MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Feed - What a Difference!

Boolit Buddy

Air Feed - What a Difference!

Finally broke down and bought an air feed from Magma. Having had the Star for less than a year, it was still somewhat troublesome, lube on the nose, gaps in the lube on the boolit, sticky lube, etc. Not all the time, but it seemed that just when it started running well something would crop up. Trouble with getting consistency was that it wasn't always clear whether it was the temp, pressure, air in the lube (hollow lube sticks), or just not holding my mouth right.

With the air feed set @ 60 PSI I was able to lower the temp to around 95 degrees (using Carnuba Red) and just crank out boolits. When the lube that had been in the sizer ran out, I remembered a mention of melting the lube and pouring it in, and tried that as well.

With those two improvements the sizer really shines. No extra lube anywhere, lube grooves nicely filled and the boolits weren't tacky anymore. Frustration is down and production is way up.

When the feed arrived I took it out of the package and remember thinking, '$100 for that?'. I still think its a bit over-priced, but its definitely worth spending the money on. If you're still relatively new to the Star and are having problems with consistency like I was, buy the feed, you won't regret it.
    Jim

Boolit Buddy
    The magna air powered lube is nice isn't it. I plugged the Star weep hole with a section of rubber and a hose clamp so the Star will hold more bullet lube, running about 103 to 105 with carnuba red and have the best looking bullets.

Boolit Buddy

I was thinking of plugging the hole too. Just out of curiosity, how much lube are you able to put in with the plug in place? Without the plug I was able to get about 1 1/3 of the melted hollow sticks into the sizer. Used a flashlight through the hole and stopped when the lube reached that level.
    Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Don't melt the lube and fill the star but use solid sticks of carnuba red. You need some clearance for the air piston on top to be installed but plugging the vent hole does allow another 1/2 to 3/4 stick of bullet lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    How difficulties it to set up the air feed? How do you get the piston put of the reservoir?
    I am considering an air feed for my Star but want to know more before I dive in.

Boolit Grand Master

btroj, dive in you'll not regret it.

The difference is night & day. The air system plunger takes up far less room in the reservoir than does the spring & hand crank. Plug the hole as was mentioned and fill with lube to about 2-2 1/2 inches from the top, set the plunger in and screw down, your good to go.

I put off buying the air system for a long time, I kept telling myself that I wasn’t a commercial caster, didn’t do enough bullets to warrant it. Then one day while on the Magma web site and looking at it I thought what the heck and ordered it. After installing it I was in shock, for two weeks all I could think was . . . What was I thinking, why didn’t I get one of those years ago.

About a year ago I got a deal on a second used Star, before I even had the chance to go pick it up I had an air cylinder sitting on the bench waiting for it.

Yep, go for it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Ronbo - I ordered solid but received hollow. Have about 8 or so of the hollow sticks left. Melting and filling actually worked pretty well, just used a glass measuring cup on my mould hot-plate.
    Jim

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    How difficulties it to set up the air feed? How do you get the piston put of the reservoir?
    I am considering an air feed for my Star but want to know more before I dive in.
    Piece of cake. You remove the plastic piston off the old rod and screw it onto the new rod, screw the new assembly onto the sizer, plug in the air, adjust the pressure and you're done.

To remove the assembly to add lube, you unscrew the nut and just pull it up. There's also a hole at the base of the air cylinder that you can blow air into and push the rod back up to make it a bit easier.
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Yep,
    I like the air feed as well. Now all I've got to do is "pipe-in" an air chuck into the spare bedroom (loading room) so I can lube in the comfort of A/C.
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    Do you guys run yours off a bubble or a compressor? I would think that a bubble would work fine as you don't need much volume at all.
    I may have to get me one. I might be able to run with a bit less heat and get good lube fill without those darn nose blobs.

Boolit Grand Master

A bubble?

I'll guess you mean a portable air tank. Yes, that will work fine. It doesn't take any volume, just pressure. A portable tank should last quite some time if you have no leaks.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I use a small pancake 1 gallon compressor, works great.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, a portable air tank. That is just what I have always heard them called.

Boolit Master

The neatest part of the air kit is that if you have multiple Star's you only need one! I have 4 Star's and as I only use one at a time the air kit is simply mounted on the unit that I will be using. I never planned to get one of these units - it was part of an estate sale. I never used it until I was bored one afternoon - (careful, boredom can be expensive!) I fitted the air unit, adjusted the heater PID and lubed away. After more than a 1000 45's I realized how much simpler this was than having to crank the lube pressure.

I'm not saying that the Start is inefficient without the air unit, it is still the best unit out there by a long shot.

Bliksem

What parts would I need to buy to use an air tank with it? I size in the TV room and a pancake compressor would not go over well.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Just get one of those portable air tanks at an auto parts store and fill it up at a gas station. These tanks run about 5-7 gallons, the Star air unit doesn't use air volume, only the pressure. Fill the portable tank and it should last quite some time.

That's all you need except a short air line (get the coiled type) and the quick connect fittings.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Thanks Rick. I have an industrial compressor in the garage so air is not a problem.(way overkill) And I have an air tank, so I better order the air unit since I need to cast and lube a bazillion boolits.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy

air tank

I have a regular large compressor in the garage but use a small charged up 5 gallon portable tank for the star. Did not have to buy another air hose just cut the air fill end off the original portable tank hose and used a barbed hose clamp brass fitting with a quick connect air coupler. The tank has lasted for months at 120 lbs to start and still is over 80 lbs, lube my bullets at 60 lbs. The only air that is lost is when turning down the pressure to quit lubing some air is released through the pressure adjust valve.

Thanks for the info. I ordered one yesterday.
    Crabo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Thanks for the info. I ordered one yesterday.
    Did you get it?

If so, what do you think of it now that you've used it?

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast