Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: In praise of the Lee Hand Press

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    I wish you guys would not do this. I feel almost compelled to buy this tool. I don't need it, but now I want one.

Need has nothing to do with it, it's a want issue pure & simple!!!!
    This tool is pretty handy, many times I've sat in front of the TV sizing & decapping cases. It can be taken to the range or hunting camp to load ammo if needed it's small enough & you don't need a bench.
    We are a bunch of enablers aren't we???
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

i use it to resize 9mm in my makarov dies 5.000 later ,my arms are stronger . he he
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Man
    I got two, like the older ones better than the 'lock' models. Use them in combination with 310s. I've had a serious Lyman 4-hole turret press for years, but only used it once. I load more than one caliber too. They seem to give me a more precise feel for consistency, and are way easier to 'set up', but maybe because I'm used to them. Don't need a 'bench' either. Glad others like them too.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one back in 2009, when I was living in hotels as I traveled around doing work contracts. When it said "hand press" I envisioned something that used one hand. Ha ha. I don't use it much now that I have settled down. I do have a challenger single stage that I really enjoy also, that stays set up in the kitchen (yes I live alone!).
    lt

Boolit Grand Master

Here is another plus for the Lee Hand Press. I took mine to my office and reloaded 100 rounds of 9 mm Luger sitting at my desk. Was getting ready for a trip to the shooting range this Sunday and didn't have any ammo for the WWII Walther P-38 my dad had just given me. Couldn't have bolted the Pacific Super Press to my desk but the Lee Hand Press came through with flying colors.

Now I'm range ready!
    Gary

And another.... I put a RCBS Cowboy seater (38-55) in mine and load 250 gr. Lee molded boolits slip fitted over 42 gr. ffg in fireformed Starline Brass. I made a decapper, and use a RCBS priming tool to reprime the cases.
    Thought awhile about a 310 but gave up and went with the Lee. I do have a turret for other reloads.
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

Has anyone tried it with the lee push through sizes? I'm thinking holding it upside down, placing the boolit in the sizing die, closing the handle and letting sized booklets fall into a bucket. I could size while watching TV.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Has anyone tried it with the lee push through sizes? I'm thinking holding it upside down, placing the boolit in the sizing die, closing the handle and letting sized booklets fall into a bucket. I could size while watching TV.
    dudel

Be careful with bullets falling and hitting other bullets and damaging them.

Bought one about 10 years ago. I had used a rockchucker since the early 70's. I liked the load anywhere versatility of the lee tool so much and got so used to it that it's all i use anymore. The rifle groups with ammo loaded on the hand tool are carbon copys of the same ammo loaded on the rockchuck. I'd like to have one of the new ones with the breech lock system.

I use mine with the push through sizer, and love it.

In fact I've gotten to where I am double sizing. First time through to press on gas checks. Then pan lube, and run them through again to remove excess lube.

I don't use the plastic catch bin at all, I have it laying on my lap use my left hand to stabilise it, and when the bullet drops out it drops into my palm and I move it to a container. Its simple, it somehow is very relaxing, calming. Mellows me right out, makes me feel that all is well with the world. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. I'm as ready as I need to be so let it come.

It is a great tool to introduce people to reloading. My grandson brought his girl friend over last night and they loaded up a box of 9mm with it. I just watched while he explained things to her. it was a very rewarding evening for me. Next he is going to teach her to cast, size and lube some boolits.

Boolit Mold
    My mechanic called me last week to say he was thinking about starting to reload. A couple days later I went to visit him with my Lee hand press in hand. I have made up a little tool kit I can take along camping or where ever I go shooting which includes the press, a scale, the die set, a plastic container of powder, funnel, primer tool, and calipers. I brought along a manual, a few .45 shells, primers and LSWC and proceeded to demonstrate the simple process of reloading. I left him with the loan of the reloading manual so he could read about it, with a warning that right now powder is hard to find. I think I converted him to the dark side.

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a Lee loader in 30-06 for my savage 110 and the hand loader is my next purchase. It will take me a little while to gather everything for reloading but I am sure glad Lee provides a quality way to reload on a budget!!

Thanks for the website also, lots of info gleened here!

Randy

Boolit Master
    A couple of years ago, I picked one of those presses on a trade. I eventually traded it off to someone else. Almost wished I had kept it, but then again, I got 8 lbs of Bullseye for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    A couple of years ago, I picked one of those presses on a trade. I eventually traded it off to someone else. Almost wished I had kept it, but then again, I got 8 lbs of Bullseye for it.
    I'd trade one in a New York nanosecond for 8# of Bullseye!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    This is the press that I started out on. Still use it to resize as I set with the wife talking and watching tv. Reloading at work? Think I have the wrong job.

Boolit Mold
    I wrapped Para cord on my handles and taped them, helps the hand out

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazelwood View Post
    I wrapped Para cord on my handles and taped them, helps the hand out
    any pics? i'd like to see how it looks.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I've been using one since the 80's, it is the most used piece of reloading equipment I own & I have loaded countless rounds with it, often at the range from the tailgate of a truck. This is the only part I've had to replace;

I gave my first Lee hand press away after using it so much it had play in it, and wouldn't hold the shell holder in place any longer. I've kept all the moving parts on the one I now own well lubricated, and grease the ram, & am now using Mobil 1 synthetic grease & oil, just recently replaced this part above and it is working as well as it did the day I bought it long ago. I've held off on buying a new one with the breech lock, but am getting used to it on a newer Challenger press I am using on a HF bench I set up in the attic. Lee products are much better than a lot of reloading snobs would like to admit.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Banned

I have both Challengers and Hand Presses with the Breechlock system. I like the system and it is complimentary to both presses.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast