Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Feed - What a Difference!

I have been dealing with cataract surgery the last 6 weeks. I think I am going to try to get it up and running tomorrow. I need to rebuild my boolit supply.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Initial thoughts:

Heat is extremely important. I think that if you are lubing a BIG boolit like the 460420, which is a 45/70 plain based boolit with 2 big huge grooves, it needs to be a little hotter than a smaller boolit. The lube has to flow better. I used this boolit because it has always been a pain.

It is really nice not to have to jack with the pressure screw.

This is going to really speed things up. I can see smoking through a bunch of smaller boolits with smaller lube grooves, much faster. For instance a 9mm single lube groove is going to be smoking fast.

I think that melting the lube and pouring it in is better than using hollow sticks. I alway quarter my hollow sticks lengthwise to make the air pockets go away faster. Resist the urge to pull the piston to check how much lube you have left. It pulls a big hunk of lube out and getting it back in is a pain.

This is a cool deal, I wish I had done it a long time ago. I always had lubing as my least favorite task in the casting process. It is going to be no big deal now.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    This is a cool deal, I wish I had done it a long time ago. I always had lubing as my least favorite task in the casting process. It is going to be no big deal now.
    A minor learning curve getting the heat/pressure balanced with a given lube (all lubes like a bit different heat) and room temp. Takes a bit more heat from the lubrisizer heater and possibly a tad more pressure in the winter when the room is cool. As with most new things worth while the minor learning curve is well worth the effort.

Wait until you start cranking out those gazillion bullets you mentioned in an earlier post that you had to do then let us know what you think of it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I spoke too soon. I went back an hour later and had all kinds of problems. I'll post after I get home and talk to Magna.
    Crabo

Boolit Master

I ordered the air unit this past Monday. Can't wait. Gotta go get a little portable tank and stuff. I'll get back after I try it out. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    I ordered the air unit this past Monday. Can't wait. Gotta go get a little portable tank and stuff. I'll get back after I try it out. Mike
    I bought this one for the house since it was a lot smaller and I reload and size inside.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallo...ank-65594.html
    Crabo

Boolit Master

Thanks crabo. The one I ordered is very similar. Actually made by Huyndai, or it has their name on it anyhow. Five gallon also. I'm really looking forward to getting it going. I was a little disappointed to read that nearly all of the parts of the air cylinder from Star are made in Chineey. Oh, well. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12