine drops at a consistent 198.3gr with straight ACWW.

Last batch I cast I had about 10 to 15 rejects out of over 700 cast and about 85% to 90% cast right at 198.3gr. The rest were all within .5 grain of that.

Boolit Master
    Having a 4 cav mould will be different

I have been casting for years using a RCBS 45-200 swc 2 cav
    so if it casts anywhere from 185 to 200g I will be happy

i told him i would take both of the 105 moulds only have seen pictures

So dropping 4 at a time x 2 moulds will empty a pot in no time

I have been looking for a 185g mold for several years --- not many boolit casters in my area and if i get something from south of the border i might not see it for 3-4 weeks yes weeks if not longer

Don't want to say the actual cost i am getting them but each mold will cost me more than a brand new 4 cav Lyman
    but lyman does not offer a 45acp bullet in a shape i like (at least in 185g)

cast bullets in the local stores seem undersized for my guns (or just too hard)
    and casting stuff is all special order or very very limited seliction

went to the last small gun show and no casting stuff except some single cav stuff for round ball moulds or the odd home machined stuff that is very odd
    used reloading dies in cardboard boxes for $40-60 yes the price of new stuff

actually hoping mould drops on the light side (for the wife) and me

thanks for the info

Boolit Grand Master

I know that the 130 was widely used in bullseye competition, so I got a mold and tried it.

In my guns the Lyman 452460 will out shoot it on every test I did, which is not a huge
    amount of testing, maybe 5 or 6 groups. No magic in it for me.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Many 3-gun shooter used the 130 for their 25-yd loads. Less recoil, allowing faster recovery during the sustained-fire stages. And back to the 68 for 50-yd Slow Fire. You will like this boolit.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Will the 130 feed in a stock 1911?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Will the 130 feed in a stock 1911?
    Yes, it will usually feed in un-altered guns just fine.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Mold

mystery solved

Glad I read this thread, I also have the 130 but my mold drops a 200 gr. I just figured i had a custom HG 130. Instead of the normal 185 gr. mold. I use a lead -tin- antimony mix.

My 4 cavity H&G #130 will drop a 185 grain bullet from 2/6 alloy . It just does make a .452” bullet from WW alloy.

I’ve had guys shoot it and fall in love with it saying it worked better than the #68. I think some of that may be simply that a cherry load was fallen into when they stuffed the #130 in. A #68 or the #130 is capable of shooing sub 2” groups at fifty yards. Shooters who can do that usually say the #68 is better at 50 yards in the wind.

Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Picked up an H&H 130 recently and I am getting ready to work up a load for my Springfield TRP 1911. Anyone have an OAL starting point with this boolit? Going to try and work up some loads to try out soon.

Thanks
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Picked up an H&H 130 recently and I am getting ready to work up a load for my Springfield TRP 1911. Anyone have an OAL starting point with this boolit? Going to try and work up some loads to try out soon.

Thanks
    Where did you get the mold?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Got it in a trade!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master
    Use your pistol's barrel to setup your dies.

I have some to try out at 1.160 thats about half up or down the first band

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    I have some to try out at 1.160 thats about half up or down the first band
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	necro.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	275060

The last post in this thread was seven years ago.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    The H&G 130 is a nice bullet and with range scrap it is about 200 grains, but does not feed as well as the 68. The 130 comes up for sale quite often, so I wouldn't pay and exorbitant price. I personally prefer my H&G #68's as they feed 100% and the accuracy is legend, but they come up for sale a lot less frequently and typically bring top dollar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast