WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: RCBS JR3 rocks front to back?

RCBS JR3 rocks front to back?

I have an older JR3 that I just secured to my bench. The bench top is 3/4" ply so I figured I'd need a 2x4 mounting block under it to help secure it. I'm still getting a fair bit of play when I'm seating primers, what should I do? I'm thinking about getting a steel plate that I can drill a pair of hole into to allow the bolts to pass, but I can also use a narrower one that runs between the bolts. What would work better (besides a new bench top)?

You need more than a 2/4 . You need a more rigid set up , another large piece of 3/4 inch plywood glued and screwed to what you have.

Ok, that makes sense.

My current benchtop is mostly cobbled together with what I had on hand and is ment to be portable. My next one will be two 2'x6'x.75" oak plywood sheets sandwiching a 2'x6'x.75" piece of particleboard. 1.75" wood screws and construction adheisive should make it almost the equivalent of a single piece of 2.25" plywood and also rock solid.

My bench top is a 1.75" solid core door topped with 1/2" plywood. No rock, no bend
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

At work, we have found that 1" thick particle board is stiff enough for reliable primer seating. An alternative is to mount a 2" x 10" plank to the front of your bench. That should provide enough rigidity for primer seating.

Ok, I now have a plan. I'll be 'rebuilding' my portable bench with either 1" strandboard or a pair of 1/2" ply sheets glued & screwed as the benchtop. The sides and top 'shelf' will be 3/4" ply to lower the weight.

Thanks for the input, it has been totally appreciated!