RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your go to 22 LR ammo?

Boolit Master

Ah yes, another 22rf thread
    I like CCI Blazer

I know the local super serious rf target nuts shoot the expensive Eley or RWS stuff. Talked to one the other day and he just ordered about 800.00 worth so he could get the same lot# for this year's 6 month competition cycle.

Boolit Master
    Aguila Match(Blue box)/SK Standard Plus aka Wolf Match Target/RWS Target....in that order.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Quote Originally Posted by 405 View Post
    I like CCI Blazer.
    That's how I roll. Hurts to think about the time I paid $9.99 for 500 of them.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

i give the nod to the federal auto match. err, i should say the guns did.

Banned
    in all my semi's they get fed a steady diet of federal bulk pack only(i looked into the future about 10 years ago and i knew it was gonna go up in price, so i bought 40,000 rounds of it for 8 bucks for 550) and when i shoot my bolt action or single shots they only get CCI STINGERS unless im sighting them in..

Link23

I have just recently discoverd these CCI Blazers. Very consistant and good accuracy. Before it was Winchester Wildcats the only thing that wood feed in the Ruger 22/45.

Shot some China-Mart Federal, Auto Match, Bulk 325 in a box. They show some some promise.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

I use the Federal Bulk from WalMart for just tugging the trigger and fast shooting with my Buckmark or practice rapid rifle drills at close range. For shooting distance, Wolf match that has been sized with a "Waltz" die. Same ammo, same, die but set up with the hollow point pin in it and make devastating hollow points for head shots on squirrels. Wood chuck's good center chest shots...one shot kills at 100 yds. I am quite fond of or was of Federal UMB ammo but communist business plans/plots have changed that.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Buddy
    I acquired a case of Army issue Remington .22LR, standard lead 36?grain bullet, standard velocity. Let me tell you, it out shoots any other ammo I have ever run through my Marlin 60SS. Better than the CCI, Federal, Win, Rem with copper plated bullets. Better than Stingers, Ely, you name it. With a bench and scope, at 50 yards I can literally put them all thru (ok, almost through) the same hole. No other ammo comes close, in my rifle.

We buy the CCI Blazers by the brick, good working and cheap.

Boolit Buddy

Mine is ELEY, expensive but in my opinion it's the best.

wright now my best is remington sub-sonic hold a group of 10 rounds in .221 even with my can on it shoots at .232 it works for me

Boolit Master

Most of my rimfire shooting is with auto pistols. Any more, the mod 41 gets only CCI Stand Vel. Fewer problems, very consistent. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

Historically, Win Power Points for hunting and the cheapest bulk Rem or Fed for plinking.

I did just pick up a brick of Aguila Interceptor HP (40 gr at advertised 1,470 fps).

Unfortunately my chronograph was not working yesterday when I tried to verify the velocity claims.

I can tell you the Aguila sure did sound a lot hotter than standard HV ammo. TOF was notably less as well, and you could tell they were hitting the gong a lot harder.

Wish the darn chrono was working!
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

CCI Standard Velocity
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Bub
    I have had a lot of good results with CCI Green Tag for competition in my High Standard or my S&W41. Their Mini Mags for small game but I don't get out for that very often. Works well in my Ruger 10/22.

Boolit Master

CCI standard target has been very good the last several years. It's reliable in my FAS target pistol, and it's affordable. I like their SGB as well, though I don't know if it's still available.
    Otherwise it's RWS Rifle. Excellent, but expensive.

Boolit Mold
    All 3 of my marlin bolt guns like the CCI velocitor ammo. Now the problem is the y don't make it the same anymore. It used to come in a clear pack that stated it was loaded with gold dot hollow points and were coated in a wax lube. The new ones in the blue box just don't shoot the same. Looks like i will have to try some mentioned here.

Boolit Master
    Guess I don't have a favorite .22 unless I am wanting to show off my Clark Custom 77/22 at which time I'll pick up some of the target/match types, although there are a bunch of "off the shelf" types that will give me ragged 10 shot groups off the bench.

One thing that an earlier poster said caught my eye however. The comment being that he wasn't sure the high end ammo had any real advantage in the typical .22s we use.

In general, I agree with that thought. However, a friend and I had some friendly shoot off sessions 2 - 3 years back.

First year we used mostly target/match ammo, including some of the Lapua that was had sold for the 15 - 17 dollars per fifty - now pushing $20.00?? - and the second year shooting the typical off the shelf products.

Jack has a Savage Mark I or?? single shot, the kind that comes from the factory with target type sights, but on which he has mounted a 4X Nikon.

My rifle for the shoots was the Clark Custom w/3X9 Leupold EFR.

We shot off the same bench and bags, at 50 yds in good conditions, SHOOTING from the same boxes of ammo.

The first year, Jacks' rifle left me wondering at my much larger investment - well over double - as his Savage shot right along side the Clark and with some ammo bested me.

The second year was a different story. While the Savage did shoot respectably for a rifle of that price level, the Clark out shot it consistantly, and in some cases by a sizable amount.

The CRuger just kept shooting those nice little groups, ammo after ammo after ammo.

THEN, I knew why I had spent the bucks on an outfit of this level.

Soooooooooo, the point is, if you are willing to spend the time and $$$$$$ your typical off the shelf rifle will probably show you an Off the shelf ammo that shoots very well from it. It may take a bunch of testing. While the pricey products very likely will show you some really nice groups from a number of different products.

BUT ------------------- the expense of a rifle or barrel in the quality level of the Walther installed on the Clark Custom will GREATLY expand the number of options available.

By the way, I shoot lots of CCI Blazer in the RUGER Mark IIs and in the Clark, but have a number of brands/types on hand due to the testing done with the CRuger and the "slabside" Mark II w/2X Leupold.

The slabside really likes one of the Wolf target/match ammos!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    CCI standards, buy them by the 500 pack. Plan to try Norma .22lr soon.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast