Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: What is your go to 22 LR ammo?

Federal 711B and a new find is the CCI Standard Velocity sold at Dick's @ $29 per 500, been very accurate in a number of rifles.

This has probably already been said (honestly, I only read about 70 of the 121 posts!), but IMHO, letting your ammo choice "settle in" is often more important than the choice of ammo.

My most accurate 22 rifle is a vintage Win Mdl 75 and my second most accurate is a re-worked Ruger 10-22. I need no fingers to count the mis-fires with the 75, and only 5 (or so) for the Ruger.

But for both, when changing from one cartridge to another, even within the same brand, shooting 5-10 cartridges seems to "re-acquaint" the barrel, and accuracy will even out. Yes, sometimes POA will change too, but I've become a lot more tolerant about various brands.

Boolit Master
    Interesting Winmike,

I read on Rimfire Central Forum, info which agrees with your findings.

I guess I should try it out some time to see.

My Clark Custom 77/22 just shoots so very well, with any ammo it likes, which is a whole bunch of them both pricey and off the shelf, that testing ammos for groups I have just gone from one ammo to the next without a barrel seasoning session.

I need to set down while I still have some of the high end match/target ammo on hand and maybe shoot 5 or so 5 shot groups while changing ammos between each 25 and see just what kind of progression I get in group improvement as the barrel settles into each ammo.

Might be interesting, and as I've said before if it makes that much difference I should start shooting for prizes or $$$$ cause it is already a real sweet shooter.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Mold
    RWS Subsonic,Winchester Subsonic and Eley Subsonic works great in my Anschutz 1422.

Cheers from Sweden

Super Moderator

My go .22LR is CCI Mini-Mag. It has been the most reliable & accurate in my .22's.

The go to 22rf ammo for me is Winchester Xpert22 Hollow Point 36gr lead bullet cartridges in the 500 bulk cheapie pack, is accurate and functions 100% in all my rifles/handguns, it dispatches small critters instantly out to 50yds and works for squirrels with head shots.
    32ideal

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    After testing my Contender carbine likes CCI Small Game Bullet it has a wide meplant. My sons Winchester 52 prefers Remington Subsonic Hollow Points. For everyday shooting and for the grandsons to burn up it's Government Surplus Remington 40 gr. lead round nose projectile and a velocity of approximately 1135 fps., at the muzzle, from CMP. They just had it back in stock and sold out again in a couple of days, but at $125.00 plus $24.95 shipping per case. it can't be beat. Midway wants double for the same stuff.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Bub
    My goto stuff is over 20 years old... still got almost 2 cases left... it is the Winchester SX solid points in the old plastic boxs. Works great in my T/C's and Model 39's... about 1.25 " on a good day scoped at 100Yards

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567