RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you USE?

Boolit Mold

What do you USE?

What do you use on your larger groove lubed bullets (non tumble lube) to keep the lube from getting all over the other sized bullets in the box. Now I know some use hard crayon lube with heaters, but what do you use on softer lubes like 50/50 bees wax withy Alox ? In times past I would stack all my sized bullets in a cigar box, but who's got the time. Do you roll them in Flour, Talc , Mica, dust em with something ?? And how do you apply it, what's the procedure ? Your answers are warmly needed and all replys appreciated. Thanks OL' STICKYFINGERS

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Nothing.
    I keep them in my basement where it stays 70F or lower all the time. They may be a bit sticky, but not so much it is a big handicap.
    I do see where you're coming from. If it's hot where them boolits live, they are prolly nearly tumble-lubed with 50/50.

Banned

I stack mine in neat rows in cigar boxes, add a piece of waxed paper, cardboard, and another layer of boolits. It doesn't take but a split second more to place the boolit in the box after removing it from the sizer than it does to pitch it in the box, unless you're using a Star, in which case you could use mica. I never store mine loose (lubed or not) because handling them en mass dings the bases, not good for gas check shanks or plain bases. I use soft lubes and doing this I don't have sticky fingers or stuck-together boolits.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    I use 50/50 and then just a quick wipe after loading. I don't sweat the little bit of lube that gets all over them. The old factory loads always came with greasy boolits.

In Remebrance

My boolits go in cans, bags, boxes, whatever I can find. I've never had a real issue with 50/50 causing any undue sticky issues but you could treat them as I do Mule Snot lubed boolits and dust them with Motor Mica, graphite or even corn starch baby powder.

Boolit Buddy
    A light dusting with cornstarch, especially during hot weather.

Don

Boolit Master
    I am a Javelina fan, pan lube. I go through trash cans at range in the pistol area and grab all the shell holders the go bang and drop crowd leaves. I also purchased 30 pistol plastic cartridge boxes
    for seperation of boolits. Black Sharpie to 3x5 card, bullet info and wt. and lay on top inside. Thats 1500 holes for a little over thirty bucks, cannot seem to keep them full. Keeps them clean and sticky off everything else. Gtek

Banned

Nothing. My boolits are a huge sticky mess in a box. I wipe the base across a rag before seating. All the extra lube is GOOD for the boolits.
    My Felix lube is soft, sticky and gooey! It is on my press handles, in my dies, etc. Just keep seating punches cleaned out.
    Wipe brass after loading, leave the boolit alone.

i don't worry about it. the only place i worry about lube getting on a boolit is the base. i make absolutely certain that the base is dry before i load it. anything else will wipe off after it is loaded up.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I used to dust with Mica, decided it was messy too. I just let'em stick in the can and wipe them off when I seat them.

Boolit Master

I've gone to using LLA as it's much easier to handle boolits lubed with LLA than ones sized and lubed with 50/50 from a lube sizer. This includes both plain based as well as bevel based boolits! I live in FL, and the temp INSIDE the house is usually 80 degrees, so any boolits lubed with 50/50 are a sticky mess. I've considered going with a harder lube, like BAC. or 2500, as they should flow thru my sizer without needing any additional heat when the room temp is 80! I might have gotten my percentages wrong, as I had mixed up some of my own 50/50 and it seems firmer than some sticks of Javelina I have that I've been using in my 45 lube sizer. I got 3 sticks of it left, once I get rid of them, I can move on to something a bit firmer!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master

I stack mine in neat rows in cigar boxes, add a piece of waxed paper, cardboard, and another layer of boolits.
    I agree with Gear, I use old flat rate boxes and line them up with wax paper on top of each layer. Works for me, I don't care for a mess.
    Take the time storing the bullets or take the time after when you load.
    It's up to the person I guess.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned
    All of mine go into 40/45 Speer cartridge trays. Plenty of trays in the range trash cans.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like Bret, mine go into whatever I have handy. I don't like the lube all over things but it isn't that big a deal to me. The Star does pile them all together so I just leave then like that.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek

The Secret is Out!

My method to keep soft, greasy lubes from migrating is to keep all pistol bullets of 9mm through .45 cal. neatly stacked in my own homemade boxes made of 1" boards. The boxes should not be too big, say four layers of 200 .45 cal. bullets, which can easily be stacked into a box 6" X 6" X 3 1/2" so full boxes won't be too heavy to lift. Rifle bullets of 6.5 mm through .35 cal. and pistol buliets of .30 and .32 cal. are stored higgledy-piggledy in old jacketed bullet boxes. This method has kept Felix and Javelina lubes from making a mess for over forty years in the hot summer weather of California and Nevada, other than the one time in 1968 that I stored lubed bullets. Ever since, lubing bullets has been the first step in loading ammunition, but only enough lubed bullets for the lot of ammunition in question.

Never heard of anyone else using this technique, guess I'm a clean shop freak.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Bread pans (for baking bread) come in two sizes. About a buck or so at yard sales and/or flea mkts.
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Boolit Mold

Keep it coming

Looks like most of us have our own particular method. Strictly personal and preference. I was hoping for some Strike from the Blue amongst the heritage here. But lets keep her running and see if someone spills the beans. Thanks to all for what works so far.

Lubed boolits go into old butter/Tupperware dishes, cool whip bowls or coffee cans. I'm all about rootin in the trashcans at the range like a feral hog looking for the pretty "factory" boxes that guys throw away. Unless somehow they get wet, those boxes can last many, many trips to the range.

Armorer

Banned

I just toss them in a big coffee can and put them in the fridgerator or freezer. Until ready to load.

not really....

Super Moderator

...............Hi, mine name is Rick and I've been a unrepentant trash can diver at the range since forever Besides the nifty plastic slip top 22RF and magnum ammo boxes, I liberated those compartmented plastic ammo trays some pistol ammo (especially Fiocchi) comes in. Those for the .380/9mm/40S&W/45acp were religiously vacuumed up. Lubed slugs from 30 to 45 cal have their own little 'pocket' to live in until loaded. Quart sized ziploc type bags easily hold a couple trays to keep the dust off.

However, for years I've merely TL'd PB 38 WC & SWC's for mild 38/357 pistol loads, and keep them in those inexpensive re-sealable plastic containers in a jumbled together state I always thin my 'issue' TL 50% with paint thinner (heck, that stuff is $9 a gallon nowadays!) which is great for my mentioned purposes. They reload easily and don't end up in big stuck together clumps and using Lee 6 bangers most of those containers are usually always 50% full.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast