Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: New to me gun.

Boolit Bub

New to me gun.

I have always wanted a Browning 1885 Hi Wall in 45-70 just for shooting paper and occasionally deer and hogs. I've found a gun that I can afford and will close the deal soon. It is the Sporter version with the 28 inch barrel and shotgun type stock. I would appreciate information on what bullet mold, lube, powder and such what work with this gun. Also where can I find a manual for this rifle if possible?
    Thanks,
    G

Boolit Master
    http://www.browning.com/customerserv...etail.asp?id=4

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...uals/index.asp

The 1885 is still in production, Browning dot com, naturally!

Ron

Here's your particular Manual, you may need an updated version of Adobe Reader: http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/1885manual.pdf
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Congrats 452. I know you have been looking for one for awhile. It's your call of course, but from what you say you want to do with it, about the heaviest bullet I'd personally consider would be 405 grains and that would be used for the hogs. Lighter bullets will take whitetails easily and will probably serve you for the occasional target you may want to shoot. Lube is determined by whether you are going to shoot black powder or that "other" powder that is a dying fad. I'd use SPG or Bull Shops NASA lube. As for powder, I'd use 1.5 Swisss, but that's just me. Maybe you will want to try FF Swiss.

Best of luck with your new rifle. Those are really nice and I know you are going to enjoy it.

All the best to you.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post
    http://www.browning.com/customerserv...etail.asp?id=4

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...uals/index.asp

The 1885 is still in production, Browning dot com, naturally!

Ron

Here's your particular Manual, you may need an updated version of Adobe Reader: http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/1885manual.pdf
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded and printed the manual and looked up the serial number. This rifle was made in 1989 but is still 98 to 99% perfect (safequeen) but not for long. I could not find where the rifle is still in production though.
    Thanks,
    Gerald

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Prince View Post
    Congrats 452. I know you have been looking for one for awhile. It's your call of course, but from what you say you want to do with it, about the heaviest bullet I'd personally consider would be 405 grains and that would be used for the hogs. Lighter bullets will take whitetails easily and will probably serve you for the occasional target you may want to shoot. Lube is determined by whether you are going to shoot black powder or that "other" powder that is a dying fad. I'd use SPG or Bull Shops NASA lube. As for powder, I'd use 1.5 Swisss, but that's just me. Maybe you will want to try FF Swiss.

Best of luck with your new rifle. Those are really nice and I know you are going to enjoy it.

All the best to you.

Thanks BP, I have learned a very important lesson. I used to sell all the goodies such as bullets, bullet molds, brass and such with the rifles I sold but I'll not do that again. I recently bought another 22-250 to rid my pasture of Pasture Poodles so now I have to buy another set of dies and more brass. I have owned several 45-70 rifles over the years (1 Marlin, 2 94's, a Original Calvary Trapdoor and a Rolling Block) but sold the last of them about 8 years ago along with all the goodies. Now, here we go again.

Depending on how well this rifle shoots or I should say how accurately I can shoot it, will determine if it's a hunter or if I want to get into shooting with the local Black Powder Club.

Anyone know what the typical bore size is on these guns. I have a chance to buy a set of molds but I need to know what sizer to buy with them.
    Thanks,
    Gerald

Boolit Buddy

Browning high-wall 45-70

Mine slugs at .450/.457

Barrels on these guns seem to be choked- tighter at the muzzle than at the breech.
    Of course this assumes it is not the Black Powder Cartridge Model with a Badger barrel.

Good luck with your new aquisition, Most of these guns are REAL SHOOTERS!!!

Take Care
    DOWNWIND

i have the traditional hunter with the crescent butt-stock and straight grip...love it absolute!!! what a perfect hunting rifle and the feeling of being around the campfire holding this rifle is just the thing to thrust your mind into the 1800's in time and allow the mind to smile for a few minutes.

mine does 1 to 1.5 inch at 100 yds with 34gr of rl-7 with enough cornmeal over powder fluff to just kiss the base of a 405gr boolit [Lyman 457643] or the base of a 405gr jacketed. both these shoot extremely well in my hi-wall. i can get 100 yd accuracy with bp for hunting with it but haven't gotten as good a accuracy as with my reloder 7 load. i shot this smokeless load without the filler but didnt get the accuracy till i added this cornmeal fill to the mix.

have fun with an excellent rifle and pictures man...pictures!!!

Boolit Master
    The Model 1885 "High Wall" Rifle was introduced in 1985. The Model 1885 "Low Wall was introduced in 1995. The Model 1885 BPCR Black Powder Cartridge Rifle was introduced in 1996. The "Traditional Model" 1885 was introduced in 1997. The Model 1885 is still in production today.
    Read the last line again, it's on the 1885 page, the top paragraph. I read pretty good, huh?

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Fellas, Ron is so good reading without a teleprompter, maybe we oughta elect him to some kinda office or something. And he's sharp about lotsa things. And he's handsome and clean cut. If he shoots black powder, he's a sho in to win any election. But if he shoots that "other powder," we probably gonna hafta watch him cause he'll probably go wrong on other thangs too.

But ya can't go wrong with that 1885 Browning, 452. You dun gud and you are on yer way now.
    Hold center and trust your sights.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Prince View Post
    Fellas, Ron is so good reading without a teleprompter, maybe we oughta elect him to some kinda office or something. And he's sharp about lotsa things. And he's handsome and clean cut. If he shoots black powder, he's a sho in to win any election. But if he shoots that "other powder," we probably gonna hafta watch him cause he'll probably go wrong on other thangs too.

But ya can't go wrong with that 1885 Browning, 452. You dun gud and you are on yer way now.
    Hold center and trust your sights.
    Thanks, I just got conformation of shipment and it looks like I may get it Monday. I hope all the other stuff I ordered for it comes in this week so I might get to load some ammo and shoot it soon. I ordered Starline brass because of price. I would rather have Winchester of Federal but since I'm having to buy all new moulds, sizers, dies and brass at one time, I had to go cheap. Anyone have any problems with Starline?

Boolit Man

Starline brass works well for me. I use it in my 45-90 Shiloh's and 45-100 Hepburn

Boolit Bub
    Finally got my rifle today and couldn't be more pleased. Exactly as described with a few handling marks on the wood and the rest of the rifle is as close to 100% as I've seen. Now if the weather would cool down so I can cast some bullets and get to shooting I'll be in Hog Heaven. I knew I should have bought some bullets to load with so I could try the rifle but I've been burned for the last time buying bullets that are advertised as being a certain diameter and finding they aren't anywhere close.