Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Modernizing the Lyman Tru-Line Jr. Press

Boolit Master

Modernizing the Lyman Tru-Line Jr. Press

Hi All.

Most of my reloading is pistol stuff. Before I had a press I used some Lyman 310 tools, and ended up buying a couple of Lyman Tru-Line Jr. presses so I could use my 310 dies with them. I used that setup for a while, but there were several things I wanted to get that needed a modern 7/8-14 threaded press, so I got a Lee Reloader Press (their single stage C press) that worked really well, and I was happy. After a while I decided I wanted to get a turret press, as they're just more versatile than a single stage press. There's a guy on both eBay, and Gun Broker that makes new turrets for the Tru-Line Jr. presses, which basically makes them into modern presses, so I bought one from him. The only thing left to complete the transformation of the press to using all modern accessories was an adapter Lyman sells to use normal snap in shell holders (Lyman calls them their X shell holders). So with one of those installed on my press, I was good to go.

There was one small problem. On the original J style shell holders there are 2 locating holes to mount the shell holder, one directly in front of the opening, and one off to the side. To mount the shell holder with it's opening facing forward on the TLJ (Tru-Line Jr.) press you would use the hole on the side. To do the same on their All American Press you would use the hole that's in front. As I like having the opening of the shell holder off to the side a bit, I used the 'wrong' hole, the one directly in front of the shell holder opening. When I got the J to X adapter it only has one hole, the one in front (I really think Lyman made this adapter only with the AA press in mind), and if I mounted it so the locking screw was in the hole like it's supposed to be, then the setscrew to lock the new style X shell holder into the adapter would be inaccessible while the adapter was mounted on the press, which would mean to change shell holders would require first loosening a setscrew holding the adapter to the press, removing the adapter, and then removing the new style shell holder from the adapter by loosening yet another setscrew! And of course the adapter seems to be hardened, so drilling a new locating hole so everything would line up right wasn't going to work. I ended up just tightening the setscrew that holds the adapter to the press just against the side of the adapter without a locating hole, and this seemed to work fine. After using this setup for a while, I noticed that the shell holder wasn't perfectly aligned with the die hole, but was off by a very small amount, nothing that made much of a difference, but occasionally I would have to hold a shell to the left a bit to get a casing into a sizing die. Oh well, I figured this is what you get when you use a third party part (the new turret), and just made due with it like it was. I recently got yet another press, a handheld Decker Press, which is a really nicely made unit, and it uses modern shell holders. So I'm thinking with 3 different presses that I use for different operations, sometimes at the same time, that I really should buy another set of shell holders in the sizes I use.

Then I remembered that I still had the old J style shell holders for 3 of the most often used calibers, and if I went back to using those in the TLJ press I would have the modern X holders for use in the other 2 presses. So I dug out the shell holders, installed the #2 (for 45ACP) onto the press, and after readjusting my dies ( the adapter/new shell holder combo is slightly taller than the original shell holder), I started reloading some 45ACP brass I just got the other day. The very first thing I noticed was that the shell holder was in PERFECT alignment with the holes in the 3rd party turret! So the misalignment that I was blaming on the turret was actually being caused by the Lyman adapter! Well, I don't have to tell you what shell holders I'll be using in the TLJ press from now on! I'll still on occasion need to use the adapter (like when using the Lee push thru sizers, or anything like that that uses a tool that mounts like a shell holder, but isn't one).

So the whole point of this message (which is starting to look like a book from it's size - sorry), was to ask, is there anyone else that uses a Tru-Line Jr. as their primary press? If so, do you use the J to X adapter, or just use the old J style shell holders?

One last thought, As I said earlier, I have 2 of the TLJ presses, and my original idea was to leave one original, so I could still use the original dies with it. Well, so far I've never used to second press since getting the new turret, and the same guy that makes the new turret also makes a 6 hole replacement turret (the original & replacement are 4 hole turrets), and so I'm thinking that I might get one of the 6 hole turrets, so when doing something that requires more than 4 stations I could use that press. (I would imagine that the 6 holes are squeezed in a bit, so it might be easier to keep using the 4 holed press as my primary unit) Now all I need to do is to start hunting down some of the other shell holder sizes I use in the J style holders.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    I do have a TLJ press but I don't use it for anything but a holder for a Lyman 55 powder measure. I do use my Lyman All American press a lot and it uses the J style shell holders also, of which I only have a couple, and just one that I use for 357. So I made an adapter to use modern shell holders and it works just fine except that one cannot prime while using them, so I prime in a separate operation. What I don't understand is why you can rotate the shell holder into the position you want, I do.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

If you look at the shell holder, assuming it's a genuine Lyman one, there are 2 holes, one directly in front of the opening in the shell holder, and one at about 45 degrees from the front. Am I correct that the screw that holds your shell holder in is directly in front of where you insert the shells? (assuming you have it set so the opening is forward) On the TLJ the same screw is at a 45 degree angle. On the Lyman adapter (which is still available from them I believe) there's only one screw hole, the one directly in front of the opening. It also has a setscrew that's on the right side to hold the modern shell holders into the adapter, but if it's put on a TLJ then that set screw is behind the casting, and unreachable unless the adapter is removed. Lyman also makes a special priming arem, I believe it's called the T priming arm, and it's extra long. If you want to be able to prime with your AA press, look into getting the Lyman shell holder adapter, and the proper 'Special T' priming arms.

I've only ever seen pictures of the AA press, and never next to the TLJ, is it a lot bigger? And is it built much stronger?
    - MikeS

I'm using two different TL Juniors, with 7/8 turrets. One does .38/.357 and the other does 9mm. I load maybe 100 rounds a week. I bought my J to X adapters from one of the major online reloading suppliers - (Midway maybe?). I any case I have no problems at all with the adapters or the shell-holders.

My .38/.357 press has the 6-hole turret. You have to use very small O.D. locknuts, or they interfere. My best solution was to use two of the aluminum Lee nuts with the O-ring.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-15-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    So the whole point of this message (which is starting to look like a book from it's size - sorry), was to ask, is there anyone else that uses a Tru-Line Jr. as their primary press? If so, do you use the J to X adapter, or just use the old J style shell holders?
    I use the TLJr presses to load handgun rounds. I have several, one dedicated to each of the handgun cartridges for which I load. I use 310 dies and J shellholders. I found the J-X adapters to be a bit of a hassle to use due to the lock screw issue you described. I have a more or less complete set of J shellholders for the cartridges I want to load, letting me get away with not using the J-X adapter.

I have considered modifying one station of the TLJr tool head for a 7/8x14 die in order to have the option to use a carbide sizer, but other than that I am content with them as is.

I also use a Lyman AA press, almost exclusively for 30-06. I use the J shellholder there as well. Most of the rifle cartridges I might potentially use the AA for are based on either the 30-06/308 or the 30-30 case heads and I have J shellholders for those.

The other issue with the J-X adapter is that it reduces the amount of working space between the shellholder and the die, which may be an issue with some of the mid length/short action rifle cartridges in the TLJr and some of the longer rifle cartridges on the AA.

-ktw

Banned
    Mike S The AA press is a full size turret press, nearly twice the size of the tiny T-L Jr. But, it is made of aluminum so stronger, yes but...
    It uses a bottom mounted transvers shaft to operate the linkage, like a C-H H press or a Hollywood. Probably has slightly better mechanical advantage than the T-L Jr with either of its linkage types.

The T-L Jr was my first press and I still use it from time to time. I have added a press that has the original turret reamed and tapped for 7/8-14 tpi dies. Never tried it though.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Tru Line in exactly the opening post's setup for 45-70. I have the same misalignment of the cases and I'm also pretty sure it is the shell holder. It works awesome otherwise.

Do you know how the 6 hole turret indexes? As I remember, there is a detent ball/spring in the turret and 4 position holes on the press. I don't see how you can make that 6 position without modifying the press.

Anyway, I'm going to start shopping for an old style case holder.

Boolit Mold
    In order to have 6-station, you must have a 6 hole pattern machined into the bottom (blank side) of the index ring. The index ring is located on the press right under the turret, and is removed by loosening the 2 set screws.

Boolit Master

I was under the impression that the guy that sells the 6 hole turrets also has the index ring available that's already setup for the 6 hole turret, doesn't he?

I have another issue, with my #2 J type shell holder it seems like it was made a bit on the tight side, and some brass I can only get into or out of the shell holder by twisting the cartridge case while inserting it or removing it. I started using a #6 shell holder (the one for the 30-30) for 45ACP, and while a bit loose, it seems to work fine. I have J holders for the 45ACP case (#2, the one that's tight), #6 for 30-30 (I have 2 of this one), #1 for 38Spec. I need to get ones for 45LC, 44Spec. (those should be the same one, right?) as well as one for 45 Auto Rim. That would make it so I would only need to use the J to X adapter when using something like a Lee push thru sizer, or anything else like that which needs a custom shell holder (also like the Lee Lead Hardness Tester). Is there any place to get these J type holders other than eBay? (or GunBroker, etc.)
    - MikeS

Boolit Master
    I modified a Tru Line Jr about 3 years ago using one of the 6 hole turrets.

At that time the guy on e bay, same guy as GB, advised that I would need to remove the detent ring on my press and send it to him with payment for the new turret. He would machine the base (blank) side for 6 detent positions and return it with the new turret.

I recieved the whole set up in about 2 weeks and had no trouble putting it all back together. The donor Tru line was a compound linkage model and I found it would size 44 mag case with ease if I used a carbide die and just a touch of Imperial sizing die wax.

I didn't really need the wax but when I can feel a difference in the effort required to do something I generally go that direction. Besides the Imperial wax bothers nothing in the loading cycle particularly in the minimal amount I use for this operation in this press.

I now have two tru lines and a AA press. two have the Lyman shell holder adapter the other is a dedicated 38 special wadcutter loading station which uses the original shell holder.

I've had zero problem with shell holder alingment but Lyman has had issue in the past years with QC so anything can happen I suggest returning it and or trying another to see if that cures the issue.

Since primng and de priming is such an issue with these two press designs I do all my depriming on a Lee challanger press with the universal depriming die. Case's are then tumbled clean primer pockets checked and cleaned / reamed and then loading starts with a Lee hand priming tool on the bench next to the press.

I realize I could feed these by hand during the loading cycle I simply detest handling primer because of the fear of some wild unusual wierd contamination.

Strange but all my loads go bang all the time every time so I figure it works for me.

My original intent in modifing the tru lines was a light portable press that could be taken to the range for load testing and not have to tote a bunch of hard to come by dies or degreasing stuff as part of the package.

So far the idea has worked well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Simonpie View Post
    I use a Tru Line in exactly the opening post's setup for 45-70. I have the same misalignment of the cases and I'm also pretty sure it is the shell holder. It works awesome otherwise.
    I'm just curious, with the shell holder adapter, do you mount it into the TLJ using the hole that's designed to take the screw to hold it in, or do you do Like me, and just tighten the screw against the adapter body? I'm asking, because I was looking at it a bit more just now, and decided to try and mount it using the proper mounting position (setscrew going into the hole), and although I've since lost that itty bitty setscrew (I had put on a longer thumbscrew to make changing shell holders easier), so instead, to hold the shell holder in place I put a thin wave washer I had here between the shell holder, and it's adapter, mounted the adapter 'correctly' and now there's no more misalignment!

I could be wrong (I am more often than I like!), but as I'm looking at it now, I think the original idea Lyman had with these adapters wasn't to make it so you used one adapter, and changed out the shell holders, but rather I think you're supposed to buy a number of the adapters, and mount your X shell holders into the adapter, then leave the X holder semi-permanently mounted into the adapter, and change out the whole thing (adapter & shell holder) when you want to change calibers.

When looking up the shell holder numbers, it looks like Lyman didn't make a shell holder for the 45AR, so any hope of finding one of those is gone! I think I will try and find some more of these adapters, then buy a set of Lee shell holders, and use the press that way. As it is, I happen to like having the opening off to the side, so I've been using the screw hole that's in front of the holder's opening, rather than the one on the side that positions the holder's opening straight ahead.
    Last edited by MikeS; 07-18-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
    - MikeS

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I'm just curious, with the shell holder adapter, do you mount it into the TLJ using the hole that's designed to take the screw to hold it in, or do you do Like me, and just tighten the screw against the adapter body? I'm asking, because I was looking at it a bit more just now, and decided to try and mount it using the proper mounting position (setscrew going into the hole), and although I've since lost that itty bitty setscrew (I had put on a longer thumbscrew to make changing shell holders easier), so instead, to hold the shell holder in place I put a thin wave washer I had here between the shell holder, and it's adapter, mounted the adapter 'correctly' and now there's no more misalignment!
    I do run the set screw into the hole. I only run one caliber right now, so I haven't been sweating the holder swapout. I may be doing 357 soon, but I have an original Lyman turret and "310" style dies for this caliber.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Lyman made a #14A "J" shellholder for the thicker-rimmed .45 Auto-Rim, but they are scarce! floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Mold
    Hello, I recently bought a TLJ press and I would love to have an updated turret. I've looked on ebay for the replacement turrets, but haven't seen any. Does anyone on here have contact info for the guy that makes/made the updated turrets? I would really appreciate it.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got a Tru-line jr also. It came from an estate with a bunch of other stuff. I have been evaluating what to do with it. One option would be to set it up as a dedicated pistol loading station, with a 7/8” modern turret. Apparently they aren’t very strong, not really any good for sizing.

This guy makes custom ones. He has a picture of one on his Facebook page.

Dave’s Mini Machine Shop

JM

Boolit Grand Master

1) the 14A shell holder also fits the 44-40 so should be relatively available.

2) I need contact information for Dave's Mini Machine Shop and I'm not on facebook. I got one of the six place turrets years ago and then got a second TLjr and need the detent ring modified on that one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a TL Jr that was given to my father and me almost 50 years ago. It’s been bolted to a corner of the bench almost that long and was used for loading a variety of cartridges; but it is now about totally devoted to loading 32 S&W Long. I also have mounted one on a 2X4 that I would clamp to a bench at the range... great for loading my 32-40s and 45-70s.

I can’t get too excited about trying to upgrade or retrofit any of my (several) TL Jrs because I recognize their size and strength limitations. I have an All American turret press for bigger jobs and several single stage presses for real muscle. I just don’t want to push a TL Jr beyond the limits of its abilities. JMHO - YMMV

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C861B02-31D4-42B7-B6CA-F3B063CE7052.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	273199

Dave’s mini machine shop

I do not endorse this guy, I haven’t bought anything from him. But it does seem that he could make what you need.

JM

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorDave View Post
    Hello, I recently bought a TLJ press and I would love to have an updated turret. I've looked on ebay for the replacement turrets, but haven't seen any. Does anyone on here have contact info for the guy that makes/made the updated turrets? I would really appreciate it.
    I purchased two of Dave’s turrets on ebay a few years back, first rate quality. Would not hesitate to buy again.

From his fb page: “You can text my wife at 239-218-7956 to place an order. Thank you”
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar