Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Savage Model 99A

Boolit Master

Savage Model 99A

Having trouble with this rifle when you put the buttstock on and tighten the stock down and snug it, you cannot put the safety in the off position. If you incrementally back the stock nut off, it will work with the safety off, but if you pull on the trigger fairly hard, it will also shoot with the safety on. Have looked at it for a little while and not discovered problem yet. Wondered if anyone has had this before.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

In Remebrance

Is this an older model 99 with the lever safety? If so it's possible you have some wood blocking the safeties travel. Look for an abraded spot near the safety. Same thing if it's a later tang safety model. Could be some crushed wood in the butt stock letting the bolt protrude into the path of the safety or possibly the tang is cracked or flexing enough to jam the lever safety. I suppose I'd also look and see if the wood is bearing properly, it could flex the tangs enough to jam the tang safety too.

On reflection, I suppose I should ask the obvious question- what did you have the stock off for in the first place?

Boolit Master
    Will it fire when pulling the trigger with the safety on and the stock completely off? If so, get thee hence to a smith who knows 99s. If it won't, then the scenarios Bret describes are to be investigated. Sounds like wood is interfering with the safety in some way.

Savage made an 1899A and a 99A, pre-war, both with lever safeties. The later post-million serial# 99 Series A has a tang safety. Shall we assume this is one of those?

Also, never ever torque the dickens out of a Savage 99 stock screw. Snug is good. That's how they develop cracks in the wrist. (Think of the top and bottom tangs of the receiver as being two wedges being driven back into the wood.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    On reflection, I suppose I should ask the obvious question- what did you have the stock off for in the first place?
    Brett, it is a later model with the tang safety. I looked for places where maybe the wood was rubbing but did not see anything obvious. The reason was because of the safety not working properly in the first place. Fortunately, I discovered the safety was not working properly with the rifle unloaded.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Will it fire when pulling the trigger with the safety on and the stock completely off? If so, get thee hence to a smith who knows 99s. If it won't, then the scenarios Bret describes are to be investigated. Sounds like wood is interfering with the safety in some way.

Savage made an 1899A and a 99A, pre-war, both with lever safeties. The later post-million serial# 99 Series A has a tang safety. Shall we assume this is one of those?

Also, never ever torque the dickens out of a Savage 99 stock screw. Snug is good. That's how they develop cracks in the wrist. (Think of the top and bottom tangs of the receiver as being two wedges being driven back into the wood.)
    gnoahh, I don't remember if I tried it that way or not. I will though. Thanks for replies.

In Remebrance

It's been years, decades actually, since I had to play with a 99 tang safety. I seem to recall fixing one that was full of gunk and dirt. Might be worth a thought.

Boolit Buddy

99 safety

Prehaps the buttstock inleting is not what it should be and its bending the tangs ever so slightly.If everything works with the stock off I'd bed it with a little epoxy and just barely set up the screw as it hardens. Frank C.